OBX header owners in here please

Search this Thread

Old 12/23/07, 04:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
1 5/8. I measured Aircare84's.
Scott
If I plan on going FI, will the 1 3/4 headers be that much better?
Old 12/23/07, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
If I plan on going FI, will the 1 3/4 headers be that much better?
If you were going for an all out race set up where every peak hp counted - maybe.

However, my car will be making around 600whp, and 1 5/8 will be just fine. No doubt I could make a couple more hp on the top end with 1-3/4, but it's not worth nearly $1,000.00.

On the plus side, the 1-5/8 will give you better low end, so it's a trade off. Save your money, and give these some consideration.
Old 12/23/07, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by exgto
If you were going for an all out race set up where every peak hp counted - maybe.

However, my car will be making around 600whp, and 1 5/8 will be just fine. No doubt I could make a couple more hp on the top end with 1-3/4, but it's not worth nearly $1,000.00.

On the plus side, the 1-5/8 will give you better low end, so it's a trade off. Save your money, and give these some consideration.

+1!!!!!
Old 12/23/07, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by exgto

Yeah. I just talked to my bud about it and he had the same thoughts as you.

We did a little calculation and even though the 1 3/4 flowed 16% more cubic ft., the added torque down low will be great.
Old 12/23/07, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I also forgot, but how do the OBX headers last in the long run? Do they fracture after running through some heat cycles?
Old 12/24/07, 03:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
I also forgot, but how do the OBX headers last in the long run? Do they fracture after running through some heat cycles?

Not sure they have been on the market that long for anyone to answer that question. I can tell you from seeing them first hand that the welds are top quality. Only time will tell.
Scott
Old 12/24/07, 06:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CantWin1
Man...Aircare84, you're making me second guess myself on which H to use. I've got GTA's for mufflers. Any thoughts on what the difference in sound would be between the resonator pipes vs the straight thru's?? I want it loud enough to 'show off', but so loud I wake everyone up on my way to work. I drive about 2 miles thru residential neighborhoods to get to work at 5 in the morning. Suppose I could start with the resonators, then plan one day to switch just to expirement.....Hmmmm
John,
If you haven't finished the install, I'd recommend the straight-thru H.You'll be suprised how quiet it is with the GTA's, until you open it up.Those little resonators actually do a very good job. I'll be installing the straight-thru H on mine after the first of the year.
Old 12/24/07, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure they have been on the market that long for anyone to answer that question. I can tell you from seeing them first hand that the welds are top quality. Only time will tell.
Scott

These would definitely be a possibility for me if they past that test. I'm shopping for performance on a budget and it kind of sucks.
Old 12/29/07, 05:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok, I'll also be on board with this mod. The OBX L/T kit you buy off ebay contains both straight H pipes(off road) and one with resonators? I'm confused. And besides a tuner, and the extenders the entire kit is complete. Nothing else is needed?
Old 12/29/07, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Sure looks that way... and $450 for everything?
Old 12/30/07, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Ok, I'll also be on board with this mod. The OBX L/T kit you buy off ebay contains both straight H pipes(off road) and one with resonators? I'm confused. And besides a tuner, and the extenders the entire kit is complete. Nothing else is needed?

The OBX headers come complete. All you need for sure is O2 extenders and an updated tune. They also do not come with any fastners but you can use the stock studs and nuts. I did purchase locking header bolts but they are not required. Mine are scheduled for delivery on 1/2
Scott
Old 12/30/07, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like a fantastic deal then at $450... Scott are you still going to try to find a way to manipulate your prochamber instead of the H that comes with the OBX?
Old 12/30/07, 11:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Larmo
Sounds like a fantastic deal then at $450... Scott are you still going to try to find a way to manipulate your prochamber instead of the H that comes with the OBX?

I am sure my Mac prochamber will not mate to the OBX longtubes easily. But I do intend to have a prochamber as part of my exhaust system. But what I will do is custom build a prochamber box onto the OBX h-pipe. Being a toolmaker and working at a shop has some advantages. I have already found the required 304 SS and with the waterjet at work it will be a piece of cake. However, in a few weeks I will be putting my used Mac offroad prochamber up for sale. It in great shape. PM me if anyone is interested.
Scott
Old 12/30/07, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Scott, I may be interested in your Prochamber........ I call first dibs please.
Old 12/30/07, 11:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Scott, I may be interested in your Prochamber........ I call first dibs please.

Ha Ha!!! Well... that is like only the last possible exhaust system you could ever try on your car. You could truely be the only person on this board that could say you've tried them all. However, I think you would like the sound of a Prochamber!!
Scott
Old 12/30/07, 01:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Let me know when you're ready to do your headers.
Old 12/30/07, 03:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The OBX headers come complete. All you need for sure is O2 extenders and an updated tune. They also do not come with any fastners but you can use the stock studs and nuts. I did purchase locking header bolts but they are not required. Mine are scheduled for delivery on 1/2
Scott
Sounds good. I almost bought them last night. I had to walk away. I need to recoup from my Holiday mod spendings! You are using the straight through pipes I imagine? What mufflers you going to run?
Old 12/30/07, 03:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds good. I almost bought them last night. I had to walk away. I need to recoup from my Holiday mod spendings! You are using the straight through pipes I imagine? What mufflers you going to run?

I will use the straight thru pipes but I am going to custom build a prochamber box on it also. I will run the pipe with the resonator on it until I am done. I have been running a Mac Prochamber for over a year and love the tone it gives. I am running GTA's and will stick with them!
Scott
Old 12/30/07, 09:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I will use the straight thru pipes but I am going to custom build a prochamber box on it also. I will run the pipe with the resonator on it until I am done. I have been running a Mac Prochamber for over a year and love the tone it gives. I am running GTA's and will stick with them!
Scott

Good deal let us know how it goes. Pictures, pictures, pictures and more impressions of the entire system out of box.
Old 1/1/08, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Good deal let us know how it goes. Pictures, pictures, pictures and more impressions of the entire system out of box.

Sure will Jonathan,
I am supposed to receive my OBX headers tomorrow and I think Larry (Airecare84) is coming down on Saturday to help me with the install. I may just start a new thread with pictures of these headers, the install, and how I custom build a prochamber box on the supplied H-pipe. It will take me a few weeks to get it done completely. But I will post plenty of pictures and vids of before and after.
Scott

Quick Reply: OBX header owners in here please