GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Prothane motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/07, 06:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Prothane motor mounts

Hey Guys,
Since I am getting ready to install longtubes in the next few weeks I am considering changing the motor mounts to the Prothane brand. They seem to come in red and black urethane. Red is a little softer durometer than black. ( I think) I just want some feedback from guys running them whether or not the NHV is that much worst with them. They do not cost that much but I don't want a bunch of unnecessary vibration if I install them when doing the headers. You guys that have them...please post your opinions of them.
Thanks Scott
Old 12/19/07, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Scott, I am considering these as well and will probably pull the trigger. GMS has the black ones for $99 right now I believe.
Old 12/19/07, 06:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
do they leave the engine sitting at the stock hight or do they drop the engine down a bit?
Old 12/19/07, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

actually the price is 105 and I don't know about the height- I believe most mounts drop the engine around an 1/2 inch.
Old 12/19/07, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Scott, I am considering these as well and will probably pull the trigger. GMS has the black ones for $99 right now I believe.
That's a good price. A little better than I just bought them at. I have read that will lower the engine height about a 1/2 inch and that will be better for the header clearance ...I think. If I don't like where they sit I will make a spacer for them. I am just curious about increasing NHV!
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
do they leave the engine sitting at the stock hight or do they drop the engine down a bit?

I think I have read they will lower the engine about 1/2 inch. If I don't like it I will just make a spacer for them. I don't know what's wrong with me. I am in a big time modding mod!!!!!!
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
That's a good price. A little better than I just bought them at. I have read that will lower the engine height about a 1/2 inch and that will be better for the header clearance ...I think. If I don't like where they sit I will make a spacer for them. I am just curious about increasing NHV!
Scott
How close is your steering shaft to your headers right now! the lower the motor the closer the header will be the the steering shaft!
Old 12/19/07, 06:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
How close is your steering shaft to your headers right now!

Earth to Scotty...Come in Scotty.
I just ordered the headers about 1 hour ago so I can't answer that question. However... on Larry's car (Aircare84) I would guess it had about 1/8 to 3/16 inch clearance. I know that seems close but the engine rotates away for the steering shaft under hard acceleration.
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 06:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Earth to Scotty...Come in Scotty.
I just ordered the headers about 1 hour ago so I can't answer that question. However... on Larry's car (Aircare84) I would guess it had about 1/8 to 3/16 inch clearance. I know that seems close but the engine rotates away for the steering shaft under hard acceleration.
Scott
and in reverse rotates the opposite direction .I've got that much clearance now and in aggressive cornering they rub! So smarty pants if you drop the motor 1/2'' and only have 1/8 clearance now ! your going to lay the header right on the shaft!!
Old 12/19/07, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The prothane mounts do increase nvh a little, but not to the point of being uncomfortable. I got jdm lowering mounts, but i'm not sure if they are any different from the reg prothane mounts. They did drop my motor about 1/2", but that is why i bought them........needed the clearance for the s/c.............I have jba lt's and did have to trim a bolt on the pass side because the header was hitting it. I would suggest doing the mounts prior to doing the long tubes.........i had to cut the stock mount to get it out (because i didn't feel like pulling off the pass side header)......
Old 12/19/07, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

and in reverse rotates the opposite direction .I've got that much clearance now and in aggressive cornering they rub!

I can't say for sure because I don't have them installed yet. As for a I know Larry ( Aircare84) has not complained about a steering shaft rub. Maybe you need to let go of about $130 bucks to fix your issues.
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I can't say for sure because I don't have them installed yet. As for a I know Larry ( Aircare84) has not complained about a steering shaft rub. Maybe you need to let go of about $130 bucks to fix your issues.
Scott
Draw me a picture on how 130.00 bucks will fix that !
Old 12/19/07, 06:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

and in reverse rotates the opposite direction .I've got that much clearance now and in aggressive cornering they rub! So smarty pants if you drop the motor 1/2'' and only have 1/8 clearance now ! your going to lay the header right on the shaft!!
Think it out!
Old 12/19/07, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am hesitant on ordering them because dropping the engine will therefore drop my shaker scoop and if you drop the scoop by 1/2 an inch, it will look pretty gay IMO. Hey Scott, hurry up and put yours on and let me know how it looks.

Old 12/19/07, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Think it out!

Well...since I can't see how your Steeda headers fit up next to your steering shaft I guess I can't say for sure if the motor mounts would fix your issue. However.. on Larry's OBX longtubes dropping the engine 1/2 inch would have increased the clearance he had. Maybe you just need to change your header brand. I really don't know for sure.
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 07:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I am hesitant on ordering them because dropping the engine will therefore drop my shaker scoop and if you drop the scoop by 1/2 an inch, it will look pretty gay IMO. Hey Scott, hurry up and put yours on and let me know how it looks.

The Gay thing wont bother Scott!....
Old 12/19/07, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

A small aluminum spacer will take care of that issue if it's a problem. I just happen to know someone who can fix you up with them.
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 07:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well...since I can't see how your BBK headers fit up next to your steering shaft I guess I can't say for sure if the motor mounts would fix your issue. However.. on Larry's OBX longtubes dropping the engine 1/2 inch would have increased the clearance he had. Maybe you just need to change your header brand. I really don't know for sure.
Scott
I got steeda's, How can moving 2 objects closer together increase distance What angle of the dangle are you working with?
Old 12/19/07, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got steeda's, How can moving 2 objects closer together in crease distance What angle of the dangle are you working with?

I edited my post about your brand of header. I would suggest you talk to Steeda about your issue. I have not seen it with the OBX longtube brand on Larry's car. If I have an issue with it on my car I will post an honest opinion of the problem. That you can be sure of.
Scott
Old 12/19/07, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no difference in the red and black Prothane mounts. I have the black and they actually raised the engine about a 1/4 inch. If you want to go lower for a Saleen supercharger or some other reason buy the shaved mounts from JDM engineering!

There is more NVH especially on startup but personally I like it and the motor seems tighter. They work great with the CHE torque limiters and brace.

I hope this helps you out Scott.

Quick Reply: Prothane motor mounts