Old 8/14/05, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are the pics as promissed.
Old 8/15/05, 10:29 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bpmurr@August 11, 2005, 7:01 PM
They did but it shows the careless practices of Discount Tire. I guess it was the guys first day on the job. Funny thing is that I canceled the order a month ago but they showed up anyways and charged my card. I was thinking about going with 18x9 Bullits instead. The wheels do look hot on a silver car though.

I have to chime in on this - the whole story is WAY too involved to tell but basically, I heard lots of good talk about Discount on here so I wnet with them to get my Nittos for my current set up - ordered different rears according to advice from the phone sales guy, then they arrived and decided I didn't like them - ordered two different for the rear and asked the guy to process my return.....

And so started my MONTH LONG plus odessey of trying to return this set of tires..... I live in an apartment complex so packages are left and picked up at the main office since folks are at work - I have the office staff do me a favor and hold these things for me, so I roll these tires into their back hallway after the sales guy says he'll process the return - almost two weeks goes by and they are still there - call Discount - my sales guy is on vacation and the return was NEVER prcoessed. Not only that, the replacement tires he sent, for some reason on this order (first one delivered fine) he left off half my address info and they couldn't deliver them (had them sent next day air cause I had an appointment for mounting and balancing) - so I had to drive 30 minutes north of me the next day to pick up at UPS facility.

So I get the return processed and it takes another week for the call tag to be issued. UPS driver keeps coming by everyday but won't pick them up because he doesn't have the call tags. Finally a month goes by and I need to get them out of the office cause they need the room. I ROLL them back to my place. I confirm UPS WILL pick them up like two days later - the office staff let me roll them back over there and into the hallway again. That day I get a call at work - UPS guy is there and WON'T take them because he needs some special UPS label he doesn't have. :bang: :bang: :bang:

It was a nightmare - finally got them out the week after that - there's more I am probably leaving out but hands down, I will not buy from Discount Tire again.
Old 8/15/05, 06:50 PM

Sorry all that happened to you, but I don't understand why you even had to personally deal with storing/shipping the tires at all????

When I ordered my Nittos from Discount, they were delivered to the store, not my house.
Old 8/15/05, 07:10 PM
FR500 Member

You know, I've had nothing but good luck with Discount Tire. BUT...

I would NEVER order something like this (large) to be shipped to my house sight unseen, unless I knew exactly what I was getting.

I'm lucky, I have a bazillion Discount Tire's to choose from here in AZ, plus I can drive right to corporate and blaze a trail if something ain't right.

A tire purchase is something that I just wouldn't feel comfortable with doing online. Returning things this large is always a hassle for everybody involved and not worth my time or energy is things go funky.

So if you have a local Discount Tire, deal with the store.

Your're not the first I've heard with problems with Discount Tire online, so if you're in a situation that precludes you from visiting a store. Skip em!
Old 8/15/05, 07:24 PM
Big Falken Tires

Don/Tony - that was the thing - there is NO Discount Tire anywhere in Florida at ALL.......
Old 8/15/05, 07:32 PM

How far are you from Orlando? http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTire/cgi/...x=325&map.y=202

I know that is of no value to you now. Is Discount the only place you could get Nittos? I know it is here in San Diego... but we have a Discount store about every 5 or 10 miles it seems.
Old 8/15/05, 07:34 PM
FR500 Member

Looks like it's Tire Rack for you

I certainly hope they fix their problems with online ordering, it ain't as easy as it seems with items so darn large.

They proclaim free-shipping don't they? If they do, that's the problem. Means they're losing money OR gaining very little profit from online sales and subsequently lose money on every return. Hence the ringaround trying to get them back.

I hate companies that don't think about these things or see them as acceptable losses. Happens a lot with brick and mortar names going online.
Old 8/15/05, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by bpmurr@August 14, 2005, 8:36 PM
Here are the pics as promissed.
So you have the 9.5's on all four corners? Would you happen to have any shot from the rear or front?
Old 8/15/05, 08:15 PM

Well guys my order from discount tire will be arriving tomorow.4 MB rims with tires and lugs.Hope everything is OK when I get home tomorow.You guys have me worried.I ordered 18.9 rears 18.8 fronts with Tires mounted balanced and with lugs.Got the MB EXE 2,s.
Old 8/15/05, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Check a few things, first make sure that the retaining clips that hold the rotors on during assembly are removed, wheel lug torque is 100-110 ft. lbs, also check to see if hub centric rings are installed...
Old 8/15/05, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by FinlayZJ@August 12, 2005, 7:40 AM
Here's something I wrote a while back. Granted it's for 4x4 tires, but the concept applies to all:
You hit the Nail on the head! Follow FinlayZJ's suggestions

Heh, I wish I had GS's as smart as you to figure out the Machine. I am constantly helping them with Road force and Run out.
Another feature about this machine is you can set it up to hide the tape on weights behind the spokes.

EDIT I like those wheels!!!
Old 8/16/05, 06:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05-1947@August 15, 2005, 8:05 PM
So you have the 9.5's on all four corners? Would you happen to have any shot from the rear or front?

I have a shot of the rear. I'll post that tonight.
Old 8/16/05, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

Got mine at discount tire, ordered over the phone. Dropped car off at the store. Good customer service and they did a nice job. Retaining clips? I saw them yanking on something on my rotors with plyers, was wondering what they were. Glad I didn't follow my instinct and run over and holler at them hehe.

BTW anyone else get the lug nut extension thingy, since our stock lug wrench wont fit into the holes on the beyonds. Looks like a wheel lock key, think these rims would be a pain to steal without the special tool.
Old 8/16/05, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

We have also found cars that didnt have the retaining clip removed from the front brake rotors. The front rotors have 1 clip on one of the studs that holds the brake rotor in place while going down the assembly line. The factory wheels are machined to be not affected by this clip. On an aftermarket wheel it keeps it from sitting flush against the hub producing the vibration.

We've saved a few customers quite a bit of money by just discovering this and removing the clip for them. It many cases it cures the vibrations with aftermarket wheels and keeps the customer from chasing it and wasting money on repeated attempts at balancing.
Old 8/16/05, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks for future reference
Old 8/16/05, 03:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

how are the 275 as far as turning? plenty of clearnance? no rubbing? i was thinking about 275 and wanted to make sure.

Old 8/16/05, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

We run 275/40/18 tires on all the 05 cars we build with our wheels. No issues at all. As long as the wheels are the proper offset this size tire will be no issue.

Gus
Old 8/16/05, 07:36 PM

Well here they are guys.I did have a slight wheel shake but i think you all answered it that i need to take those clips off.Everything went smooth Ups came today and everything was in order.I am a little dissapionted that my rears are a little shorter than the fronts.Going to have to drop the rear now.Sizes are front 255/45ZR18 and rears are 275/40ZR18.
Old 8/16/05, 07:37 PM

more
Old 8/16/05, 07:38 PM

another

Quick Reply: Problems with my 18x9.5 Beyonds and KDW's