GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Predator Tune & Shaker 1000

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/05, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter where I posted this question, (performance or audio) it would be to the wrong group - but here goes. I have a Predator C&L Custom Tune in my Mustang. This week the vehicle will be going in for the TSB on the front strut popping and to have my Shaker 1000 replaced - both known issues.

Here's my concern. Prior to replacing the Shaker 1000 head unit the data from the existing head unit must be downloaded and installed into the new head unit. How is that done? Can't be through the OBDII diagnostic connector. I don't really want to flash my vehicle back to stock just to have the radio head unit replaced. Does anyone know?
Old 5/15/05, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tmcolegr@May 15, 2005, 8:04 AM
No matter where I posted this question, (performance or audio) it would be to the wrong group - but here goes. I have a Predator C&L Custom Tune in my Mustang. This week the vehicle will be going in for the TSB on the front strut popping and to have my Shaker 1000 replaced - both known issues.

Here's my concern. Prior to replacing the Shaker 1000 head unit the data from the existing head unit must be downloaded and installed into the new head unit. How is that done? Can't be through the OBDII diagnostic connector. I don't really want to flash my vehicle back to stock just to have the radio head unit replaced. Does anyone know?
Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you have to d/l data from the original head unit? I mean it is only a stereo/cd player....I put a Shaker in myself, that I got from a fellow board member. He did not d/l any data before selling me the new unit and I did not have to u/l any data to the unit prior to installation. The shaker works flawlessly.
Old 5/15/05, 09:27 AM
Big Falken Tires

Well I have seen some posts on here where even after the installation of a new Shaker headunit, they need to adjust or add codes or something to the unit - they they gotta hook to it somehow......

And to play MP3s and read those CDs, its has to be a little bit more than just a stereo/cd player....

This is a good question - I would guess they use that data port under the dash....?
Old 5/15/05, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Trust me on this one - data must to be downloaded from the old unit into the new unit - something to do with backlighting, etc. If the unit was previously in service no data has to be downloaded. A never previously installed unit has to have some type of data downloaded or it will not function properly.

I posted this on the audio forum as well. Perhaps someone there can enlighten us.
Old 5/15/05, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Matt posted this response on the audio forum

All vehicle bussed communication is performed through the DCL connector with the WDS scan tool.

When the radio data is downloaded it is done on a "menu driven" basis, that is the scan tool is working only within the audio section of the data bus. As long as the tech is only in that section your flash for the tune will not be affected.