GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Predator/C&L Torque at Low End in A/T

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bug everyone, just one quick question that I can't find answered in any of the million or so posts about tuning and I need some expert (honest, seat of the pants-type) help:

In an auto equiped car with the C&L CAI and the Predator tune, is low end torque affected?? Either to the good, the bad or not at all.....I'd love to know before I go and spend the $$ for both. This isn't a question about overall hp/torque gains, I'm just interested in low end, off the line performance. My car is pure stock right now with the Auto Trans.

I know there's extra punch at the mid-range and top end but I can't find anyone with an auto trans to describe the differences this combo makes from rest. Help or advice would be sincerely appreciated. Had a bad encounter with a CAI and tuner on my F150 a few years ago and don't want a repeat of poor, low end performance.

Thanks very much in advance.

Mark.
Old 4/7/05, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Original Sin@April 7, 2005, 7:47 PM
Sorry to bug everyone, just one quick question that I can't find answered in any of the million or so posts about tuning and I need some expert (honest, seat of the pants-type) help:

In an auto equiped car with the C&L CAI and the Predator tune, is low end torque affected?? Either to the good, the bad or not at all.....I'd love to know before I go and spend the $$ for both. This isn't a question about overall hp/torque gains, I'm just interested in low end, off the line performance. My car is pure stock right now with the Auto Trans.

I know there's extra punch at the mid-range and top end but I can't find anyone with an auto trans to describe the differences this combo makes from rest. Help or advice would be sincerely appreciated. Had a bad encounter with a CAI and tuner on my F150 a few years ago and don't want a repeat of poor, low end performance.

Thanks very much in advance. Yes you will get more low end torque,get more tire.The 235s will just burn out off the line and that is at the 91 tune.

Mark.
Old 4/7/05, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Original Sin@April 7, 2005, 7:47 PM

Mark.
Mark,

Most of the people who have the combo are equipped with a manual transmission, so when you see people talking about low RPM throttle response, you can just about bet that they are talking about the tune for the manual vehicles. We have a brand new revision that is currently being installed into all of the new tuners for the '05 Mustang with our intake kit, and anyone who previously purchased our kit with tuner can easily update their tuner to this new revision. We had 2 customers in particular who have an uncommon automatic box code (I believe that there are 4 totally different processors on these vehicles) who were experiencing some issues (which had NOTHING to do with throttle response), and the new revision will eliminate the issue that they were experiencing. A new tune was released for our kit about a week ago, which specifically addressed the throttle response in the lower RPM range. I am not the programmer of these files, so I do not know for certain, but I believe that these improvements come from adjustments in the drive-by-wire programming of the computer and not from adjusting the air/fuel ratio or timing, as those aspects of the tune were fine in previous versions. If you are buying a brand new kit, then you should receive the most up-to-date tune, which will have no noticable effect on low RPM response. If you are not sure that you are getting the latest revision when you make your purchase, the good news is that you can update the tuner yourself to the latest update by downloading it from the Diablosport website. I hope that this help to answer your questions...

Lee Bender
C&L Performance, Inc.
Old 4/8/05, 01:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lee, thank-you for such a detailed response. That's why I've asked for Auto Trans info specifically, it's few and far between most of the time (except of course when you're talking drive by wire and throttle response as you've indicated.)

I read about the upcoming revision for the tuner but even before it's release (and not having to do with the drive by wire issues) I was wondering about customers having concerns with lowered torque, just at the "off idle" point on auto-equipped cars. The drive by wire delay is one thing but my question also asks if they feel they've briefly "lost anything" power-wise with the free-er breathing intake.

Sounds like it's not going to be an issue (I hope). So thanks again, if your response is akin to product and customer service at C&L, I've made up my mind as to who to order from.

Thanks again - Mark.
Old 4/8/05, 02:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a C&L CAI & 93 Octane Custom Tune. I am very pleased with throttle response and low end torque. I initially had some issues but they were not necessarily the fault of the tune. DiabloSport (Cole) was very helpful is resolving those issues and I would recommend this combo to anyone that asks.
Old 4/8/05, 10:16 AM

Mark
I have an auto trans and i ordered the CnL and Diablo kit. When i first got it has some serious shifting issues below 2000 rpm's . I finaly got a hold of Cole at Diablo ; he made me send him my stock tune via email. A week later i got a custom tune from Cole that solved all issues i was having. Again middle and upper rpm range were not an issue just normal rmp range driving was terrible......

hope this helps out

Mike
Old 4/8/05, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mike, Todd.....thanks very much for your input. Sounds like you guys were talking about the tune that Lee (from C&L) was.

So final question if I'm not boring you guys.....money well spent???? Both are gonna be pretty pricey up here in the land of "duty and taxes" but I'm willing to pay to have fun.

Thanks for posting your thoughts though, much appreciated.

Mark.
Old 4/9/05, 04:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO money well spent. For the most bang for the buck I recommend the C&L CAI, DiabloSport 93 Octane Custom Tune, Steeda LCAs & 4.10 gears. Can't go wrong!!
Old 4/9/05, 06:41 PM

i say it is money well spent. Just a pain to get the custom tune....
i say do it . CandL has a 30 day return policy.. if you dont like it
Mike
Old 4/9/05, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks again guys!!

Mark.