GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Pinging after Bama tune install - should I go back to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/07, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinging after Bama tune install - should I go back to stock?

I just sent the following email to Doug at B amachips, but he sometimes takes a while to respond, so I thought I'd let the experts on the forums answer. Thanks in advance.

Hi Doug,

Just installed the JLTII CAI and your 87 Perf tune in my 06 Stang. I noticed a couple things:

- I'm getting noticable pinging in 2nd and sometimes 1st gear. This is at half throttle or slightly less (normal driving). Engine was good and warm. Only noticed pinging once with the stock tune, and that was with engine cold and WOT. Should I uninstall the CAI and go back to stock while I wait for you to adjust the tune?

- Shifting firmness: Great for WOT, but maybe a bit much for daily driving. Can I adjust that with the Xcal2? Or do you have to do that?

- Shift points: At half throttle or less (normal driving), 2nd gear seems to hang quite awhile before shifting into 3rd. Also after it shifts from 3rd to 4th, it's only in 4th for like a split second before it shifts to OD, and then it seems to drag a bit. Can I use the Xcal2 to change the shifts points for 2nd to 3rd, and 4th to OD? Or do you have to do that?

- Only drove it about 30 miles thus far, and there's already heavy black soot on the tailpipes - running rich I believe. Is that normal for your tunes?

Thanks,

Rich
Old 7/31/07, 01:40 PM
GT Member

Somethings wrong with the tune, I'd go back to stock, if your getting some ping with the stock tune I'd try a different gas. What kind of gas are you using. Personally I'd go with a higher octane tune like a 91, it'll perform better.
Old 7/31/07, 01:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would contact Doug and tell him your problem. He may email you the tune or have suggestions for you to try.
Old 7/31/07, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cfr865
Somethings wrong with the tune, I'd go back to stock, if your getting some ping with the stock tune I'd try a different gas. What kind of gas are you using. Personally I'd go with a higher octane tune like a 91, it'll perform better.
No pinging with when stock, except once when I nailed it with engine cold.

I do have 93 torque and 93 race tunes ready to go, but still have 3/4 tank 87 to burn first.
Old 7/31/07, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

we are all anxious about our tunes, but sounds like you be better of going
stock and waiting for your tuner. remember, better safe than sorry.
Old 7/31/07, 03:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The 87 octane in it may not be all that great. Both of mine would get slight detonation with 87 in the summer sometimes(both stock). I would just leave it stock, run the gas out and fill with 93 and re-tune and install the CAI again. At '0 to empty' according to the fuel **** in the message center, you have about 1.6 gallons left. Hit '0', run it about 10-12 miles normal driving. and fill it up with 93.
Old 7/31/07, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's back to stock. I'll wait until I hear from Doug before I do anything else.
Old 7/31/07, 08:07 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Good decision, as Doug will get to the bottom of it, and make sure that you're pinging issue is resolved..
Old 8/1/07, 05:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Black pipes and pinging don't go together. You can't be rich and ping.

First things first, allow Doug to help you. He's a busy man, but worth the wait.
You should have full adjustability in the tuner for your shift points. Just go into the "adjustable perameters" section and make your adjustments.

Good luck
Jay
Old 8/1/07, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tucker
Black pipes and pinging don't go together. You can't be rich and ping.

First things first, allow Doug to help you. He's a busy man, but worth the wait.
You should have full adjustability in the tuner for your shift points. Just go into the "adjustable perameters" section and make your adjustments.

Good luck
Jay
I thought pinging was usually ignition timing related, while running rich is air/fuel. I know it's not quite that simple, but if that's correct, couldn't you be running rich AND have ignition timing isssues independantly?
Old 8/1/07, 08:17 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Pinging is typically from running to much timing on to lean of a fuel curve.
Old 8/1/07, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
Pinging is typically from running to much timing on to lean of a fuel curve.
Well, I doubt it's that since I wiped the tailpipes clean before the tune/CAI install, and within 20 miles after, they were pretty black. So it appears I'm running rich AND pinging, so the pinging must be something else.
Old 8/1/07, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Are you sure you have the MAF installed in the correct direction?

I do not like hearing something like this about Doug's tune especially considering all the normally good things that are said about him.

Richard
Old 8/1/07, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yea, tripled checked the FLOW arrow. I took my time with the install - all was good.

Haven't heard from him yet - 2 emails and a phone call. Hope it's not too much longer.
Old 8/1/07, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Doug had posted he lost an employee and is having a tough time keeping up. I have a diablo tuner with 93 ard shift. if i run 87 gas it pings. 93 octane it runs fine. if i run 91 octan it will ping on hard WOT. i hope this helps. i would try running all the 87 out, filling 93 and installing the tunes again.
Old 8/1/07, 08:05 PM
GT Member

Ut oh, I have to wipe my tailpipes down once a week or so to get the black soot off. Am I running rich? It's been like that for months...
Old 8/2/07, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2005mach1
Doug had posted he lost an employee and is having a tough time keeping up. I have a diablo tuner with 93 ard shift. if i run 87 gas it pings. 93 octane it runs fine. if i run 91 octan it will ping on hard WOT. i hope this helps. i would try running all the 87 out, filling 93 and installing the tunes again.
In that same post, he also stated that he hired a new employee and removed his phone number from his website to reduce call volume. He implied that he had finally caught up with his emails. I do realize that he was at Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach last week, so he's probably got some catching up to do again. I just hope once he's caught up, there won't be such a long delay between question and response, 'cause it'll take forever to get this taken care of that way.

I can't tell from your post - are you running an 87 tune or a 93 tune?
Old 8/2/07, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great - now Doug's voice mailbox is full.
Old 8/2/07, 11:11 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Rash
In that same post, he also stated that he hired a new employee
That only comes by and works on saturday's if you read the post.
Old 8/2/07, 11:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

From that same post: "Now I get the amount of calls I can handle each day without falling behind on my important email support."

Look, I'm not trying to knock Doug. I know he has a great reputation for customer service - that's one of the reasons I went with him. I have no doubt that he'll resolve the issues eventually. But as it is, my CAI is a paperweight right now.

Quick Reply: Pinging after Bama tune install - should I go back to stock?