GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Prothane motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/07, 07:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
A small aluminum spacer will take care of that issue if it's a problem. I just happen to know someone who can fix you up with them.
Scott

Hey Scott, that may be a little more involved than you think...... unless you want to make a trim ring that goes around the whole shaker scoop and fits in-between the scoop and the molding, you'll only be able to raise the front portion of the shaker (near the t-body) if you plan on using the ball stud mount towards the rear. I've experimented already on raising my shaker; it's actually been raised about 1/4" for a year now. I don't think anyone at Stangstock noticed because our hoods were all open.
Old 12/19/07, 07:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I edited my post about your brand of header. I would suggest you talk to Steeda about your issue. I have not seen it with the OBX longtube brand on Larry's car. If I have an issue with it on my car I will post an honest opinion of the problem. That you can be sure of.
Scott
I have talked to Steeda and Ford Racing here is the same technical answer I got from both, Dent the header at point of contact! and thats what I will do when I install my O/R H pipe!.....
Old 12/19/07, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
I have talked to Steeda and Ford Racing here is the same technical answer I got from both, Dent the header at point of contact! and thats what I will do when I install my O/R H pipe!.....

Hey STD, I had that problem on hard right-hand turns with my Ford Racing headers. I loosened up the nut on top of each motor mount and shoved my engine over about 1/4 towards the passenger side. Since then I've had no problem. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12/19/07, 07:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
There is no difference in the red and black Prothane mounts. I have the black and they actually raised the engine about a 1/4 inch. If you want to go lower for a Saleen supercharger or some other reason buy the shaved mounts from JDM engineering!

There is more NVH especially on startup but personally I like it and the motor seems tighter. They work great with the CHE torque limiters and brace.

I hope this helps you out Scott.
Rich a 1/4 rise would solve my contact problem! I'd have to dump the STB brace but its about useless anyway! ....Thanks!!.....
Old 12/19/07, 07:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I still have the BMR brace with a couple of washers under it and it clears just barely. I does make an impression on the hood liner but who cares about that.
Old 12/19/07, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Hey STD, I had that problem on hard right-hand turns with my Ford Racing headers. I loosened up the nut on top of each motor mount and shoved my engine over about 1/4 towards the passenger side. Since then I've had no problem. Just my 2 cents.

Tom this old Hippie tried that, really couldn't get that much movement! I may have to get my wife to do it!....
Old 12/19/07, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

When I installed the Prothane mounts in mine they raised the engine almost ½ inch. This caused all kinds of fitment problems with my turbo piping. I had to get the lowering mounts from JDM to get everything to line up correctly.

Earl
Old 12/19/07, 11:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
There is no difference in the red and black Prothane mounts. I have the black and they actually raised the engine about a 1/4 inch. If you want to go lower for a Saleen supercharger or some other reason buy the shaved mounts from JDM engineering!

There is more NVH especially on startup but personally I like it and the motor seems tighter. They work great with the CHE torque limiters and brace.

I hope this helps you out Scott.
Wait?Raise the engine?Can you show me exactly which mounts?I need to know if they are the same i have installed.This could really mess up my next project.edit:better yet,are these the ones?>http://www.pmpparts.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=329
Old 12/20/07, 12:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Scott, that may be a little more involved than you think...... unless you want to make a trim ring that goes around the whole shaker scoop and fits in-between the scoop and the molding, you'll only be able to raise the front portion of the shaker (near the t-body) if you plan on using the ball stud mount towards the rear. I've experimented already on raising my shaker; it's actually been raised about 1/4" for a year now. I don't think anyone at Stangstock noticed because our hoods were all open.

Tom,
I think you misunderstood where I would put the aluminum shim at. If the motor would sit to low I would just make a washer that would sit on the top of the Prothane motor mount to raise the engine. Should be an easy fix in my mind. I guess I am going to find out what they do since I purchased them last night. I am more worried about creating to much NHV with them. At least they would be easy to change back to the stock hydromounts.
Scott
Old 12/20/07, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tom,
I think you misunderstood where I would put the aluminum shim at. If the motor would sit to low I would just make a washer that would sit on the top of the Prothane motor mount to raise the engine. Should be an easy fix in my mind. I guess I am going to find out what they do since I purchased them last night. I am more worried about creating to much NHV with them. At least they would be easy to change back to the stock hydromounts.
Scott
OK gotcha.......... what the heck you doing up at 3am? Let me guess- Karen has you doing last minute Christmas shopping eh??

Old 12/20/07, 06:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK gotcha.......... what the heck you doing up at 3am? Let me guess- Karen has you doing last minute Christmas shopping eh??

Just had one of those nights. Couldn't sleep. And I was told quite clearly last night that I have shopped enough for this year.
Old 12/20/07, 07:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Just had one of those nights. Couldn't sleep. And I was told quite clearly last night that I have shopped enough for this year.
Wait till your wife See's those motor mount you got her for Christmas she will change her mind!....
Old 12/20/07, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hahaha cams, headers, brake lines, et. etc. etc. etc...... I wonder why she would say such a thing?

Old 12/20/07, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

I have the prothane ones as well and have had no issues with any of my mods..Blower, headers,piping etc. If you call Prothane ask for Jordan Priestly. Good guy!
Old 12/20/07, 03:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Anymore imput from you guys running the Prothane mounts about added NVH or whether or not they raise or lower the engine from stock height. It seems we are getting mixed info about other manufacturers on this raising or lowering the engine. I only care about the Prothane brand since that is what I bought.
Thanks Scott
Old 12/20/07, 03:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Anymore imput from you guys running the Prothane mounts about added NVH or whether or not they raise or lower the engine from stock height. It seems we are getting mixed info about other manufacturers on this raising or lowering the engine. I only care about the Prothane brand since that is what I bought.
Thanks Scott
Hey Scott I posted on a different forum and got a response from someone that owns the Prothanes, and also a vendor that sells them and they both agree that they leave the engine sitting at roughly the same height- not higher or lower. I think I'm gonna order me some- maybe.
Old 12/20/07, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Scott I posted on a different forum and got a response from someone that owns the Prothanes, and also a vendor that sells them and they both agree that they leave the engine sitting at roughly the same height- not higher or lower. I think I'm gonna order me some- maybe.
Thanks Tom. That makes sense to me to set the engine at stock height unless they are manufactured with the intent of raising or lowering the engine. Mine were shipped today as was my header bolts.
Scott
Old 12/20/07, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

They increase vibration a little but it isn't anything crazy. they do keep the motor from twisting where the hydro mounts have more give. it is the extra twisting that the hydro mounts allow that caused issues for people i believe. My headers clear by about 1/4 inch but every once in a while i hear them tap at the steering column. I like the jiggle from the stiffer mounts though.
Old 12/20/07, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Faber
They increase vibration a little but it isn't anything crazy. they do keep the motor from twisting where the hydro mounts have more give. it is the extra twisting that the hydro mounts allow that caused issues for people i believe. My headers clear by about 1/4 inch but every once in a while i hear them tap at the steering column. I like the jiggle from the stiffer mounts though.

Thanks Faber. You know if your hitting the steering shaft you can loosen the motor mount bolts and push the motor sideways if you need to. That's what we did to Larry's ( Aircare84) when we installed them. You might what to check it out!! Scott
Old 12/20/07, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I ordered the red Prothanes, should be here any day now.

I'll be doing a write-up on them.

To echo Rich, there's no difference between the black and red mounts.

And like others have said, the non-shaved mounts (JDM modified Prothanes) should leave the engine at stock height. JDM/Prothanes lower the engine about 1/2".

I personally drove JedCranium's KB powered Roush (he's got the JDM/Prothanes) and it definitely has some engine vibrations that can be felt on the butt-o-meter when you first crank it over and up to around 1700 rpm's or so. If this is what you're looking for, like me, the Prothanes are the way to go.

With any luck, I'll have them installed on Saturday.

Quick Reply: Prothane motor mounts