GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Powershifting, what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/08, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powershifting, what's the deal?

I did some searching, but haven't really found all the info I am looking for.
I know what powershifting is, have read many how to's, and seen many clips. But I want to know how you guys that do powershift at the track learned to do it. I have been doing some experimenting at mid rpm shifting, with good results. Haven't scrached a gear yet doing it. I still feel I need to get more comfortable before I do a track run.
Also, how much abuse can the 2006 5 speed or stock drive train take before taking a crap on the track. Have anybody hurt the anything yet while powershifting? And if you have, what broke and what did you do wrong (if anything) for it to break? Also do the gears go in easier while powershifting compaired to racing while not powershifting? 3rd is sometimes a pain at a high rpm for me.

So a recap:

1. How did you learn to powershift?

2. How much abuse can the 05-08 5 speed and drivetrain take while powershifting before something breaks?

3. Have you hurt anything on your S197 while powershifting?

4. If you have, what broke and what did you do wrong (if anything) for it to break?

5. Do the gears go in easier while powershifting compaired to racing while not powershifting?
Old 7/13/08, 11:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
I did some searching, but haven't really found all the info I am looking for.
I know what powershifting is, have read many how to's, and seen many clips. But I want to know how you guys that do powershift at the track learned to do it. I have been doing some experimenting at mid rpm shifting, with good results. Haven't scrached a gear yet doing it. I still feel I need to get more comfortable before I do a track run.
Also, how much abuse can the 2006 5 speed or stock drive train take before taking a crap on the track. Have anybody hurt the anything yet while powershifting? And if you have, what broke and what did you do wrong (if anything) for it to break? Also do the gears go in easier while powershifting compaired to racing while not powershifting? 3rd is sometimes a pain at a high rpm for me.

So a recap:

1. How did you learn to powershift?

2. How much abuse can the 05-08 5 speed and drivetrain take while powershifting before something breaks?

3. Have you hurt anything on your S197 while powershifting?

4. If you have, what broke and what did you do wrong (if anything) for it to break?

5. Do the gears go in easier while powershifting compaired to racing while not powershifting?
1. By practicing over and over.
2. Lots. Unless you are grinding the gears really bad repeatedly or you are making a LOT of power you shouldn't have much of a problem.
3. nope
4. nil
5. With the stock shifter I'd say it's harder to get into gear when powershifting because the stock shifter has a tendency to bind when powershifting at higher rpms. Switching to a good aftermarket shifter such as an mgw will stop that tendency to bind and also make it easier to get the shifter into the gear you want. (It has strong centering springs that almost automatically put the shifter into 2 from 1, 3 from 2, 4 from 3 etc.

You can practice while stopped or with the car off if you want. Biggest thing is to have the clutch all the way in before putting the shifter into the next gear so practice pushing the clutch down as fast as you can. Also having your seat in the proper position so you can comfortably and easily reach full extension of the clutch helps a lot too.
Old 7/14/08, 06:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Totally Agree!!

Have to totally agree with everything that 2k said! Might also add this. After many years of street racing sticks in my youth and then later moving on to the drag strip to compete, I have to say that fast shifting is a very learned experience! Additional to upgrading to a good stronger/tighter aftermarket shifter for this S197 tranny, you might want to consider a good set of aftermarket front motor mounts too. They are not cheap! But these mounts can help eliminate a lot of the higher RPM engine and tranny flex at the shifter area (i.e. 2-3 shift). And they will also enhance the ease of learning the power/speed shifting of the 5-speed. P.S. Always remember to turn off the TCS, as the computer will try to compensate for any abrupt changes in the drivetrain loads. Good luck and Happy shifting!! CalStang
Old 7/14/08, 04:19 PM
Bullitt Member

isn't power shifting shifting without the clutch? i wouldn't do that if i were you. car's fast enough as is.
Old 7/14/08, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bennyandthejets
isn't power shifting shifting without the clutch? i wouldn't do that if i were you. car's fast enough as is.

Power shifting is when you use the clutch but never lift off of the gas. So it needs to be done smooth and quick. I also agree with the motor mount suggestion and maybe a CHE torque limiter to help out.
Old 7/14/08, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

The motor mounts, shifter and torque limiters are something I am looking at. I don't think I really need them now because I am no where near comfotable enough to try this at WOT. The rpms that I am shifting at, for now, are not giving me any trouble with sliding the gear in. On the positive side of not having the mounts, shifter or anythink else like that is if I get good enough to do this WOT with out them, them with them I should shift like a pro, lol!

How much time would you expect to shave off at the track with powershifting compaired to just speedshifting?

Thanks for the good input guys! Looks like I just need to keep practicing. If anybody else has any good advice please chime in
Old 7/14/08, 05:11 PM
GT Member

smooth transitions is the key.
Mechanically you need to match or come close to having the same engine speed and tranny speed. By keeping the gas pedal mashed, you achieve this.
Old 7/14/08, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The motor mounts, shifter and torque limiters are something I am looking at. I don't think I really need them now because I am no where near comfotable enough to try this at WOT. The rpms that I am shifting at, for now, are not giving me any trouble with sliding the gear in. On the positive side of not having the mounts, shifter or anythink else like that is if I get good enough to do this WOT with out them, them with them I should shift like a pro, lol!

How much time would you expect to shave off at the track with powershifting compaired to just speedshifting?

Thanks for the good input guys! Looks like I just need to keep practicing. If anybody else has any good advice please chime in

Hey Dean,
To us old farts powershifting and speedshifting pretty much mean the same thing. Basically you hold the accelerator to the floor while you shift. That's it...period. Call it what you want!
Scott
Old 7/14/08, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Practice.

Practice.

Practice.

With these three things, you'll be fine LOL.
Old 7/14/08, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey Dean,
To us old farts powershifting and speedshifting pretty much mean the same thing. Basically you hold the accelerator to the floor while you shift. That's it...period. Call it what you want!
Scott
I'm new to the manual trans thing (only 5 months now). I know how to drive manual, but not so good at racing one yet. I thought speedshifting was just normal shifting done as fast as you can manage. Or is that heel toe shifting? I confused myself now.....
Old 7/15/08, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add some "Larger" aftermarket pedal's. Practice "Heel & Toe", and have it.
Old 7/15/08, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Couper93
smooth transitions is the key.
Mechanically you need to match or come close to having the same engine speed and tranny speed. By keeping the gas pedal mashed, you achieve this.
If you just shifted up one gear, and if you have not let your RPM's drop, aren't your engine RPM's actually 40-50% faster than your tranny RPMs? Isn't that why the wheels break loose when you shift into second at 6K RPM without letting the RPM's drop down to the tranny/wheel speed (which is probably around 4K RPM)?

At least, that's how I understand it..
Old 7/16/08, 05:19 AM
V6 Member

My question on this is should I set my rev limiter out of gear to like 6200rpms? Or does it matter?
Old 7/16/08, 05:20 AM
V6 Member

Also If im shifting at 6500rpms and I set my out of gear rev limiter to 6200 would that be really bad on my car b/c its trying to drop 300rpms?
Old 7/16/08, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by white07
Also If im shifting at 6500rpms and I set my out of gear rev limiter to 6200 would that be really bad on my car b/c its trying to drop 300rpms?
I dunno, for some reason I've never gotten the "out of gear" rev limiter to actually work only when out of gear. For me it always ends up working the same as the "in gear" rev limiter. I tried setting the "out of gear" rev limiter to 3500 and the "in gear" rev limiter to 6500, so I could just mash down on the gas before I launch.. but all it did was completely limit my revs to 3500, even when in gear. So my guess is no, nothing bad will happen because most likely your in-gear rev limiter will also be set to 6200.

Anyone else have better luck adjust in-gear/out-of-gear rev limits?
Old 7/16/08, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
I dunno, for some reason I've never gotten the "out of gear" rev limiter to actually work only when out of gear. For me it always ends up working the same as the "in gear" rev limiter. I tried setting the "out of gear" rev limiter to 3500 and the "in gear" rev limiter to 6500, so I could just mash down on the gas before I launch.. but all it did was completely limit my revs to 3500, even when in gear. So my guess is no, nothing bad will happen because most likely your in-gear rev limiter will also be set to 6200.

Anyone else have better luck adjust in-gear/out-of-gear rev limits?
I tried the same thing with the same results.

My suggestion is set both rev limiters to 7000 and shift at 6400. I've heard the TB starts to close a few hundred rpms before the rev limiter so it's good to have that leeway. Also incase you don't shift quite quick enough. The last thing you want is to hit the rev limiter.
Old 7/16/08, 07:45 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
If you just shifted up one gear, and if you have not let your RPM's drop, aren't your engine RPM's actually 40-50% faster than your tranny RPMs? Isn't that why the wheels break loose when you shift into second at 6K RPM without letting the RPM's drop down to the tranny/wheel speed (which is probably around 4K RPM)?

At least, that's how I understand it..
you are right, he doesn't know what hes talking about.
Old 7/16/08, 11:03 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
I tried the same thing with the same results.

My suggestion is set both rev limiters to 7000 and shift at 6400. I've heard the TB starts to close a few hundred rpms before the rev limiter so it's good to have that leeway. Also incase you don't shift quite quick enough. The last thing you want is to hit the rev limiter.
I think thats what my problem was this past weekend. I set my rev limiter to 6500 rpms but it seemed like my car hit the rev limiter around 6200rpms.
Old 7/17/08, 05:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by white07
I think thats what my problem was this past weekend. I set my rev limiter to 6500 rpms but it seemed like my car hit the rev limiter around 6200rpms.
Could be. Have you had your car dynoe'd? The power might drop out by then too. Mine pulls to about 6300 - 6400 so that's where I shift and with my rev limiter at 7000 I can cross the 1/4 mine redlined in third gear saving a shift as well.

Last edited by 2kanchoo; 7/17/08 at 05:25 AM.
Old 7/17/08, 06:42 AM
GT Member

I'm new to the manual trans thing (only 5 months now). I know how to drive manual, but not so good at racing one yet. I thought speedshifting was just normal shifting done as fast as you can manage. Or is that heel toe shifting? I confused myself now.....

Speedshifting is normal shifting but as 70mach1owner stated is that your right foot doesn't leave the floor and you need to be quick with your left foot(pressing in on the clutch)and your right hand (shifting)at the same time.
If you get good at it .Your RPM will drop MAYBE 100 rpm. I've been doing it for about 20 years now. Some of the guys think that that my car has a automatic trans.

Quick Reply: Powershifting, what's the deal?