GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Octane question

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/07, 04:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is exactly correct. The spark table is set up for 87/89 from the factory. The difference with just 1 degree of timing on the three valves can be amazing. On F/I motors 1 degree of timing can be as high as 20HP in some areas.

CR
Old 12/14/07, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

The Ford Press Release on the Bullitt says:

Engine performance is further enhanced through the use of an innovative adaptive spark ignition system, new for the 2008 Mustang.
The system can sense, within a few seconds, what type of fuel is being injected into the motor and adjusts the spark to provide maximum torque at any given speed - and as much as
10 pounds-feet more between 1,000 and 4,000 rpm.
Bullitt can run on either premium or regular fuel. Ford recommends premium fuel for optimum performance, but the adaptive spark ignition will adjust the spark to burn regular fuel without damaging the engine.

I am curious as to whether this "adaptive spark ignition system" is included in all 2008's, is a job 2 add (with Bullitt building); or is unique to the Bullitt.

It seems that it may be in all 2008 GT's. Question really is -- if that is the case and you have the 90mm CAK -- which is what is in the Bullitt, will the timing on the Ford tune retard enough to burn 87 without detonation?

My wife drives an Acura TSX with a 91 octane recommendation. It will burn 87 -- the computer adjusts and just lowers the output.

If the 08s will do this -- it gives you the option of filling up with lower octane for regular driving and higher octane when you want the 325 ponies.

Anyone have any information on whether this system is in all 08's -- it may be why the tunes were later getting out -- and whether it works?
Old 12/14/07, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to test your fuel economy as well. That extra timing that the computer can put in with higher octane fuel does help fuel economy. On some cars, the improvements in fuel economy can offset the slight cost increase in the fuel itself.

On my 05, I saw a 1/2 mpg increase overall (averaged over several tank fuels for both grades and in similar driving conditions, aka: my daily commute!). My sisters '96 T-bird (4.6L) is down right picky about fuel. It gets anywere from 2 to 3 mpg more on 91 (best available up here) vs 86. Its enough a difference for her that it actually costs her money to use the "cheap" gas.

You have to love adaptive, learning computers!
Old 12/14/07, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I would actually go as far as saying that a higher octane fuel could decrease performance if you aren't tuned for it.
Old 12/19/07, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Bump #22 -- Anyone know anything on the Adaptive Spark Timing?

Thanks.
Old 12/19/07, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
I would actually go as far as saying that a higher octane fuel could decrease performance if you aren't tuned for it.
Not a chance on these cars, similar power - maybe, decrease - no way!
Old 12/20/07, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by c25sailor
I am curious as to whether this "adaptive spark ignition system" is included in all 2008's, is a job 2 add (with Bullitt building); or is unique to the Bullitt.

It seems that it may be in all 2008 GT's...Anyone have any information on whether this system is in all 08's -- it may be why the tunes were later getting out -- and whether it works?
Paul Randle stated in an interview that it would carry over to all new models, but I am not positive as to the 2008 GTs.

I think this is a very good feature for the new Bullitt.
Old 12/20/07, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Mark. My Dealer is waiting for my tune from Ford Racing. He is also trying to find out whether this feature is active. It is a great feature period -- protects you against underperforming fuel and the works. I'm continuing to look for information. Only problem with the whole deal is that Ford Racing takes about a week to get the tune to you.
Old 12/20/07, 07:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost all cars have knock sensors, including the 05-07's. The difference is just that the revised knock sensors for the Bullit (and possibly the 08GT's too) evidently have the ability to add more timing if it is determined the octane rating is high enough to support it...thereby increasing hp.

The old knock sensors just pulled timing, but would not add any extra timing if you were running say...91 octane. It would still protect your engine from lower than 87 octane fuel though.
Old 12/20/07, 11:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Louie
The lowest grade gas here is 95RON (~93 octane US), so I could never compare it to 87, but once I filled up with 100RON gas in Germany and there was absolutely no difference in performance, since I didn't have a tune at the time.
Save yourself the money and don't use 93 unless you add a tune.
95 RON is 91 PON (US Pump Octane Rating), not 93. The 100 RON you got in Germany is what I normally use, and thats 95.8 PON. Take a look at this page: http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/R...RONMONPON.html
Old 12/21/07, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
Almost all cars have knock sensors, including the 05-07's. The difference is just that the revised knock sensors for the Bullit (and possibly the 08GT's too) evidently have the ability to add more timing if it is determined the octane rating is high enough to support it...thereby increasing hp.

The old knock sensors just pulled timing, but would not add any extra timing if you were running say...91 octane. It would still protect your engine from lower than 87 octane fuel though.
It's not the knock sensors, it is the programming. Our S197 GTs are programmed to advance timing by a few degrees if it does not detect knock. In fact, this has been the case for most Fords equipped with knock sensors. The programming for my factory 07 GT advances timing by 8* below 3000 RPM and advances by 2* above 3000 RPM if it does not detect knock. The 03 E-250 has the same setting. It has nothing to do with how new/old the knock sensor(s) are, it's the programming in the PCM. The knock sensor advance is only meant to help boost power with good gas and not to be used solely to determine what octane fuel you use. A 93 octane tune will generally bump up the spark on a variety of different tables and does not rely solely on the knock sensor advance.

I use Meijer 87 octane in the Mustang and get 23-24 mpg on the highway.
Old 12/21/07, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Charlie:

Any knowledge on the 08 programming -- is the adaptive system advertised for the Bullitt -- 87 -93 w/ 325 horses on the high test (w/ Ford Racing CAK) going to be the same on the regular GT. I'm still waiting for the tune from Ford on mine -- and trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to get the Bullitt Flash.
Old 12/22/07, 04:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by c25sailor
Charlie:

Any knowledge on the 08 programming -- is the adaptive system advertised for the Bullitt -- 87 -93 w/ 325 horses on the high test (w/ Ford Racing CAK) going to be the same on the regular GT. I'm still waiting for the tune from Ford on mine -- and trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to get the Bullitt Flash.
Unlikely. The new Ford Racing CAI kit is going to have a different air transfer from the stock programming. It's just as adaptive as what we have right now although it is probably tuned a bit more conservatively if 87 octane can be used with a hit in power output.