GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pypes Mid Muffler system Loudness Rating?

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/08, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pypes Mid Muffler system Loudness Rating?

On a scale of 1-10 what would you guys rate mating the Offroad Prochamber with the Pypes Mid Muffler system... Especially compared to say SLP Loudmouths with stock H pipe and cats
Old 3/13/08, 02:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JRay05stang
On a scale of 1-10 what would you guys rate mating the Offroad Prochamber with the Pypes Mid Muffler system... Especially compared to say SLP Loudmouths with stock H pipe and cats

How old are you? PM Larry...(Aircare84) about this. He did not have a Prochamber but he had the PMMS with the stock H-pipe and cats and loved it. I helped him install longtube headers and he ran the PMMS for about a week before pulling them and put back the stock over the axle pipes and GTA mufflers. In his words and I quote " it sounding like a Harley going down the road". To him it was annoying loud. But he's old...over 50. P.S. and I had an offroad Prochamber setup and I can tell you the Prochamber will not tone things down much.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/13/08 at 02:41 PM.
Old 3/13/08, 02:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why off road, why not high flow cats? Taking off the cats makes the exhaust sound messy IMO. Cats make it sound so much more refined. I ran ofroad pipes for a year and a half and lliked it but I think highflow cats make it sound a lot better.Thats just me though...
Old 3/13/08, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Why off road, why not high flow cats? Taking off the cats makes the exhaust sound messy IMO. Cats make it sound so much more refined. I ran ofroad pipes for a year and a half and lliked it but I think highflow cats make it sound a lot better.Thats just me though...
Who makes a good set of high flow cats for the mustang that would go good with the prochamber... I have to have a prochamber I just love the sound it creates!
Old 3/13/08, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Who makes a good set of high flow cats for the mustang that would go good with the prochamber... I have to have a prochamber I just love the sound it creates!

MRT makes a High Flow Catted H pipe. I would like to try one out as well vs getting a OR/H.
Old 3/13/08, 04:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I would like to know if there are any highflow catted legs that will fit with the prochamber, I will not give up my prochamber!
Old 3/13/08, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't comment on the stingers, but the Mid-muffler setup with the stock H & cats sounds good
Here's a vid I made of mine with that setup;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANDdIp2GjY

Once the cats are off, it's LOUD! I did install long tubes than as well.
Could only run it for a week, then I removed the Mid-muff system.
Like Scott mentioned, it sounded like a cross between a Harly & a Nacar car, not very good IMO. Scott made a few short vids before & after the LT's install, so you can compare, but you'll need to max out your speaker voluum to even come close to how loud it was.
If you want to wake all the neighbors & set off alarms as you go by,it would work for you. I'd say the sound level increased by over twice vs. running the stock H & cats.
Here's a short clip of mine on the dyno with my current setup, LT's,O/R H & FRPP GTA's;
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q...rstdynorun.flv
It's currently about 1/2 as loud as with the Mid-muffler setup.
I'd suggest installing the Mid-muffler system with the stock H & cats first, see how you like that before going with a O/R H.

Last edited by aircare84; 3/13/08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 3/13/08, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Ya I really am looking into the high flow cats, prochamber, and the mid muffler system... The prochamber can be bought as a direct fit replacement for the stock H pipe, so I am sure you can run the high flow cats with that set up... What are your guys thoughs? Any recommendation for high flow cats?
Old 3/13/08, 09:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bet the prochamber with the pypes MM will sound pretty sick.

i have LT's, catted x, and the MM and i love the sound.

it is loud, but not overly loud in my opinion.... oh and im 22 years old, i know people have different ideas of loudness, if this helps at all
Old 3/13/08, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i bet the prochamber with the pypes MM will sound pretty sick.

i have LT's, catted x, and the MM and i love the sound.

it is loud, but not overly loud in my opinion.... oh and im 22 years old, i know people have different ideas of loudness, if this helps at all
I totally agree... I love the loudness but I HATE drone... I figure maybe the prochamber and the straight through design of the mm system bein in the middle of the car instead of the back will help with the drone... I hope so at least!
Old 3/13/08, 11:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Anyone have an idea of where to get some catted legs for the prochamber?
Old 3/13/08, 11:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok you can get a prochamber that will fit the stock cats of our mustangs or the prochamber that has the offroad legs... I would suggest getting the offroad legs and getting something like the pypes high flow cats and welding them into the offroad legs... their cats are like 75 each I think... I may be wrong here though I have been researching all night... ah exhaust dilemmas!
Old 3/14/08, 12:01 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Ok you can get a prochamber that will fit the stock cats of our mustangs or the prochamber that has the offroad legs... I would suggest getting the offroad legs and getting something like the pypes high flow cats and welding them into the offroad legs... their cats are like 75 each I think... I may be wrong here though I have been researching all night... ah exhaust dilemmas!
My bad, I already have a prochamber installed with the offroad legs in my garage... Thats the only thing I don't want to do is have to weld in cats, theres gotta be some catted legs that will fit with the prochamber...

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 3/14/08 at 12:02 AM.
Old 3/14/08, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

In my 19 year old opinion, I think the system I am running (BBK LTs, Catted X, and Pypes MM) is very streetable while still being on the loud side at higher rpms.

I can cruise around town while staying under 2500 rpms and it is definitely noticable but not TOO loud. Anything at 3K+ at more than 3/4 throttle around town and your asking for trouble- Just ask the Police Officer who pulled me over for merging onto a main road from a stoplight.
Old 3/17/08, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats right!

at 3k the pypes MM system starts to scream!!! she really wakes up and demands attention.
Old 3/18/08, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok I know I have asked this a billion times... but how much louder will an offroad prochamber and pypes mm system be over just SLP Loudmouths... I need to figure this out so I can go ahead and order the blasted things! I am considering getting pypes high flow cats to weld into the offroad legs of the prochamber? I wonder how that will sound?
Old 3/18/08, 10:36 AM
V6 Member

Keep us updated with what you are going to do... I have the pypes mm system with the stock H, and could use a little more loudness. I had a Pypes O/R H, and it sounded GREAT but was TOO loud for me (im 26 y/o if that matters lol). I am considering a catted x, but I'm afraid that the MM system will lose some of the growl, and burbling which it had with the O/R H.

Whoever is running the MM and just the catted X, did the MM system lose some of its deepness, and have more of a higher pitched sound (which the X pipes generally provide?). In your opinion, does it sound like an old school muscle car, or a "new-age muscle car"?
Old 3/18/08, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...ust_147697.htm

This video is the ultimate sound I want for my mustang... He has Longtubes, Offroad Prochamber, and Pypes Mid Muffler system... I honestly do not think that car sounds to loud at all... but maybe the camera could be making it seem not as loud as it really is? I cant stop watching the video... I wrote to the guy and he said he did not think it was all to much louder cruising than SLP Loudmouths minus the drone... No tellin though until I just pull the trigger!
Old 3/18/08, 02:13 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...ust_147697.htm

This video is the ultimate sound I want for my mustang... He has Longtubes, Offroad Prochamber, and Pypes Mid Muffler system... I honestly do not think that car sounds to loud at all... but maybe the camera could be making it seem not as loud as it really is? I cant stop watching the video... I wrote to the guy and he said he did not think it was all to much louder cruising than SLP Loudmouths minus the drone... No tellin though until I just pull the trigger!
At 18 sec that sound is amazing
Old 3/18/08, 02:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by VerginaStang
Keep us updated with what you are going to do... I have the pypes mm system with the stock H, and could use a little more loudness. I had a Pypes O/R H, and it sounded GREAT but was TOO loud for me (im 26 y/o if that matters lol). I am considering a catted x, but I'm afraid that the MM system will lose some of the growl, and burbling which it had with the O/R H.

Whoever is running the MM and just the catted X, did the MM system lose some of its deepness, and have more of a higher pitched sound (which the X pipes generally provide?). In your opinion, does it sound like an old school muscle car, or a "new-age muscle car"?
Yeah I would love to find some catted legs to go with my prochamer. I would like my MM to be a little louder

Quick Reply: Pypes Mid Muffler system Loudness Rating?