GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Predator Performance tune update

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/05, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed on the Performanc Tune that the throttle response was pretty bad even though the other tunes felt fine.

I wrote Diablosport tech support and recieved their new updated Performance tune for a stock (only have SLP exhaust) GT manual. Attached are the dyno numbers along with some more info I recieved from them. The dyno numbers are more than I hoped for:

__________________________________________________ _______________

Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:26 AM
To: Scott Beer
Subject: RE: 2005 Mustang

Wow..what a huge difference from the original performance tune. The throttle response feels instantaneous. What kind of numbers did you all pull from the dyno? Can I have the file?

By the way, will you guys be doing tunes for the new K&N FIPK for the 05?

__________________________________________________ ________________

We have about the same dyno results for wide open throttle as we did with your new tune. Your new tune has better throttle response only. I am working with KandN to provide a calibration for their kit soon. Here is a dyno graph for your new tune.

Scott Beer

Diablosport Tuner / Revolution Software Support

561-908-0040

561-908-0051 - fax

Diablosport

1865 SW Ave Suite D2

Delray Beach, FL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 3/22/05, 02:16 PM
V6 Member

What did you have to purchase to download the new tune to your predator. They are sending me the same new 93 octane tune, but I need to know what I need to hook to the pc to download it to the handheld predator. I seen a thread a couple of weeks ago where someone listed everything you need from Radio Shack , but I searched and could not find it. Thanks for any info.
Old 3/22/05, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by DirtyDave@March 22, 2005, 3:19 PM
What did you have to purchase to download the new tune to your predator. They are sending me the same new 93 octane tune, but I need to know what I need to hook to the pc to download it to the handheld predator. I seen a thread a couple of weeks ago where someone listed everything you need from Radio Shack , but I searched and could not find it. Thanks for any info.

Here you go: http://www.diablosport.com/U7777.php#What%...Interface%20Kit?
Old 3/22/05, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Left a message for Scott to call or email the tune to me as well. Here's the list I posted.

For those of you not purchasing the PC Interface Kit here are the numbers from Radio Shack for everything that's required to connect to your PC:

DB9 9-wire Serial Cable - 26-117 $13.99
or for those using USB
USB to Serial Cable - 26-183 (includes serial cable driver on diskette) $39.99

A/C to 12 Volt D/C Power Adapter - 273-1776 $17.99
Adaptaplug "N"* - 273-1717 $4.99
*(Free with purchase of A/C to 12 Volt D/C Power Adapter 273-1776)
Old 3/22/05, 07:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Tech, What info do they need to provide the tune. Is it just the CALID # from the predator? I tried both the 91 and 93 tune and the 93 does have a problem in the bottom end. Im going to call tomorrow and I just want to have all the info ready.
Old 3/23/05, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

The latest revision from Diablo fixed my throttle response problem with the performance tune. I just have the tune and 4.10 gears. No CAI yet.
Old 3/23/05, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by LilHog@March 22, 2005, 8:50 PM
Tech, What info do they need to provide the tune. Is it just the CALID # from the predator? I tried both the 91 and 93 tune and the 93 does have a problem in the bottom end. Im going to call tomorrow and I just want to have all the info ready.
They asked me for my CALID and what mods I have.

I don't really understand why they want the mods though. Unless they can calibrate for it in their shop or they have tested several different mods and setups. :scratch:
Old 3/23/05, 11:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Man I have to tell you all. Diablo's new revision kicks butt. I'm currently using the 91 octane tune and the pull on low end and high end is amazing. Can't wait till JLT comes out with his custom tune so I can install my CAI.

Cheers...Jay
Old 3/23/05, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I call Diablo today and spoke to Brian in tech support. I was not impressed at all and he knows nothing about a revised tune or for that matter not much else. I explained that the 93 tune was not performing correctly and he blamed it on me buying poor grade gasoline. I tried to explain that was not the case and he just kept talking in circles. I even offered my calid # and he was not interested. I'll give them one more try tomorrow and maybe I can speak to someone that actually has a brain and thinks, and is willing to help.
Old 3/23/05, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I downloaded a new revision on Diablo's website. I know it is fairly new becasue it was not there last week. I try to check weekly to see if there is any revisions. I have not tried the 93 Performance Tune (because we only have 91 in my state), but the 91 tune is definitely change (unless I had bad gasoline before, highly doubt it). Hope this helps...
Old 3/23/05, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Jason, I'll give it a try and see if the issue is solved.
Old 3/23/05, 06:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by LilHog@March 23, 2005, 6:22 PM
I call Diablo today and spoke to Brian in tech support. I was not impressed at all and he knows nothing about a revised tune or for that matter not much else. I explained that the 93 tune was not performing correctly and he blamed it on me buying poor grade gasoline. I tried to explain that was not the case and he just kept talking in circles. I even offered my calid # and he was not interested. I'll give them one more try tomorrow and maybe I can speak to someone that actually has a brain and thinks, and is willing to help.
I received an email from Brian three days ago and he asked me for my Calid # and said when he received it they would send me a custom tune to download. Since I have not received it yet I called them and spoke to Brian and he said he turned the email over to Scott. I tried to talk to scott all day today. I would be put on hold then after a few minutes it would go to his voicemail. I got tired of that, so I emailed him, and asked him to email me the tune. I am not happy either with the way things are going. I hope I receive the custom tune soon. I do not like the way the car performs currently.
Old 3/24/05, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

For what it's worth...

I've never had good "performance" with the "performance tune". Shifting is terrible, throttle lag is bad and the idle seems to waver. The 91 tune is definately a better tune but I'd prefer some firmer shifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I'm running the .8r6 tune and that seems to be the latest revision.

I too got a reply to send the cal id and base tune blah blah blah and haven't bothered. Living with the 91 tune for awhile till things work out or I get fed up and buy an SCT from alternative.

Chris
Old 3/24/05, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by My Blue Heaven@March 24, 2005, 10:37 AM
For what it's worth...

I've never had good "performance" with the "performance tune". Shifting is terrible, throttle lag is bad and the idle seems to waver. The 91 tune is definately a better tune but I'd prefer some firmer shifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I'm running the .8r6 tune and that seems to be the latest revision.

I too got a reply to send the cal id and base tune blah blah blah and haven't bothered. Living with the 91 tune for awhile till things work out or I get fed up and buy an SCT from alternative.

Chris
I'm surprised that there are complaints about customer service. They seemed pretty responsive at first. The updated 93 octane tune seems to fix all of the problems in the previous. As for the difference between 91 and 93, I didn't notice much
Old 3/24/05, 03:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

There is a fix, contact Scott Beer. I contacted him last week and he is aware of the problem.
Old 3/25/05, 11:11 PM
V6 Member

little clarification please.. did all tunes get updated? is the r6 that is posted now the newer version or is this what is in the diablos that shipped prior to 2 weeks ago? How could one tell? I know their site sez it's just a reimage, but with all this talk about fixes I am concerned!

The MAIN reason I bought one of these things is to get rid of throttle lag so if I can do so better I'm all over it. I use the 87 perf tune... anything else I can be doing to help lag go away?

Also unrelated (semi related) can I pull the hydro trap with this tune and not do anything else?

TIA

Peet
Old 3/26/05, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Peet -

I just bought my Predator a couple of weeks ago and it was the r6 version and it did have terrible lag on the 91 Octane and the Performance Tune.

I updated on Monday from the Diablo's website and it kicks butt. I don't know about the Performance Tune because we don't have 93 Octane in my state. The only thing I do know about this revision is that you must follow the instructions to the "T". Reflashing your stock backup on your car is vital before you update your Predator.

My Predator was brand new (week and a half) and it was the r6 version too before I updated. So it is definitely worth your time to download the revision and try it. Hopefully you will have the same success.
Old 3/26/05, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yesterday I was told by DiabloSport that the r6 release revision was "the exact same software that was originally installed by DiabloSport when shipped from the factory". The only reason the DiabloSport and C&L Predator software is available to download is because some tried to install the Steeda r7 release into non-Steeda Predators. This has corrupted the originally installed r6 software. This r6 release revision for Predators that boot with the DiabloSport logo & C&L logo is to fix corrupted software for those that tried to load the r7 revision on non-Steeda Predators.
Old 3/26/05, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I mistakenly started a new thread but should have added this request for information to this existing thread. If anyone can answer the couple of questions I would greatly appreciate some answers.
After reading all the complaints about low RPM throttle response with the 93 octane Performance Tune, I am hesitant to install my new C&L CAI and install the C&L CAI Custom Tune if a revised tune is on the way. Can anyone tell me if the throttle response issue is only on the 93 octane Performance Tune or is the C&L CAI Custom Tune for 93 octane affected as well? Can anyone that DiabloSport sent the tune to evaluate prior to releasing confirm that the pre-release of the new tune was a 93 octane Performance Tune or a Custom Tune for the C&L CAI? Have tried numerous times to reach Scott Beer @ DiabloSport but have been unsuccessful.

Would like your input as I have the Predator & C&L CAI in hand waiting to install.

If a new tune is on the way, I will wait to install until the new tune is available.

Question concerning saving a Custom Tune to the Predator: Can a Custom Tune be downloaded to a brand new Predator that has never read and saved the original factory tune from the PCM? Or can I download the C&L Custom Tune, transfer to the Predator, and then read/save the original file and install the C&L CAI Custom Tune the first time the Predator is connected? I already have retrieved my CALID.
Old 3/26/05, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Well after reading the website this morning it sounds like you are right; however, I can assure you my 91 Octane tune is working much better now. Maybe it's because I reflashed the stock tune then back to the 91 Octane tune? I have no idea. Maybe it was the gasoline?

Sorry for any incorrect information I have given. I'm sure Diablo is working on a new revision for the r6 verision. All the products are so new that all the bugs have to get worked out. It seems almost every mod I have used has had some trouble or two. I'm confindent it will all work out...

Quick Reply: Predator Performance tune update