GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes Violators fitment issues...help !

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/08 | 12:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Pypes Violators fitment issues...help !

Guys and gals,

I'm having a hell of a time lining up my passenger side Violator muffler. The tip is actually touching against the valance. I have tightened all the bolts, but it just seems like the hangers aren't positioned properly. The driver side is much better but not perfect yet.

Has anyone had this issue (I know some on here have) and how did you resolve it? I'm pretty frustrated at the moment....

Last edited by Rebel73; 10/6/08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10/6/08 | 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I had this exact problem and no amount of adjusting the mid-pipes would help. I had to bend the hangers on the Violators to make them fit. I used a MAP gas torch (just MAP, no oxygen!!!) to heat the hangers and bent them using pliers. It took some trial and error but I got them to fit nicely.
Before you do that, make sure the hangers and mid-pipes are all adjusted properly and that you are pushing the muffler towards the front of the car.

I decided to go back to the stock mufflers because I couldn't stand the drone from the Violators. They sounded awesome but they were way too loud for me.
Old 10/6/08 | 05:57 AM
Cobra R Member

From what you've stated, it doesn't sound like you've moved the over axle pipes at all. Loosen the passenger side over axle pipe where it meets the midpipe and twist it. This should give you all of the adjustment you need. Some people have had fitment issues to where that wouldn't fix it either, but this works in most cases (and this is not limited to the Violators). Also, make sure you have the hangers in right. There are several ways that they will fit to the body, and switching them around will make a big difference as to where the tip ends up.
Old 10/6/08 | 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I adjusted the over-axle/mid-pipes ad nauseam and could not get the Violators to fit. No amount of adjusting worked because of how Pypes welded/oriented the hangers on the muffler, or at least in my case. Had they installed the hangers like everyone else in the market, it would make the installation much easier. I loosened the over-axle/mid-pipes to the point you could just remove them from the car entirely. They only allow so much adjustment without modifying the hangers.
Old 10/6/08 | 11:54 AM
Cobra R Member

hmmm,

I'm gonna fidget with over axle pipe some more, but if that doesn't do it, I might just take it to the muffler shop down the street. I don't have access to a MAP torch. Is this something a muffler shop could more easily resolve?
Old 10/6/08 | 04:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Ok,

I took it to the local muffler shop and they take a torch to it, and now it's just right. They charged me $40, but it was worth it to save further headache!

I don't really hear the drone that people are talking about...but otherwise they sound great!
Old 10/6/08 | 06:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Does it drone at 1500-1800 RPM? Even my stock mufflers have drone.
Old 10/6/08 | 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Does it drone at 1500-1800 RPM? Even my stock mufflers have drone.
Mebbe I'm just partially deaf, but I really don't hear anything much at all. These are actually much quieter than the setup on my 05 Stang - Magnaflows and Pypes OR/H ....

of course, if I went with an OR/H with these mufflers, I bet it would be crazy loud!
Old 10/6/08 | 09:15 PM
V6 Member

I had these for a while, fit was Ok but went back to stock, the drone was aweful... and I like it loud.
Old 10/6/08 | 09:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Violators installed...

Anyhow, here's the end product...car's pretty dusty.

Old 10/7/08 | 12:07 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Ok,

I took it to the local muffler shop and they take a torch to it, and now it's just right. They charged me $40, but it was worth it to save further headache!

I don't really hear the drone that people are talking about...but otherwise they sound great!
I also had to take my 05 GT to a muffler shop, in which the wire looms (hangers) had to be heated, and then bent upward, in order for the tips to line up just right.

Needless to say, the $35 they charged me, was well worth it. Thus saving further headache on my part as well.
Old 10/7/08 | 04:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Mebbe I'm just partially deaf, but I really don't hear anything much at all. These are actually much quieter than the setup on my 05 Stang - Magnaflows and Pypes OR/H ....

of course, if I went with an OR/H with these mufflers, I bet it would be crazy loud!
I have the stock cats, stock H-pipe, and the Violators were unbearable at 1500-1800 RPM. If I start up the Stang in the garage, I make sure to keep the doors and windows shut!

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I also had to take my 05 GT to a muffler shop, in which the wire looms (hangers) had to be heated, and then bent upward, in order for the tips to line up just right.

Needless to say, the $35 they charged me, was well worth it. Thus saving further headache on my part as well.
Rocky: I distinctly recall you mentioning that you took your GT to a shop and they just aligned the pipes. Did you have to bring it back? I don' think the MAP gas I used to heat the hangers cost me anywhere close to $35, although I did get it aligned almost perfectly (give or take a few millimeters). I used gauge blocks to align the tips.
Old 10/7/08 | 08:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Mine didn't drone at all. It's weird how some heard drone and some don't with these. I wonder if the material makes a difference. I know at least a few of the people that had drone had the polished version. Mine were the non-polished version and I never got drone out of them.
Old 10/7/08 | 08:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Did you ever run them with the stock H-pipe and stock cats? I hear that if you upgrade to Pro Chambers or get rid of the stock cats, a lot of the mufflers no longer drone.
Old 10/7/08 | 09:40 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, I got the unpolished version, if it makes any difference. On the drive to work this morning, I lowered the windows and shut the radio off and paid closer attention. I could barely hear what I think people are referring to. It was so slight it's a non-issue for me. I must say that this setup is still quieter than the Magnaflow/OR-H combo I had on my 05 Stang. I'm thinking I'm gonna be looking at another OR-H or high-flo catted H in the future.

It's definitely louder than stock, and the tips look sweet, but I guess I like it LOUD....
Old 10/7/08 | 09:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My polished Violators drone like a ****. My neighbors say they can hear my Stang start up in the morning. Coasting down the highway at 1800-2000 RPM gives me a major headache.
Old 10/7/08 | 09:59 AM
GT Member

I love mine. They sound great. I changed over to a highflow cat X pipe and the sound changed a lot over the stock h pipe. Still not loud but has a great sound. I'm glad I choose them. If I had it to go over again I would still order them.

Just my 2 cents worths.

My passenger side was still a little close so I just tighted all the bolts up on the hangers and the exhaust and then I put my foot on the tip and pushed it over. It worked and is still in the same spot.
Old 10/7/08 | 03:30 PM
Cobra R Member

I had them with and without off road pipe. With the stock mid pipe, there was, to me, very faint drone. With the off road pipe, there was no drone. That's not to say I couldn't hear the exhaust in the car. Of course I could. But there was definitely no drone. I miss them at times. My Magnaflow's, even with my off road H, or very quiet in comparison. But I got a great deal for them and was trying to keep my car quiet for a while. I think I'll be going with the Pypes MMS next year.
Old 10/11/08 | 02:23 AM

I have the stock cats, stock H-pipe, and the Violators were unbearable at 1500-1800 RPM. If I start up the Stang in the garage, I make sure to keep the doors and windows shut!

Rocky: I distinctly recall you mentioning that you took your GT to a shop and they just aligned the pipes. Did you have to bring it back? I don' think the MAP gas I used to heat the hangers cost me anywhere close to $35, although I did get it aligned almost perfectly (give or take a few millimeters). I used gauge blocks to align the tips.
Charlie: yes, you are correct. I had to take my car back to the muffler shop, because after I uninstalled my stock H-pipe, and then installed my MAC Prochamber. I was once again unable to align the pipe on the driver's side. So as a direct result, the muffler shop had to re-adjust the alignment by heating the wire loom/hanger, and then taking a 2X4 block to the hanger, and was then able to re-align the tips, by pushing up on the wire loom/hanger.

Needless to say, I probably would've been much better off. If I had went with an off-road Prochamber setup along with my stock mufflers, rather than put up with all the alignment headaches involved with the Pypes 304 polished mufflers.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/11/08 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10/11/08 | 02:30 AM

Did you ever run them with the stock H-pipe and stock cats? I hear that if you upgrade to Pro Chambers or get rid of the stock cats, a lot of the mufflers no longer drone.
From my understanding, if running an off-road pipe. They will still drone, unless your running either cats or a resonator.

Quick Reply: Pypes Violators fitment issues...help !