GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pleasantly Surprised by Mustang Dyno Numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/06, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pleasantly Surprised by Mustang Dyno Numbers!

A bunch of us Stangers including MTAS (Dave), ChrisM (Chris), one beautiful Ford GT, and a few others met up at Coastal dyno here in Tampa this past Saturday to see what kind of power our cars are actually putting down. This was my first dyno experience and I enjoyed it a lot.

First we watched the Ford GT get hooked up to the Mustang dyno only to find out that no one knew how to disable the car’s traction control system. (It is not a button like our Mustangs.)

The GT sounded awesome until it reached a specific speed and the computer and / or ABS system stepped in and kept the car from reaching the point where it could be measured. Too bad, we were all very interested in those numbers.

My car’s second pull was 292.3 Max Power and 307.9 Max torque on 87 octane fuel.

A/F ratio was good, from 12.53 at low RPMs to 12.08 at high RPMs.

I am happy with the results and a little surprised based on my limited modifications.

Power Mods:

C&L intake and MAF, Diablosport Predator C&L specific 91 octane tune adjusted for 87 octane, Flowmaster Axle back exhaust
Attached Thumbnails Pleasantly Surprised by Mustang Dyno Numbers!-100_2005forum.jpg   Pleasantly Surprised by Mustang Dyno Numbers!-100_2021forum.jpg   Pleasantly Surprised by Mustang Dyno Numbers!-dyno2bforum.jpg  
Old 5/21/06, 08:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am confused .why do you have a 91 tune and use 87? Anyways,wish I could have been there.. I thought w/ a CAI and tune,you would be up around 320 hp?
Old 5/21/06, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Boltzman
thought w/ a CAI and tune,you would be up around 320 hp?
Maybe fwhp, but not rwhp... that would be a miracle (or a lie).
Old 5/21/06, 09:23 PM
Cobra Member

Im not really surprised by those numbers, you have an engine that probably was on the upper end of the stock numbers range. You also have a manual 5 speed so you also have less drivetrain loss over the auto 5 speed.

-Dan
Old 5/22/06, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

why do you have a 91 tune and use 87?
The C&L specific tune for the Diablosport Predator only comes in two flavors, 93 octane and 91 octane. If you want to use 87 octane fuel, you must adjust the timing a few degrees negatively to prevent detonation.

As for HP, yes the dyno rating is for rear wheel horse power (rwhp). Actual engine only or flywheel horsepower can only be estimated without removing the engine. I think the general rule of thumb for our cars is about a 15% drivetrain power loss for manual transmission cars. If that is accurate, my flywheel numbers are somewhere around 343.9 HP and 362.2 TQ. Anything close to that makes me pretty happy!
Old 5/22/06, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Join me and the rest of us in the stang gang! We had our dyno day there at coastal... I have yet to go there though. Good numbers btw!!

www.thestanggang.com
Old 5/22/06, 09:01 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by LimeGT
The C&L specific tune for the Diablosport Predator only comes in two flavors, 93 octane and 91 octane. If you want to use 87 octane fuel, you must adjust the timing a few degrees negatively to prevent detonation.

As for HP, yes the dyno rating is for rear wheel horse power (rwhp). Actual engine only or flywheel horsepower can only be estimated without removing the engine. I think the general rule of thumb for our cars is about a 15% drivetrain power loss for manual transmission cars. If that is accurate, my flywheel numbers are somewhere around 343.9 HP and 362.2 TQ. Anything close to that makes me pretty happy!
Why get a cai only to use 87 octane?(Unless you are waiting for gas prices to drop which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future)
Old 5/23/06, 09:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah it was definitely a good time! Always fun to hang around a bunch of gear heads
Old 5/23/06, 10:48 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Why get a cai only to use 87 octane?(Unless you are waiting for gas prices to drop which I don't see happening in the foreseeable future)
Even with it tuned for 87 octane it'll give better performance than the stock setup. Plus with the airbox gone, it sounds just a little meaner.
Old 5/23/06, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Personal choice. As Jay stated so simply; "Even with it tuned for 87 octane it'll give better performance than the stock setup." He's right, and it's a very noticeable difference in power as well as sound. I've tried the 93 octane tune a couple of times and I really coudn't tell much of a difference. I did not dyno it with 93, so I don't know for sure what the difference is.

I can't really say it's for the money. Even with my 60+ mile one-way daily commute, 93 would only cost me about $6 more a week.

Maybe it's because I feel good when I make more power that guys with more mods and 93 octane tunes. (I won't mention any names, but you know who you are.)

If I do the dyno thing again before I make any mods, I will probably try the 93 tune again just to see what's what.

See you around Tampa sometime!
Old 5/23/06, 07:48 PM

sounds like you guys had alot of fun maybe next time I will join ya and have something a lil more to dyno
Old 5/23/06, 08:02 PM
GTR Member

Personal choice. As Jay stated so simply; "Even with it tuned for 87 octane it'll give better performance than the stock setup." He's right, and it's a very noticeable difference in power as well as sound. I've tried the 93 octane tune a couple of times and I really coudn't tell much of a difference. I did not dyno it with 93, so I don't know for sure what the difference is.

I can't really say it's for the money. Even with my 60+ mile one-way daily commute, 93 would only cost me about $6 more a week.

Maybe it's because I feel good when I make more power that guys with more mods and 93 octane tunes. (I won't mention any names, but you know who you are.)

If I do the dyno thing again before I make any mods, I will probably try the 93 tune again just to see what's what.

See you around Tampa sometime!
cool. does the sct2 have 87 tune??i wanna get steeda cai w/sct2 installed at Bill Currie in Tampa.It will be covered under warranty! I am off for the summer so hopefully we can hook up. One more thing, since you are from this area ,could you recommend a body shop that will paint and install Roush fascia??
Old 5/24/06, 05:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Old 5/24/06, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out Brandon Ford on Adoma Dr. in Tampa, FL - they are a big Roush dealer and they do parts and service as well. www.brandonford.com

yes, i live in TX - but know where the Roush Dealers are
Careful not to look at all the Stage 2s they got there, er, you might be coming home with more than a new Fascia
Old 5/24/06, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

BTW - Congrats on the Dyno #s LimeGT
Old 5/24/06, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice Numbers, Im running the 93 with JLTII + the pullies and flowmasters, and only hit 288hp.
Must be that thicker Florida air
Old 5/24/06, 09:01 PM
GTR Member

Thanks Stangette!! Yeah I got the mod bug real bad. I guess it's better than the bird flu though
Old 5/25/06, 07:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Stangette!! Yeah I got the mod bug real bad. I guess it's better than the bird flu though
think i'm the mod bug - really - have two of them A Refire on red Auto Dlr. Custom Built Roush (show girl) and a MG LI Roush Manual. With two of them i can go crazy with just the thought of what all can be done. The red one is screaming for a plenum delete kit real bad
Old 5/25/06, 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

cool. does the sct2 have 87 tune??i wanna get steeda cai w/sct2 installed at Bill Currie in Tampa.It will be covered under warranty! I am off for the summer so hopefully we can hook up. One more thing, since you are from this area ,could you recommend a body shop that will paint and install Roush fascia??
Call Autobody Tek @ (813) 933-9765 and ask for Brian (he's the owner). He does fantastic work and is an extreme perfectionist. He's my neighbor and I've referred many people to him and none have been disappointed. The guy who bought my 96GT from me took it there when it got hit. The car is black and was hit right on a crease at the bottom of the door. Brian didn't replace the door panel, he repaired it. There is absolutely no way you can tell the car was ever hit - the body work is perfect and the paint/clearcoat matches perfect as well. I'm sure Stangette's recommendation of Brandon Ford is appreciated, however I wouldn't have them change a valve stem on any of my cars, much less leave the car there to have a Roush bumper installed - no way in HELL.
Old 5/25/06, 04:10 PM
GTR Member

Thanks Dave. Yeah I was a little apprehensive of Brandon Ford because they flat out lied to me when I was looking to buy my car last year.

Quick Reply: Pleasantly Surprised by Mustang Dyno Numbers!