GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Plenum Cover and Strut Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/06, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have both a Midwest Plenum Cover and a strut tower brace. I saw pics one guy posted with a Steeda strut brace which had enough clearance.
I was wondering if anyone else knows of other braces that will fit with the plenum cover. Thanks
Old 1/16/06, 01:28 AM
Bullitt Member

bump

i am wondering this too, those covers are so darn secksy
Old 1/16/06, 06:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have the intake cover and I just bought the GMS double strut tower brace, and I called him b4 I bought it and he said it just makes clearnace over the intake cover, so I bought it for $150. They also have a single strut tower brace for $75.

This is the single:

This is the double:

Both these strut tower braces will clear the intake cover.

Here is a pic of both together:
Old 1/16/06, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's you answer.

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25091

I just ordered my FRPP strut tower brace saturday, it's shipping today, I'll post a pic when it gets here.
Old 1/16/06, 07:44 PM
GT Member

worked for me
Old 1/19/06, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just got the FRPP strut tower brace in the mail today; and I'm sorry to say it does NOT fit.
The back bar has more of an angle on it and there is a good 3/16" between the bar and the Midwest cover. The front bar there is no room in fact you have to push down on the cover to get it to fit flush on the strut towers.
So that leaves me with two options ; well really 3. return it, take the cover off, or modify it so it does fit. I don't like the first two options so that leaves me with number three. It shouldn't be to hard to raise up the front bar.
Old 1/19/06, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

How abou putting a few washers underneath the strut bar? Will that raise it enough?

I have the FRPP strut brace too and would like to eventually put some sort of plenum cover - hopefully the Ford one whenever it comes out.
Old 1/19/06, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

no, it looks like it going to need aleast 1/2" and the strut bolts are not long enough.
Old 1/19/06, 09:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Same problem with the Granatelli MotorSports STB, it hits the intake cover, but I just tightened the sucker down on the intake cover, it pushed the intake cover in the center a good CM or 2, not too worried about it, but its on there and its snugged! Yea the angle your talking about is unbelievable, but I took pics of it, here they are.....

Look at the angle on the one pic!

FordRacing,

Old 1/19/06, 09:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The GMS front bar doesn't hit the hood? Maybe a dumb question but maybe it goes on the other way with high bar in the back?
Old 1/19/06, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yep,
The bends look the same but I think you have your bar on the wrong way, At least the FRPP brace has the higher bar in the back. However I don't think it's going to make any difference with fitment.

On a side note you'll probably crack your cover when you get on the car, There is a lot of movement in the stock motor mounts.

I plan on cutting the front bar off both mounts, raise it up then reweld it to the brackets. Then I'll have to repaint the whole thing. I'll try to get some pictures.
Old 1/20/06, 04:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Does anybody make a strut tower brace that won't rub on the Midwest cover?
Old 1/20/06, 06:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BuzzyStang05@January 20, 2006, 12:56 AM
The GMS front bar doesn't hit the hood? Maybe a dumb question but maybe it goes on the other way with high bar in the back?

I've tried both ways, they are identically the same, so either way, its gonna angle like that. But I think its the design of the strut bar itself and the way the strut towers are. And no, the front bar doesnt hit the hood. I'll give GMS a call this morning when they open and see if thats an issue of the way its on there and if maybe they need to send me a new bar, because i dont know anything about strut tower bars. But he assured me when I bought it that it would clear the MWAG intake cover, if not, I'll see if I can trade it in for the single bar strut tower brace they also offer.
Old 1/20/06, 09:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Called Granatelli MotorSports, they said thats the way it was made. JR also has a Midwest AutoGear Intake Cover with the same STB as I have and its the same with how it comes down on the intake cover! Its normal! But Granatelli says that I can put washers under the back end bolts to raise the back bar a little higher but not to put too many on or else I wont have enough thread to bolt it all back down!
Old 1/20/06, 10:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Update:

I went to the mechanic shop here at my work and took "4" 3/8 inch washers and put two on each back bolt and it def. worked!! It raised the back bar up just enough to let off a lot of pressure on the intake cover! Very Pleased! Still handles awesome!
Old 1/20/06, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Your not upset your GMS brace didn't come the way it's pictured on the site?

I ordered the same GMS double bar brace and expected to see the 4 hole pattern on each end, the same as what's in their picture. Mine came just like yours with only two holes on each end to mount the brace. I liked the idea of having it secured by 4 bolts instead of just two.
Mine doesn't even come close to fitting over my Midwest Cover, as they said it would. I'm sending mine back for full credit. Looks like there's some variance from car to car between the engine's height and the strut towers.

hags1
Old 1/21/06, 10:55 AM
Former Vendor

We do offer the 4 hole brace that goes around the entire strut tower. But it sits lower then the 2 hole hole version. The brace may be a slight bit of an interfearance fit but that should nto stop you guys from installing it. We also offer the high dollar billet version with double adjustable bars but it is not $75.00 or $150.00. You guys are worried about the parts touching but it really is not an issue.

lastly DO NOT PUT WASHERS BETWEEN THE STRUT TOWER AND BRACE. That would defeat the purpose of the brace.
Old 1/21/06, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Granatelli@January 21, 2006, 1:58 PM
We do offer the 4 hole brace that goes around the entire strut tower. But it sits lower then the 2 hole hole version. The brace may be a slight bit of an interfearance fit but that should nto stop you guys from installing it. We also offer the high dollar billet version with double adjustable bars but it is not $75.00 or $150.00. You guys are worried about the parts touching but it really is not an issue.

lastly DO NOT PUT WASHERS BETWEEN THE STRUT TOWER AND BRACE. That would defeat the purpose of the brace.
JR,

I called someone at your place and I spoke to another gentleman there, he said you were out of town and were not there. He was the one that told me to put the washers under the brace!
Old 1/22/06, 11:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@January 21, 2006, 10:29 PM
JR,

I called someone at your place and I spoke to another gentleman there, he said you were out of town and were not there. He was the one that told me to put the washers under the brace!

Lol, that cant be good.

I hear the steeda one fits without problems. And if clearance is an issue, it will eventually rub a hole in the intake cover. But at least its covered up by the bar.
Old 1/22/06, 03:05 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FordRacing@January 20, 2006, 1:33 AM
Yep,
The bends look the same but I think you have your bar on the wrong way, At least the FRPP brace has the higher bar in the back. However I don't think it's going to make any difference with fitment.

On a side note you'll probably crack your cover when you get on the car, There is a lot of movement in the stock motor mounts.

I plan on cutting the front bar off both mounts, raise it up then reweld it to the brackets. Then I'll have to repaint the whole thing. I'll try to get some pictures.
There isn't that much movement. I have the shaker installed and the thing barely moves at all.

Quick Reply: Plenum Cover and Strut Tower Brace