GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: OBX, Shorties and stock cats, or another option????
OBX and Pypes MM
70.37%
Shorties, stock cats, and Pypes MM
7.41%
Another cost effective option.... please advise!
22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

OBX, do it or not????

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/08, 04:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBX, do it or not????

ok guys, im doing exhaust as soon as i get my tax money back.....

my question is: with all the hype about headers and what not, should i get the OBX setup?

How long can i expect them to hold up? i plan to keep the car a long time...
anyone with these have ANY complaints yet?
I can get them ceramic coated around here for a decent price... should i???

the price is right... I am going to get the pypes mm setup for sure, and i was thinking while i was at it i may as well get the obx lt's and install them too....
i could have the entire exhaust done for $750 and thats hard to beat... most other companies want like 600 just for headers

i wont mind them being loud without the cats... loud exhaust does not bother me. i am running lt's with flowmaster 40's on my 65 289 and love the sound of it...

the other option i was thinking was to keep the stock h pipe, and get shorty headers.... from what i have researched the stock cats flow just fine for this car, and then i wouldnt ever have to worry about emissions testing too. they dont do it here in iowa or nebraska, but one less thing to worry about....

so full exhaust, or the MM's and shorties???

any other opinions out there worth trying???? i wouldnt mind spending about 800 or 850 on the whole deal when its done and over, but being able to do it all for 750 is extremely tempting!!!

what do you guys think????
Old 1/26/08, 06:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're gonna bother getting headers get long tubes. They sound better and will get you more hp than shorties. I don't like the sound of pypes stuff personally and haven't used obx. But definently go longtubes, worth the extra.
Old 1/26/08, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The LT's & MM system will be loud. I only ran it for 1 week. It felt like I was driving a Harley. If loud is what you're after, then that setup would be for you.
Otherwise, I'd suggest the MM system with the stock H & cats. It was still loud, but sounded good.
Old 1/26/08, 07:27 PM
GT Member

i have long tubes, hi flow catted X, and the mid muffler system and i honestly dont think its loud at all (it could be cause its not fully broken in) but i can make the system softer than when i just had stingers and when i get on it, its LOUD but not obnoxious. but sound is entirely a subjective thing so...

if you are concerned about the obx brand headers not lasting i would maybe offer up another option of waiting and getting higher quality brand name headers and the mid muffler system

heres mine the day i got it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8S5_sUu5K8
Old 1/26/08, 07:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

man those arh's sound badass!!!!

i could wait and get a set of quality brand name tubes later on... im just really anxious!

how much are the arh lt's?
Old 1/26/08, 09:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I went with MAC L/Ts and O/R Prochamber. There going on this week. I went with MAC over OBX only because I wanted the prochamber sound. Other then that I'd be another OBX owner.

I'll try and post sound clips somehow.
Old 1/26/08, 09:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

that sounds like a really good setup... i just dont have the cash to fork it out right now... would the obx's mate to the o/r prochamber... i really like the design and the sound of it
Old 1/26/08, 10:33 PM
GT Member

the arh lt's w/ catted x was 1335, definitely not cheap. but i think it was worth every penny and very significant hp gains. the off road version would obviously be cheaper.

this setup seems to get deeper everyday
Old 1/26/08, 11:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
that sounds like a really good setup... i just dont have the cash to fork it out right now... would the obx's mate to the o/r prochamber... i really like the design and the sound of it
From what I've heard no. It would take some fab work to mate which is why i just went with the mac lts. It really wasnt that much more then the obx system. PM me
Old 1/26/08, 11:26 PM
Cobra Member

no complaints here with OBX. great quality, fit perfectly. best deal out there imho.
Old 1/26/08, 11:39 PM
Cobra Member

I got my JBA Titaniums LT's with the Catted H for 900 shipped and they are workin out awesome!
Definately go for longtubes!
Old 1/26/08, 11:55 PM
GT Member

keep in mind that the mac headers arent true long tubes, they are slightly shorter, more of a mid length header
Old 1/27/08, 06:53 AM
Cobra Member

If you do get headers, get longtubes. are you looking to make it sound better or more performance
Old 1/27/08, 07:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i want sound and performance... loudness doesnt really bother me.

hp gains are really not that big a deal right now... im looking for that classic stang sound though and i have heard the MM is the way to go. plus it looks good too

the reason i say the hp gains are not a big deal is cause i know the gains are minimal
Old 1/28/08, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RFLgtcs
i have long tubes, hi flow catted X, and the mid muffler system and i honestly dont think its loud at all (it could be cause its not fully broken in) but i can make the system softer than when i just had stingers and when i get on it, its LOUD but not obnoxious. but sound is entirely a subjective thing so...

if you are concerned about the obx brand headers not lasting i would maybe offer up another option of waiting and getting higher quality brand name headers and the mid muffler system

heres mine the day i got it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8S5_sUu5K8
Woah that system sounds strangely familiar! ;-) Nice!

Oh and to the OP, go LTs you won't be disappointed!
Old 1/28/08, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i want sound and performance... loudness doesnt really bother me.

hp gains are really not that big a deal right now... im looking for that classic stang sound though and i have heard the MM is the way to go. plus it looks good too

the reason i say the hp gains are not a big deal is cause i know the gains are minimal
If you're trying to duplicate the older Mustangs 'muscle car sound' the LT's & mid-muffler setup will not get you there. It was closer with just the mid-muffler system & factory cats & H-pipe. Adding the LT's & no cats just made it alot louder, changer the tone a bit as well. Kinda between a combination of a nascar & harley.

If you're not looking for horsepower gains, I'd recommend you buy & install the mid muffler setup first. You might be happy with that alone.
Old 1/28/08, 04:23 PM
GT Member

Woah that system sounds strangely familiar! ;-) Nice!
i wonder why? lol
Old 1/28/08, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I should be the last one to tell you what kind of exhaust to put on your car since I have changed mine more often in the last 2 years than my underwear. However, I can tell you the OBX headers are a good bang for the buck at $480.00 shipped. They fit great and are 304 ss. Just my .02$
Scott
Old 1/28/08, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

man this is a hard decision.....

i could also go with the BBK ceramic shorties and get the prochamber kit that keeps the stock cats.... not too expensive either.

i think i wanna keep the cats since i hate the raspy sound that O/R x pipes makes, and aftermarket cats are rediculously expensive....

hmmmm man this is a pain
Old 1/30/08, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

no other opinions?

Quick Reply: OBX, do it or not????