GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

question about running lean

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/06, 11:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A while back i recieved a custom sct xcal2 tune by md motorsports. The tune had a tune for my AirAid Intake, W/o venturi tube, 91 octane. Very noticable power increase by the way [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] . I recently called my local dyno shop, and they are offering 100 bucks for three runs, and including hooking up their A/f ration cables to see how im doing.

In the mean time how would i no if im running lean or not? And if they do find that its running lean..would they tune it for me at their shop? WOuld that cost extra? sry for all the questions guyz..just trying to narrow down my wondering haha [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 11:54 PM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baginoman2 @ February 4, 2006, 10:45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
A while back i recieved a custom sct xcal2 tune by md motorsports. The tune had a tune for my AirAid Intake, W/o venturi tube, 91 octane. Very noticable power increase by the way [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] . I recently called my local dyno shop, and they are offering 100 bucks for three runs, and including hooking up their A/f ration cables to see how im doing.

In the mean time how would i no if im running lean or not? And if they do find that its running lean..would they tune it for me at their shop? WOuld that cost extra? sry for all the questions guyz..just trying to narrow down my wondering haha [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I myself am in the middle of some tuning issues. I would try out the dyno tune, if possible...

As far as costing extra, it most definately would. They would charge you by the hour to tune, as opposed to chargeing you by the amout of dyno runs.
Old 2/4/06, 11:55 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S197 GT @ February 5, 2006, 12:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I myself am in the middle of some tuning issues. I would try out the dyno tune, if possible...
[/b][/quote]

really? whats up? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/4/06, 11:57 PM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baginoman2 @ February 4, 2006, 10:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
really? whats up? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I still have some hesitation under load. When I was datalogging, I was jumping up to 48 degrees of timing! I'm not sure exactlly what that means, but from the guy tuning my car earlier today, it wasn't good! I am tring to work this out, and will have to spend some time on the dyno to fix it.
Old 2/4/06, 11:59 PM
Bullitt Member

wow man good luck with all of that, is he charging u to re tune and all of that? Wonder what could be causing that.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 12:05 AM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baginoman2 @ February 4, 2006, 11:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
wow man good luck with all of that, is he charging u to re tune and all of that? Wonder what could be causing that.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, it gonna cost me a pretty penny. Looks like the rims will have to wait a little while longer. But at this point, I want to make sure my car is running right!

I'm not sure what is causing it, but I know it will take a lot of trial and error with mail in and emailed tunes. I wish I lived on the East Coast, where these SCT guys are. I have an Xcal2 and no one around here can tune with it. Only Diablo [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img] I wish I could go to Bamachips and get a dyno tune, but I can't so I'll be getting a DiabloSport and getting a dyno tune.

This is not to be expected. Something seems to be wrong with my car. The tuner was a little baffled, but I know we'll get it right with some dyno tuning!
Old 2/5/06, 12:09 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S197 GT @ February 5, 2006, 1:08 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah, it gonna cost me a pretty penny. Looks like the rims will have to wait a little while longer. But at this point, I want to make sure my car is running right!

I'm not sure what is causing it, but I know it will take a lot of trial and error with mail in and emailed tunes. I wish I lived on the East Coast, where these SCT guys are. I have an Xcal2 and no one around here can tune with it. Only Diablo [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img] I wish I could go to Bamachips and get a dyno tune, but I can't so I'll be getting a DiabloSport and getting a dyno tune.

This is not to be expected. Something seems to be wrong with my car. The tuner was a little baffled, but I know we'll get it right with some dyno tuning!
[/b][/quote]

ughhhh this is scarying the living s&*& out of me... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] i ono man
Old 2/5/06, 12:28 AM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baginoman2 @ February 4, 2006, 11:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ughhhh this is scarying the living s&*& out of me... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] i ono man
[/b][/quote]

Don;t let my situation scare you, I think I just am the bad seed! I don't knwo anyone else that is having this issue...
Old 2/5/06, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(S197 GT @ February 5, 2006, 12:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I still have some hesitation under load. When I was datalogging, I was jumping up to 48 degrees of timing! I'm not sure exactlly what that means, but from the guy tuning my car earlier today, it wasn't good! I am tring to work this out, and will have to spend some time on the dyno to fix it.
[/b][/quote]
Sorry about being off topic, but how did you get your data logging to work with your Xcal 2
Old 2/5/06, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvm051 @ February 5, 2006, 10:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sorry about being off topic, but how did you get your data logging to work with your Xcal 2
[/b][/quote]

hey jvm051 didnt urs run alittle lean when u brang it in? And u also have the same exact tune as i do.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baginoman2 @ February 5, 2006, 10:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
hey jvm051 didnt urs run alittle lean when u brang it in? And u also have the same exact tune as i do.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Yes just a bit, but don't you have an auto? Your program will be different from mine. And are you noticing any pinging when hitting the gas hard? Only way to tell is to get the A/F checked when getting the dyno tuned. I already have new tunes stored on my home computer for my gear swap, when I get back from vacation. In the E-mail I sent to Ken for the new tunes, I included the dyno runs from the place I had do the dyno. When he was making the adjustments, he also made adjustments to the fuel also. After you get you dyno run completed, have them E-mail you the dyno runs, that way if there is a issue, Ken can see where based on the A/F. But if you are not noticing any pinging you proably are fine. $100 bucks to me is money well spent on a $20000+ automobile. Plus you live in CA, and I am in AZ, and our gas sucks due to the blend. Once you get it checked, use a top tier gasoline, and pedal to the metal (on the track of course).

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 2/5/06, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvm051 @ February 5, 2006, 1:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Plus you live in CA, and I am in AZ, and our gas sucks due to the blend. Once you get it checked, use a top tier gasoline, and pedal to the metal (on the track of course).

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
[/b][/quote]

AZ here too.Just curious, where do you get your gas?
Old 2/5/06, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

[quote name='jvm051' date='February 5, 2006, 2:57 PM' post='635185']
Yes just a bit, but don't you have an auto? Your program will be different from mine. And are you noticing any pinging when hitting the gas hard? Only way to tell is to get the A/F checked when getting the dyno tuned. I already have new tunes stored on my home computer for my gear swap, when I get back from vacation. In the E-mail I sent to Ken for the new tunes, I included the dyno runs from the place I had do the dyno. When he was making the adjustments, he also made adjustments to the fuel also. After you get you dyno run completed, have them E-mail you the dyno runs, that way if there is a issue, Ken can see where based on the A/F. But if you are not noticing any pinging you proably are fine. $100 bucks to me is money well spent on a $20000+ automobile. Plus you live in CA, and I am in AZ, and our gas sucks due to the blend. Once you get it checked, use a top tier gasoline, and pedal to the metal (on the track of course)

hmmmmmmmmm pinging..? What exactly does this feel like? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/5/06, 04:17 PM
3rd Times A Charm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvm051 @ February 5, 2006, 8:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I didn't. The place I went for my gear install was a DiabloSport dealer. They had me data log with the Predator. Does that make sence.
Old 2/5/06, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pike @ February 5, 2006, 3:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
AZ here too.Just curious, where do you get your gas?
[/b][/quote]
I usually go with Quick Trip, but I also have had good luck with Mobil. I was told to avoid Chevron though.
Old 2/5/06, 09:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvm051 @ February 5, 2006, 9:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I usually go with Quick Trip, but I also have had good luck with Mobil. I was told to avoid Chevron though.
[/b][/quote]

I was told Chevron [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
But I'll follow the lead of a much more knowledgeable Arizonian [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/worship.gif[/img]