GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

power shifting

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/05, 11:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but if u have a warranty, powershift it until it blows up, then go back and get another one.
Old 5/30/05, 02:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Powershifting is shifting WITH the clutch while keeping the car floored. There is another method that one could use to work their way up to powershifting. It's called split shifting. This is when you keep the pedal down somewhat at a moderae RPM range (2500 -3500) and shift without letting off the accelerator. This will give you a good way to practice and get that hand-foot coordination down without putting your tranny at high risk. The key to a successful powershift is speed and coordination. The ability to learn quickly helps as well.
Old 5/30/05, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

No and Yes are the answers
Old 5/30/05, 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

Fordracing200, according to your info, you are 13. No offense, but I think I will believe the info I get from the numerous older gentlement I have talked to at car shows. You know, the ones that actually used to powershift 30 years ago as they ran their GTOs, 442s, Chevelles, Chargers, etc. down the dragstrip. Somehow, I think the fact that they have been racing three times longer than you have been born adds some additional weight to their arguments.

Also, don't get on me for not researching. I know what powershiftig is. Maybe you need to calm down the 13 year-old ego and realize that just possibly other people know things that you don't. And, amazingly, all information in the world is not readily available on the internet, nor is all of the information on the net always true. Also, watch who you throw around calling an idiot to. You only fulfill the stereotype of some punk teenager that thinks he rules the world, when in reality, you don't have a clue about anything. Now, I won't respond to you anymore, because frankly, it is beneath me to engage in further correspondence with someone that is your age, uneducated, and inexperienced.
Old 5/30/05, 10:33 AM
FR500 Member

Well ok, I'm the right age group that you're looking for and powershifting is the art of keeping your right foot on the accelerator and quickly runnin through the gears with your clutch without letting up on the gas.

Which of course has been mentioned a number of times since your post. Just drop it.
Old 5/30/05, 11:30 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@May 30, 2005, 11:11 AM
Fordracing200, according to your info, you are 13. No offense, but I think I will believe the info I get from the numerous older gentlement I have talked to at car shows. You know, the ones that actually used to powershift 30 years ago as they ran their GTOs, 442s, Chevelles, Chargers, etc. down the dragstrip. Somehow, I think the fact that they have been racing three times longer than you have been born adds some additional weight to their arguments.

Also, don't get on me for not researching. I know what powershiftig is. Maybe you need to calm down the 13 year-old ego and realize that just possibly other people know things that you don't. And, amazingly, all information in the world is not readily available on the internet, nor is all of the information on the net always true. Also, watch who you throw around calling an idiot to. You only fulfill the stereotype of some punk teenager that thinks he rules the world, when in reality, you don't have a clue about anything. Now, I won't respond to you anymore, because frankly, it is beneath me to engage in further correspondence with someone that is your age, uneducated, and inexperienced.
u have nothing better to do than to insult me because i am younger? and now you wont respond beause it is useless talking to someone who may be younger but its in love with all mustangs. I am educated, maybe u need to calm down and realize not all kids like rice rockets, and people like you drive them away from this hobby because their is a large majority of ricers who are my age group.
Old 5/30/05, 12:52 PM
FR500 Member

Drop it, please...
Old 5/30/05, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@May 30, 2005, 12:11 PM

He shouldn't have called you an idiot, but he is right. Powershifting is not shifting without the clutch. It's shifting with the clutch while the accelerator pedal is floored.

Shifting with no clutch safely is a slow and tedious task, usually achieved at very low RPMs to match up the synchros so you don't grind/burn them.Clutchless shifting has zero to do with performance driving. Clutchless shifting is usually done only in an emergency, like when you have to get home because your clutch is blown from powershifting!
Old 5/30/05, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Powershifting 101
Old 5/30/05, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fordracing200@May 29, 2005, 11:53 PM
but if u have a warranty, powershift it until it blows up, then go back and get another one.

Going to be hilarious when this kid blows his first trans the dealer says "Sorry, this is abuse. That'll be $1,800 please."
Old 5/30/05, 08:15 PM
FR500 Member

$1,800 for a new tranny! I'll take that, my transmission in my Monte Carlo was $3,000! Even though it was out of warranty, I at least got GM to pay for half of it

Seems lot's of people don't understand what a warranty really is.
Old 5/30/05, 09:22 PM
GT Member

Youch, thats gotta leave a mark!
You may be tempted to try this out, but definetly not before you put in a Steeda tri-ax shifter.
The verdict is in...
Just say No to powershifting.
Old 5/30/05, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@May 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
Well ok, I'm the right age group that you're looking for and powershifting is the art of keeping your right foot on the accelerator and quickly runnin through the gears with your clutch without letting up on the gas.

Which of course has been mentioned a number of times since your post. Just drop it.
I have to throw in my 2 cents here, since KCTim is catching so much flak. The bottom line is that you are both right. My father taught me how to "powershift" in the 80's, on a Mustang with a standard 4-speed and it did NOT involve using the clutch!

Calling people names over this is ridiculous. Some people will use the term "powershifting" differently, and there's nothing anyone can say or do to change that. Happy powershifting to all!

Old 5/30/05, 10:41 PM
V6 Member

Power Shifting does not involve using the clutch. If they want to describe a Different System of shifting they should use a different word to describe it. If you want to use the same word to descibe two different things the original wins out every time IMO.
Old 5/30/05, 11:12 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@May 30, 2005, 4:24 AM
Powershifting is shifting WITH the clutch while keeping the car floored.

I'm sure your synchro's will love you for that
Old 5/31/05, 03:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

If anyone here was taught how to shift without the clutch, then they were taught wrong. That is not powershifting. It's just destroying your tranny. There is no such thing as powershifting without a clutch in the pro, semi-pro, or sportsman classes. Maybe in amateur... but then again, there's a reason they're called amateurs. You'll be laughed off the track if you think shifting with no clutch actually helps you.

heck, anybody got $500 bucks? I'll race ya for it if you think clutchless powershifting ups your 1/4 ET!!

Click on the link Powershifting 101 that racerx posted. It's 100% correct.

Remember, even if powershifting is done PERFECTLY, it still puts considerable wear/strain on the tranny and the motor. Be ready to replace parts. You MAY be able to get a dealer to replace certain parts (gear linkage, synchros) if it's early in the warranty, but those are some slim chances. Pay to play, and all that.
Old 5/31/05, 05:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

If you don't want to use the clutch get an automatic.

When downshifting at the right speed(slow) you don't need the clutch. I must say though I have never tried shifting without the clutch during acceleration.
Old 5/31/05, 05:53 AM

On a similar topic, I hear that the 05 manual has a short clutch travel. Does this mean that you don't need to push the clutch all the way to the floor in order to shift gears? I will be purchasing an 06 manual and would like to know before I ruin the tranny . Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old 5/31/05, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@May 30, 2005, 2:24 PM
Clutchless shifting is usually done only in an emergency, like when you have to get home because your clutch is blown from powershifting!
Hehe, yeah, I had a throwout bearing go on my Audi (after 200K miles, I wasn't too surprised). I had to drive it with no clutch for a mile or so to a repair facility. At stop light I would shut her down. The starter actually had enough torque to turn that engine over and start the car going in 1st gear once I had a green light.

Knowing how to upshift and downshift without using the clutch was quite helpful in that situation.
Old 5/31/05, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@May 31, 2005, 3:50 AM
If anyone here was taught how to shift without the clutch, then they were taught wrong. That is not powershifting. It's just destroying your tranny. There is no such thing as powershifting without a clutch in the pro, semi-pro, or sportsman classes. Maybe in amateur... but then again, there's a reason they're called amateurs. You'll be laughed off the track if you think shifting with no clutch actually helps you.

heck, anybody got $500 bucks? I'll race ya for it if you think clutchless powershifting ups your 1/4 ET!!

Click on the link Powershifting 101 that racerx posted. It's 100% correct.

Remember, even if powershifting is done PERFECTLY, it still puts considerable wear/strain on the tranny and the motor. Be ready to replace parts. You MAY be able to get a dealer to replace certain parts (gear linkage, synchros) if it's early in the warranty, but those are some slim chances. Pay to play, and all that.
Clearly the dozens and dozens of other people I have talked to are wrong. I bow to your wisdom. Clearly we are all "wrong" because you say we are wrong. Listen, I don't mean to be a smarta**, but there is room for difference of opinion and disagreement, but you people that come out here are say "you are wrong, period" are just full of crap. I am willing to accept that there may be two versions, apparently unlike you. There wouldn't be so many car saavy people out there telling me I am right if it did not exist.

Quick Reply: power shifting