GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes O/R H-pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/08, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pypes O/R H-pipe Question

I recently bought a used Pypes O/R H-pipe with no instructions for my 08 GT and was hoping to install this weekend. Since I don't have the instructions I went to their site to see if they have them on there but was only able to find instructions for the x-pipe, not the H. I figure they are the same for the most part for installation so I wasn't concerned but it got me curious about not being on there so I tried to find the H-pipe on their product page and couldn't find it there either, although they have it for the 94-04. Does anyone know if this has been discontinued or do they just not put it on the site? I see Brenspeed still has it on their site.

Another thing I noticed when looking at the x-pipe instructions is it has a note on the picture that shows sleeves that may need to be installed on late 07 and 08 models for a "proper seal" at the manifold. Does this imply the exhaust manifold is different on late 07 and 08 models and does this only apply to the x-pipe and not the h-pipe? I wouldn't know why they would be different though. This all made me curious and now I want to make sure I have everything I need before taking the stock h-pipe off and also wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks for the help.
Old 9/26/08, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't think you'll need anything different on the 07/08s compared to the earlier model. I've installed/removed/installed mine probably a dozen times over the last three years. It is a straight forward install....... you could check TacoBill's hot links I believe he has details.
Old 9/26/08, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Link to the hotlinks......... 2nd link from the top.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=441678
Old 9/26/08, 08:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I don't think you'll need anything different on the 07/08s compared to the earlier model. I've installed/removed/installed mine probably a dozen times over the last three years. It is a straight forward install....... you could check TacoBill's hot links I believe he has details.
Thanks for the link. It does look fairly straight forward as I was hoping. It still makes me wonder what the sleeves they have on their instructions are for?

http://pysales.com/inst/XFM23-26%20instructions.pdf

I don't know why you would need those if the manifolds haven't changed. Any thoughts? Thanks again.
Old 9/26/08, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

99.9% sure that the manifolds haven't changed.
Old 9/26/08, 09:35 PM
V6 Member

you'll love the sound when you're done the install
Old 9/28/08, 12:15 AM
V6 Member

I got it on tonight. The only thing I noticed that may be different on 08 is there are no hangers to hang the h-pipe on. It comes with the rods to hang in the hangers just below the transmission cross-member but no haner is there. It appears the whole thing is supported by the mounts at the manifold and whatever hangers are in the back by the axle. It did sound like I have a leak but it appears they are coming from the clamps so I adjusted them and I'll see if that helped in the morning.

On a side note, when I cranked the car after re-installing the battery and the car still on jack stands, I got warning light for the tire pressure monitoring system. Is this normal when the tires are off the ground? I wouldn't see why it would as the tires still have pressure in them.
Old 9/28/08, 01:10 AM
V6 Member

did you get a tune for the offroad setup ? if not you will need 1 to turn off your rear 02 sensors thats proably what thew your code
Old 9/28/08, 09:16 AM
V6 Member

I have a tune for the off road. This was specifically for the Tire Pressure System with the Tire Icon instead of check engine light.
Old 9/28/08, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

huh well there you got me i never cranked it up while still on stands ..........
Old 9/28/08, 11:02 AM
V6 Member

Stumped me too. The only thing that I messed with that could affect the TPMS was disconnecting the battery. I disconnected and connected as I should, negative off first and then back on last. One thing that was weird when I first touched the negative back to the terminal the horn beeped lightly and I took it back off. When I put it back on no horn and it cranked fine, but then I had the warning. After reading more about the TPMS I see the horn beeps at certain steps when teaching or activating the sensors. I don't see why but maybe something shorted or blew a fuse when connecting the battery back up. I'm going to lower the car back down and disconnect the battery again and see if that helps. That should atleast tell me if having all wheels off the ground affects the system. If that doesn't work I guess I'll start a new thread on the TPMS.
Old 9/28/08, 11:30 AM
V6 Member

I don't know why but the warning is now not on when I crank it, even in the air. I'll post an update after the test drive.
Old 9/28/08, 12:03 PM

I also installed my Pypes, O/R H yesterday. We followed Tacobill's instructions perfectly. The car started up just fine and runs as good as ever. I don't have a tune for this but am using MIL eliminators. I still managed to get a check engine light, but it says that it is my battery, and my dash says I need to check my charging system. ANy ideas what could be causing this ?
Old 9/28/08, 12:17 PM
V6 Member

Did you make sure to hook the other wire that attaches to the positive terminal, if you unhooked it from the terminal? I followed it and it appears to be coming from the alternator. I would imagine if this wasn't attached you would probably get that sort of code. Just a guess though.
Old 9/28/08, 02:31 PM
V6 Member

Took it for a test drive and no TPMS warning anymore. Not sure what happened there but so far so good. As far as the H-pipe goes I think one of the rear hangars came out as something was moving when I would go over a bump. I'll look up under the rear later tonight. I was afraid of the sound when I first heard it idling but it sounds great. Nice upgrade so far.
Old 9/28/08, 05:25 PM

Thanks Bigjht, I looked at it again, and apparently there are 3 cables that have to be connected, and you were right I missed the one that goes to the alternator. I love the sound of mine with my Max a/b. What do you think of yours.
Old 9/28/08, 07:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05slvrgt
Thanks Bigjht, I looked at it again, and apparently there are 3 cables that have to be connected, and you were right I missed the one that goes to the alternator. I love the sound of mine with my Max a/b. What do you think of yours.
Glad I could help. I almost didn't put it back on myself. As far as the sound I like it alot. Kinda gives it an old school muscle car sound even with the stock axle back. It's also pretty cool that I can stomp on it and it lets out a roar and then let off and it almost sounds as quiet as stock. I'm going to have to adjust the driver's side again though. It's hitting a brace just past the axle in the back. That's the sound I was hearing when I went on my test drive and I think it is the sound I thought was an exhaust leak at lower RPMs.

On a side note, I also installed my MGW shifter in the process and it rocks. Well worth the money.
Old 9/29/08, 06:48 PM
V6 Member

I found my exhaust leak tonight. It was coming from the crossover section with the U-bolt clamp, and of course I broke the clamp over tightening it. I'll get another clamp tomorrow but does anyone know of possibly a better clamp that I could put there? I know the best thing would be to get it welded but for the time being I'll be using a clamp. Oh yeah, here is a pic of where the hangers are on the h-pipe but no bracket to put them. I guess they took them off in 08 or changed something. Does anyone else have a pic of theirs on an 05-07 GT to compare? Taco Bill's right up doesn't have pictures that show the hangers.
Attached Thumbnails Pypes O/R H-pipe Question-h-pipe-resized-2.jpg  

Last edited by Bigjht; 9/29/08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 9/30/08, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

I found the O/R was a bit longer than stock, which pushed the left muffler hanger back and it was hitting the inner bumper. Quick 1/4" off with a grinder solved that. Also had no hangers with the stock H, and O/R the previous own just chopped them off.

Were did you source your MIL's from , could use a set...
Old 9/30/08, 10:43 PM
V6 Member

Did you guys tighten the crossover clamp before installing or did you attach to the manifolds and tighten everything once fitted in place? I got a new u-bolt clamp today and I'm still getting a leak at the crossover. It is mainly noticeable at startup and then once the exhaust warms up the sound goes away. I don't know if the pipe expands once hot and fills the gap or what. Does anyone know of a better type of clamp until I can get these welded up? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Pypes O/R H-pipe Question