GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is it possible to install a Pypes OR/H with ramps only?

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/08, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to install a Pypes OR/H with ramps only?

Hey, is it possible to install my ordered pypes or/h with rhino ramps only?

or should I...

1. Purchase a jack and stands = less to spend on mods
2. Go to the auto hobby on base and use one of there lifts? I have no experience with lifts!

Last edited by bored out; 6/30/08 at 08:39 PM.
Old 6/30/08, 08:59 PM

You can do it with just ramps.
Old 6/30/08, 10:04 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Sure you can do it with just ramps, but it's much easier if you have the car level on 4 jackstands. It especially helps by keeping your mid-pipe straight and level, when installing into the over the axle pipes. At least it was for me anyhow
Old 7/1/08, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I would get jack stands. You can get some really nice Husky SUV stands at Home Depot for like $30. I found it to be a pain to get the H pipe up into where it needs to go without the rear of the H pipe hitting the floor.

Plus, you'll find much, much use for those stands in the future. Just my .002.
Old 7/1/08, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I did 2 sets on ramps no problem and 1 of them was lowered.
Old 7/1/08, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I think that i'm going to give it a go with just the ramps. Should I line up the H pipe and clamp it down before I install it to the midpipe? i could line it up against the stock pipe. This might help install and I will have a helper who can be on the other side of the car.

Robbie, your car looks better every time I see it. one of the best grabbers on tms.
Old 7/1/08, 08:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
See edit below*

Tom, it's an easy job. You're better off having your friend help you by handing you the right tools rather than being underneath the car w/ you. I found having some long extensions (10"?) and a swivel very helpful, pretty much necessary to get it off the manifold. You'll want to get one side up and just shy of snug, then do the other side. Once you get both sides where they need to be w/ a good seal on the manifold, then tighten them down. The H will be hanging in the hangers, so don't worry about the backs yet. There's plenty of play in the over-axle pipes where you won't have any alignment problems there. If you get a bad seal do to alignment, it's going to be at the manifold.

* Edit: Oh crap, I forgot that Pypes is now using a 4 piece pipe. Anyways, ignore what I said, unless it helps. Some of it will still apply though, like the necessary tools, etc.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 7/1/08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 7/2/08, 06:08 AM
Cobra Member

Use the hobby shop on base, it's cheap and the people will help you.

And a lift is so freakin easy to use.
Old 7/2/08, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bored out
I think that i'm going to give it a go with just the ramps. Should I line up the H pipe and clamp it down before I install it to the midpipe? i could line it up against the stock pipe. This might help install and I will have a helper who can be on the other side of the car.

Robbie, your car looks better every time I see it. one of the best grabbers on tms.
Thanks! Did you get the new design or the old two piece. Mine were the two piece original design so I assembled them in the driveway on the flat ground and installed as one piece. Then once it was up there I tweaked it.
Old 7/2/08, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Robbieg
Thanks! Did you get the new design or the old two piece. Mine were the two piece original design so I assembled them in the driveway on the flat ground and installed as one piece. Then once it was up there I tweaked it.
Oh yeah that's right, they now offer a two piece design.
Old 7/2/08, 06:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 08VistablueGT
Oh yeah that's right, they now offer a two piece design.
You mean 4 piece... right? Or are they back to 2 again?

... hmm... I just checked their website and now they show no H-pipes... X-pipes only?
Old 7/2/08, 07:04 PM
V6 Member

Did mine with just ramps. Worked fine for me.
Old 7/2/08, 07:07 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
the lift would be easiest, but you should be able to do it with just the ramps
Old 7/2/08, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure what design I will be getting. I hope that it is the two piece design that taco used and is on the Brenspeed site because install shouldn't be that hard. It should be here tomorrow and I will know then and am planning to install with ramps only on friday.

Even though the Brenspeed tune really opened up my exhaust; I am sick of the whimpy stock exhaust!!!

I love the orh/stock ab sound. I wanted it much deeper and louder with no drone and no so loud that my neighbors will get upset and I think/hope this set up does the trick. Thanks for all the great tips, I love modding!!!
Old 7/3/08, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

I got the 4 piece design, not sure how I feel about this but will be giving install a chance this weekend.
Old 7/3/08, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
You can do it, don't be a pansy....... get ready for a complete change in exhaust sound.
Old 7/3/08, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Good pep talk Tom; I'm ready!!!
Old 7/4/08, 04:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Old 7/4/08, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Install is complete!!! I'm proud to say that I did it all myself even though I wondered if I am getting to old to be rolling around on hard concrete. Install went good, followed taco's directions of course. Uninstalling the factory H pipe was the hardest part, the or/h was a breeze because the cats were gone. I was glad to have the 4 piece design because it made life easier for me, I could see how it would have been more difficult with the 2 piece design. The ramps worked fine even though it was tight but my long reach helped out there.

Things to note...
* I purchased a 2 1/4" heavy duty clamp from Autozone before I started because I heard the supplied clamp was cramp, paid $3.00 = good investment.
* The upper O2 sensor on the passenger side was moved down on the new or/h pipe. The plug wires were not long enough to reach the connection. I had to unhook the female connection from its seat to get enough slack to make the connection. This left the plug connection floating a bit but it didn't seem like a problem because there wasn't enough slack for it to bounce around. I think this was a design flaw in the pipe.

Driving experience...The sound is perfect!!! A idol it was barely louder with my stock AB's but at WOT is sounded mean. I do not want to be loud all of the time so that the neighbors do not get upset but I can get on it and people know I'm coming. This was a great purchase at a great price!

Question...Do I need to reinstall my custom tune because I disconnected the battery? My car felt like it was running differently, not bad, but different. How does the free flowing exhaust effect the car. I almost stalled once and another time pulled out at 4,000 from a stop trying to drive normal. Anyone notice any changes in drivability or maybe it was just me. I can say that it felt strong and I'm sure that I just gained 5-10 hp.
Old 7/4/08, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bored out
Install is complete!!! I'm proud to say that I did it all myself even though I wondered if I am getting to old to be rolling around on hard concrete. Install went good, followed taco's directions of course. Uninstalling the factory H pipe was the hardest part, the or/h was a breeze because the cats were gone. I was glad to have the 4 piece design because it made life easier for me, I could see how it would have been more difficult with the 2 piece design. The ramps worked fine even though it was tight but my long reach helped out there.

Things to note...
* I purchased a 2 1/4" heavy duty clamp from Autozone before I started because I heard the supplied clamp was cramp, paid $3.00 = good investment.
* The upper O2 sensor on the passenger side was moved down on the new or/h pipe. The plug wires were not long enough to reach the connection. I had to unhook the female connection from its seat to get enough slack to make the connection. This left the plug connection floating a bit but it didn't seem like a problem because there wasn't enough slack for it to bounce around. I think this was a design flaw in the pipe.

Driving experience...The sound is perfect!!! A idol it was barely louder with my stock AB's but at WOT is sounded mean. I do not want to be loud all of the time so that the neighbors do not get upset but I can get on it and people know I'm coming. This was a great purchase at a great price!

Question...Do I need to reinstall my custom tune because I disconnected the battery? My car felt like it was running differently, not bad, but different. How does the free flowing exhaust effect the car. I almost stalled once and another time pulled out at 4,000 from a stop trying to drive normal. Anyone notice any changes in drivability or maybe it was just me. I can say that it felt strong and I'm sure that I just gained 5-10 hp.
No you don't need to reload your tune. Disconnecting the battery does not affect it. Congrats on the install, I love mine

Quick Reply: Is it possible to install a Pypes OR/H with ramps only?