GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

OBX Headers, Street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/08, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX Headers, Street legal?

I read some of the threads on the SS OBX LT Headers and X-pipe, I just wanted to know if the resonators are actually cats, and will the car pass inspection with the rear O2's deleated. I just want to make sure that my car will pass inspection without problems before I order.

You guys that are running them, how are they holding up, and how is the under hood temp. with the stainless steel compaired to the ceramic coated?
Old 3/19/08, 12:34 PM

Mine are holding up great. I haven't really noticed any difference in the underhood temps since the install.

The cats are definately resonators and not a true cat, and there are no provisions in the pipe for rear O2's. However you should easily be able to fix that in the tune you will need for the longtubes anyway. If you have an actual visual inspection, I doubt the emission station would even notice the lack of rear O2's.
Old 3/19/08, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also have the OBX longtubes. I agree that they are holding up just great so far with no issues. But they have no cats, or rear O2 sensors and are NOT emission friendly. You will not pass a test.
Scott
Old 3/19/08, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I also have the OBX longtubes. I agree that they are holding up just great so far with no issues. But they have no cats, or rear O2 sensors and are NOT emission friendly. You will not pass a test.
Scott
In IL all we do is go to the emissions station and they hook up to the OBDII port. No MIL means pass. They used to check under the car for cats, but they don't even do that anymore. It really depends on how your state does the emission testing as to whether or not you will pass.
Old 3/19/08, 01:37 PM

Houston does the emissions check just like Tragik said. They plug into the OBDII port and no errors means you pass. However, without the rear O2s or even with them turned off in the tune the operator will get an error and you won't pass. I plan to get my O2s turned on in my tune and get MIL eliminators before I need an emissions inspection (not until Apr 09). I have been TOLD that this will work, but I have not found anyone who has done this and can confirm it will work. That's why I have not done LTs yet. It's not too bad to swap the H-pipe once a year, but swapping LTs once a year is out of the question!
Old 3/19/08, 01:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Tragik
In IL all we do is go to the emissions station and they hook up to the OBDII port. No MIL means pass. They used to check under the car for cats, but they don't even do that anymore. It really depends on how your state does the emission testing as to whether or not you will pass.

Well I am not sure you would still pass or not. Since the rear O2 sensor do not exist and are turned off in the tune my understanding is when they do an OBDll port check you will get a "rear O2 sensors not ready" code or alert and for that I understand you will not pass. So I have been told.
Old 3/19/08, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, fast replys!
Here in Houston, I think they check like 5-10 things on the computer, and if you fail 3 or more of the checks then you fail the test. Don't take my word on this, this is just what I think they do because on my 2001 silverado I fail 2 test. I think one was the O2's (I had the rears deleated in my tune) and the other I think had to do with the fuel system, he asked if I had the computer cleared lately. I told him yes I cleared it after I changed my TPS cause it threw a code. He said "OK, If you failed one more you would have failed emitions." He thought I failed them because those two take time to reset after clearing the computer.
With the front O2's before the resonators and the rears deleated, I would think it would pass. And the resonators do look alittle like cats in the pictures.
Sorry if I'm rambling on, I'm just trying to convince myself.
Old 3/19/08, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been down this road already. Here's what I've learned: if your tune has the rear O2s turned off, the computer will fail an OBDII test because it will declare "not ready for test". If you load a tune that turns the rear O2s on, you better have a factory exhaust or you'll quickly end up with codes and a glowing check engine light. The solution is a set of the MIL elliminators installed between the rear O2s and the harness. They trick the computer into thinking the cats are working just like on a factory setup.
Old 3/19/08, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Scott
Originally Posted by Keystone
I've been down this road already. Here's what I've learned: if your tune has the rear O2s turned off, the computer will fail an OBDII test because it will declare "not ready for test". If you load a tune that turns the rear O2s on, you better have a factory exhaust or you'll quickly end up with codes and a glowing check engine light. The solution is a set of the MIL elliminators installed between the rear O2s and the harness. They trick the computer into thinking the cats are working just like on a factory setup.
I just called my local tuner. He pretty much said the same thing. A set of MIL elims will solve the problem. Even if you have to get bungs welded in the midpipe and put your rear O2's thats gonna cost like what? 25.00?? Hell just hook up the O2's the MIL Elims and ziptie them up somewhere out of the way. Should work fine.
Old 3/19/08, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

My wife's uncle is a welder, I bet he would drill the holes and weld on the bungs for a 12 pack so I could put the O2's and a set of MIL elims in! Thanks for your help!

Last question, on most LT and X-pipe setups (like BBK, Bassani, or any other brand) would you need to use the MIL elims to pass emitions? Or is there a system that is emissions legal?
Old 3/19/08, 05:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have bbk's with a catted x and i do not need the MIL elim's

pretty much you need them if your getting rid of the cats....
Old 3/19/08, 05:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i have bbk's with a catted x and i do not need the MIL elim's

pretty much you need them if your getting rid of the cats....

So are you saying that the BBK's have bungs for the front and rear O2 sensors? I would like to see a picture of them. Because unless the front O2's are before the cats and the rears are after the cats it would never work. And is your rear O2 sensors active in your latest tune?? Never seen this before with longtubes of any manufacturer. Can you expand at little for us?
Thanks Scott
Old 3/19/08, 05:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yes, the bbk's catted x pipe has sensor bungs before and after the cats....

my 02 sensors are active... i would be able to pass an inspection with my tune and setup.

i will see if i have a photo of it for you guys

Last edited by n8rfastback; 3/20/08 at 03:53 PM. Reason: oops
Old 3/19/08, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

here you can see the bungs directly after the cats... and the others are before them.

and the headers just for reference:
Old 3/19/08, 05:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i cant remember exactly... but the upstream bungs are either right on the headers or right at the beginning of the x pipe just out of view...

i think they are on the headers...

slam man has the exact same setup..
Old 3/19/08, 05:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=462296

heres his thread on his install and what not
Old 3/19/08, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ah ha!

here you go

Old 3/19/08, 05:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

thats weird....

hey 70Mach

you were the first one to respond in his thread.. lol
Old 3/19/08, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
thats weird....

hey 70Mach

you were the first one to respond in his thread.. lol

Well you did a great job of proving my point wrong!! I can see that the O2 sensors in the BBK's are before and after the cats like they should be. And that is impressive....my next question is are they billed as being EMISSIONS LEGAL? And are both the front and rear O2 sensors active in your tune? Inquiring minds want to know!! And you might want to edit your earlier post where you said "OBX" headers
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/19/08 at 06:26 PM.
Old 3/19/08, 10:23 PM
GT Member

wow....why not just take one of the two h-pipes it comes with and weld in two magnaflow catslike these..
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

then add two o2 bungs behind them.sure it costs 2-300 bucs, but it will pass when u want it to.then swap back to the off road pipe when you are done.

Last edited by giddy_up; 3/20/08 at 02:52 AM.

Quick Reply: OBX Headers, Street legal?