GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

OBX longtube headers???????

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/07, 05:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OBX longtube headers???????

Was looking around on fleabay for a set of Kooks used headers for cheap(yeah right) and came across these. I have never heard of OBX but you have to admit that at $395 for longtubes and H-pipes plus $32 bucks shipping on 304 s.s. headers ain't bad. I paid more than this for my offroad Mac Prochamber. Anyone have any experience with these...good or bad? It doesn't say what size the primary tubing is and are those resonators in the H-pipe?
Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...ayphotohosting
Old 2/4/07, 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I've never heard of them before. After looking at the other systems they make, maybe they're more known for import performance?

The system looks nice........if you scroll down that page, you'll see cat converters that they sell and they look much different than what's welded in these- maybe they are resonators????
Old 2/4/07, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
agreed on the import part. looks like a good product. When I do a web search alls I ge is imported cars.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...-8&sa=N&tab=iw
Old 2/4/07, 09:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hehehe, Scott wants to buy import parts for his Mustang........

Old 2/4/07, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
hehehe, Scott wants to buy import parts for his Mustang........

I gotta make a Lowe's run...I'll deal with you when I get back.
Old 2/4/07, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I paid more than this for my offroad Mac Prochamber.
Let me know if you sell your prochamber, ok?
Old 2/4/07, 12:05 PM
FR500 Member

By looking at the pictures that only thing I question is how the tubes are attached to the flange. On my JBA's the tubes are flanged and inserted into the manifold flange and then welded on both sides. These look they are just welded on the outside of the flange and that's it. Could be a point for failure or leaks. But if they stand behind their product
Old 2/4/07, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

OBX is like the autozone version of peformance parts.. like the cheap stuff you pickup when you want to rice out your car....

Mostly import parts and cheap crap like Razo...

not worth wasting your money imho.

If you want to go cheap, just have some muffler shop weld up some pipes... probably last longer too.
Old 2/4/07, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
OBX is like the autozone version of peformance parts.. like the cheap stuff you pickup when you want to rice out your car....

Mostly import parts and cheap crap like Razo...

not worth wasting your money imho.

If you want to go cheap, just have some muffler shop weld up some pipes... probably last longer too.

I tend to agree with you. As you can see from my original post I was searching for a set of used Kooks headers when I can across these. What I know is that 304 stainless steel isn't cheap regardless of where they are made. It would be nice to know the tubing dia. and gauge 304 s.s. they are made from. Unless they are just paper thin it still seems like a helluva deal. They have 3/8 thick flanges and are definitely mandral bent. Unless they absolutely don't fit... I was hoping someone had some experience with them.
Scott
Old 2/4/07, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
you may right on the thickness of the tubeing or lack of it. They do look like a good set of headers for the money. They may be worth a try.
It does say
(Don't settle for the cheaper headers on eBay which are known to crack over time due to cheap welding, thin flanges, and very thin wall thickness)

and the guy does have great feedback
Old 2/4/07, 08:10 PM
Cobra R Member

OBX racing makes lots of parts for imports. I only know this because my daily drivers are imports (they last longer/more reliable ), and I occasionally look for things to do to them.

As for quality: I'm honestly not sure. I don't think that they are as cheap of quality as 06GT said, but I also don't think that they are excellent quality either. I think that they are just a good alternative to the expensive stuff, which may be perfect for you.

Since they are 304 SS, they aren't "crap" material, but the fabrication/fitment/etc. may be. So, my suggestion would be to search import forums , to see what people say about them. Sorry I can't help more.
Old 2/4/07, 09:42 PM
Former Vendor

There's a place in China, I think called Kinpower Trading Company, and theres another one called something Rubbers, LLC. These are two major companies that provide all of your stainless exhaust systems and rubber 5 ply silicon couplers, intercoolers, etc. for all of the "cheaper" companies out there.

These are the same as "megan racing" stuff, I believe. They're not bad quality, or anything. They really are stainless, and they really are a good deal. It just seems to good to be true when you purchase the stuff.

For THIS PARTICULAR application, who knows if they fit. I know people who've bought the civic headers, etc. and have no problems. Use American gaskets if you're going to buy them, though. Companies like this USUALLY crap out on the gaskets, but who knows.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/5/07, 11:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Was looking around on fleabay for a set of Kooks used headers for cheap(yeah right) and came across these. I have never heard of OBX but you have to admit that at $395 for longtubes and H-pipes plus $32 bucks shipping on 304 s.s. headers ain't bad. I paid more than this for my offroad Mac Prochamber. Anyone have any experience with these...good or bad? It doesn't say what size the primary tubing is and are those resonators in the H-pipe?
Scott

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...ayphotohosting
Scott, I seen these Long Tubes posted on ebay! 4 weeks ago ! sent the dude selling them some email questions never got a reply ! but he might have been busy, Beating the 12 year olds welding them up! for 12 cents a hour!
Old 2/5/07, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

WORK FASTER ****IT!
Old 2/6/07, 12:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Scott, I seen these Long Tubes posted on ebay! 4 weeks ago ! sent the dude selling them some email questions never got a reply ! but he might have been busy, Beating the 12 year olds welding them up! for 12 cents a hour!
It's interesting how perspectives differ. I used to have a 94 Supra Turbo. While I was having some work done at GReddy headquarters in Irvine, CA I saw a guy welding up 300ZX exhaust systems. I'm sure some customers would have been appalled to learn that their expensive "imported" exhaust systems were built in the US.
Old 2/6/07, 02:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I saw these before and were tempted to try them out just to see, but other projects got in the way. I dont care where it comes from long as it mounts up well... someone slap some jet hot on them and try them out
Old 2/6/07, 07:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 65sohc
It's interesting how perspectives differ. I used to have a 94 Supra Turbo. While I was having some work done at GReddy headquarters in Irvine, CA I saw a guy welding up 300ZX exhaust systems. I'm sure some customers would have been appalled to learn that their expensive "imported" exhaust systems were built in the US.
It is interesting how perspectives differ! considering that Japan has had a higher standard of living than the US for over twenty years! and I'm sure just as many customers would have been happy to see there imported cars creating American jobs!

Originally Posted by Shaun81
I saw these before and were tempted to try them out just to see, but other projects got in the way. I don't care where it comes from long as it mounts up well... someone slap some jet hot on them and try them out
I do care where the products I buy are made ! and when possible I buy American made! or at least from a country that has some basic consideration for human rights !
Old 2/6/07, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I dont really like it either but its the way the world is 95% of everything you buy is made in china and other places. Cant really be helped when its so much cheaper producing due to cheap labor. Ive been laid off more then one factory job due to outsourcing. Anyway kind of off topic
Old 2/6/07, 05:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Guys,
We could start a whole new thread about the USA shipping their manufacturing and tooling builds to other countries. I have had to personally deal with this for 15 years and it is getting worst every day. I am a tool & die maker by trade and presently plant manager of a shop for the last 12 years. All I can say is these headers are not built in Japan. They were the cheap labor place back in the 80's. They are to high dollar now. As we all know everything is built in China... well guess what... tooling and products are now moving out of China and going to Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, and places I have never heard of. I have seen tooling that has come from China for 15 years and in the early 90's it was junk for sure. But... I will tell you that most of the stuff coming from there now is very good quality stuff. They have caught up with us and in some cases past us up... so don't knock it until you have looked at it... seriously. Trust me... I am a "Built in the USA" kind of guy. All the way. But as most I buy by my pocket book. We have alot of opinions about their quality but from no one with real experience yet. I needed to whine too. Back to topic. Are these really junk?????????
Scott
Old 2/6/07, 05:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You buy them, I'll help you install them!

Well, in the springtime atleast.

Quick Reply: OBX longtube headers???????