GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Porting 3v heads leads to some serious #'s!

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/05, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Saw this on another forum and had to post it here. Seems there is a lot of HP lurking in the 3V cylinder heads just waiting to be released!!! Who needs a blower??!!

Ported 3V heads
Old 5/27/05, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thats good to here !! Who knows maybe one day 400 rwhp with a heads/ cam package??

Thanks Mike
Old 5/27/05, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah...thats Johnny Z on this forum. The one that has the BBR Lnor kit.
Old 5/27/05, 06:13 AM

I would tend to go with Livernois's head porting over BBR. I know Livernois knows what they're doing. I'm not knocking BBR, but I just haven't heard too many good things about them. They are local to me. The Livernois head job is only $300 more which is worth my mind being at ease.
Old 5/27/05, 06:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@May 27, 2005, 8:16 AM
I would tend to go with Livernois's head porting over BBR. I know Livernois knows what they're doing. I'm not knocking BBR, but I just haven't heard too many good things about them. They are local to me. The Livernois head job is only $300 more which is worth my mind being at ease.

I'm seriously considering going with Livernois. Although they don't have a whole lot of info on their site about the heads. Like is the price for a complete set of heads??? Would I have to send my stock heads back to them??? I sent them an email and all they gave me was the price. Once my order for my car is finalized (hopefully today) I'm going to give them a call. I've also heard of another company out of Florida called Boss330 Racing which is supposed to be really good.

Boss330 Racing

Decisions, decisions...........
Old 5/27/05, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

They are gome great numbers
Old 5/27/05, 07:16 AM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by StangFreak@May 26, 2005, 10:03 PM
Saw this on another forum and had to post it here. Seems there is a lot of HP lurking in the 3V cylinder heads just waiting to be released!!! Who needs a blower??!!
Ported 3V heads

:worship: :worship:
Old 5/27/05, 07:50 AM
V6 Member

Yes, you have to supply them with a set of head to port n polish.
Old 5/27/05, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 169stang@May 27, 2005, 6:16 AM
Why, what have you heard about BBR Dave? Seriously though, what and whom has told you info about that shop.

I am still trying to nail down a shop for installation on mods. I have gone to a few for my 2000GT, some that I liked and others I'll pass. I am trying to find one that has done work on the new '05.
Old 5/27/05, 11:23 AM

For the record the BBR heads are full CNC and not hand port like some others
WOW CNC and $ 300.00 cheaper
Dave (169stang)
We have spoke a couple times at the track and I am not sure what you have heard, But everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Our heads are are here and ready to ship.. Complete tune will be complete this weekend and the 380 and maybe even that 400 mark should be met...
Old 5/27/05, 11:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Blow-By Racing@May 27, 2005, 11:26 AM
For the record the BBR heads are full CNC and not hand port like some others
WOW CNC and $ 300.00 cheaper
Dave (169stang)
We have spoke a couple times at the track and I am not sure what you have heard, But everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Our heads are are here and ready to ship.. Complete tune will be complete this weekend and the 380 and maybe even that 400 mark should be met...

BBR, are your P/P heads more for a drag racer set up, street performance, or both? I am concerned about the car running rough at idle. The car should/would run like stock but w/ more power?
Old 5/27/05, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by creedog@May 27, 2005, 11:40 AM
BBR, are your P/P heads more for a drag racer set up, street performance, or both? I am concerned about the car running rough at idle. The car should/would run like stock but w/ more power?

they are set-up for a daily driven car. They are very streetable and do not effect the idle. Our heads are fully CNC'd unlike the others that are hand ported. Ours are consistent and have proven they make power.
Old 5/27/05, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks BBR. It looks like something in the future for me perhaps. Does the P/P job change the compression at all, or it that really just found it the type of cylinder design used?
Old 5/27/05, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

They do not effect the compression at all. I have them on my car. I'm J666Z on SVT Performance.com

I personally love the heads. I was very impressed with the power gain I got with these heads.

169Stang.... what bad stuff have you heard about BBR? I haven't heard heard anything bad at all about them... they are just a new company... So if you are bad mouthing tem b/c you don't know them, thats pretty weak man.
Old 5/27/05, 12:37 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by JohnnyZ@May 27, 2005, 1:28 PM
They do not effect the compression at all. I have them on my car. I'm J666Z on SVT Performance.com

I personally love the heads. I was very impressed with the power gain I got with these heads.
169Stang.... what bad stuff have you heard about BBR? I haven't heard heard anything bad at all about them... they are just a new company... So if you are bad mouthing tem b/c you don't know them, thats pretty weak man.
May have to up my Birthday Allowance
Old 5/27/05, 01:00 PM
FR500 Member

I'm very interested.

BBR- Can you give a little more info here on what is involved with having the heads ported? How much down-time are we talking here? Will I have to take my stock heads off, send them to you, and wait for the new ones to get here? Or do you send them out when ordered + a core charge and then refund that charge when you receive my stock heads?

And the price is $1700? Can't wait to see the dyno results... please post them here.
Old 5/27/05, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by acadian@May 27, 2005, 3:03 PM
I'm very interested.

BBR- Can you give a little more info here on what is involved with having the heads ported? How much down-time are we talking here? Will I have to take my stock heads off, send them to you, and wait for the new ones to get here? Or do you send them out when ordered + a core charge and then refund that charge when you receive my stock heads?

And the price is $1700? Can't wait to see the dyno results... please post them here.

I posted my dyno results on here already.
I made 338.8 RWHP / 346.2 RWTQ

link to dyno graph:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Blow...-E-NA_mod-1.bmp

My heads were used as the prototype. But, I know Chris has a set in the shop. So he'll probably send them to you with a core charge and then you just send your stock ones back once you get the ported ones. i guess thats how it works. LOL
Old 5/27/05, 02:25 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks for the response. Your dyno graph is really small... can't read the numbers. WHat was your actual gain with the heads?
Old 5/27/05, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

With three companies to choose from this is going to be tuff!!!
I am set on getting a good set of heads for my car when it comes in. It seems to be one of the best mods you can do for the new Stangs. Throw in some of the other mods like CAI, full exhaust, a good tune and your close to the 400hp (crank) mark. Not bad for a NA motor!!! :headbang:

BBR, are there any options you can get with your heads or is it just one standard set up. I'd like to get better valves/springs than what comes on the stock head. Also, I'm assuming there is a core charge. Does the $1700 include the core charge or is that seperate. Guess I need to give you guys a call!!!
Old 5/27/05, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JohnnyZ@May 27, 2005, 3:15 PM
I posted my dyno results on here already.
I made 338.8 RWHP / 346.2 RWTQ

link to dyno graph:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/Blow...-E-NA_mod-1.bmp

My heads were used as the prototype. But, I know Chris has a set in the shop. So he'll probably send them to you with a core charge and then you just send your stock ones back once you get the ported ones. i guess thats how it works. LOL

JohnnyZ, I'm 03Terminator from SVTPerformance.com. Hope you don't mind me dragging your post over here. Your still doing some additional tunning on your car correct??? If you could post any improvement you get in your numbers here it would help others decide on which company to go with. I'm kind of stuck between Livernois and BBR at the moment but leaning towards BBR because they are $300.00 cheaper. Even though it seems the Livernois heads make a little more power.

Thanks!!!

Jim

Quick Reply: Porting 3v heads leads to some serious #'s!