GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Not to rehash the IRS vs SRA

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/06, 03:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shifty @ February 25, 2006, 2:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don't even start the "your car is slower so bow down to everything faster" crap. I'm sorry I'm only 18 and I don't have thousands of dollars to drop on my car. I will be running 11's by the end of the month which looks a lot faster than you seem to be running.

I've got a vid of a single turbo streetable cobra running 7.97.

http://www.racingsouthwest.com/~buffhomer/Keenan797.wmv

Why don't you stop running your mouth for all your "friends" and let them speak for themselves huh? Stop being a fan boy.
[/b][/quote]

So you have no timeslips and you are calling cars that run 8s dyno queens? See the irony? You knock other cars and say they are "dyno queens", but retort that you will be running 11s by the end of the month. Sounds like a classic case of an internet racer to me. I am not a fan boy, but rather a car enthusiast. I don't care if it's a Toyota, Honda, Chevy, or Ford. A 8 second car gets respect from me. The only fan boy in here is you and an ignorant one at that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 25, 2006, 2:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Here is another one on a C5 from the corvette forums this week.
You are the one who is claiming it's a myth.
I don't see anyone else taking your side

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread...al&forum_id=103
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=1461
It's just a common a problem for every vehicle driven down a dragstrip.
It is simply more common for IRS equipped vehicles because the components are more fragile.
The rear axle on my Mustang GT is also used on an F150 pickup.
Try installing the rear end of a Vette in a silverado. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
The problem is the WHEEL HOP not the horsepower. Production cars use soft bushings such as rubber or hydraulic filled mounts which can lead to wheelhop which can cause disasterous results.
It is obvious that anyone building a 1000+HP car is not driving on factory suspension.
[/b][/quote]

The myth is that IRS rears are bad for drag racing. I know about the LG motorsports brace and the hardened output shaft for C5s. Lou Gigliotti is probably one of the most knowledgable tuners of Vettes and is an asset in terms of suspension mods. He does drive a C6 in Speed World Challenge. I almost bought an 00 FRC Vette about a year before my 05. There are plenty of IRS cars driven down the track without problems. Every car has it's share of problems, even our beloved Mustangs. I can dig up failures on this very forum, from blown diffs to bad clutches at the strip. You are very correct that wheel hop is the root of IRS failure. Just ask the CTS-V guys. That's why people whom drag race upgrade the bushings and add bracing to prevent wheel hop from damaging the rear end. Kind of like we add upper and lower control arms to prevent wheel hop, thus achieving a better 60'.
Old 2/25/06, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 25, 2006, 4:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So you have no timeslips and you are calling cars that run 8s dyno queens? See the irony? You knock other cars and say they are "dyno queens", but retort that you will be running 11s by the end of the month. Sounds like a classic case of an internet racer to me. I am not a fan boy, but rather a car enthusiast. I don't care if it's a Toyota, Honda, Chevy, or Ford. A 8 second car gets respect from me. The only fan boy in here is you and an ignorant one at that.
[/b][/quote]

Fan boy of what? I'm not the uneducated bum who's running my mouth about other people's cars. I think it's time for you to stop swinging from other guys nuts. It's pretty comon knowledge that supra's are dyno queens. Even import people will admit that. They don't have 1/4 times that are suitable for the amount of power they are putting down. Now if we're talking about roll racing, yeah I'd love to have a supra. Supra's don't even handle that well considering they have IRS.

And on me not having timeslips, the last time I ran my car I only had exhaust+tune. I need to take a trip to the track, I know.
Old 2/25/06, 03:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shifty @ February 25, 2006, 4:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Fan boy of what? I'm not the uneducated bum who's running my mouth about other people's cars. I think it's time for you to stop swinging from other guys nuts. It's pretty comon knowledge that supra's are dyno queens. Even import people will admit that. They don't have 1/4 times that are suitable for the amount of power they are putting down. Now if we're talking about roll racing, yeah I'd love to have a supra. Supra's don't even handle that well considering they have IRS.

And on me not having timeslips, the last time I ran my car I only had exhaust+tune. I need to take a trip to the track, I know.
[/b][/quote]

You obviously have a distaste for Supras. It's common knowledge on other boards that Mustang's are peices of Junk and driven by rednecks. Keed making generalizations, you are as bad as the people whom make that statement. Better yet, how about you call Supra owners on a Supra forum dyno queens. I am sure they will roll out the welcome mat. So you have no timeslips, say your car will be in the 11s, and have the nerve to call a car that runs 8's on video a dyno queen. Supras don't handle well?? You are making yourself look more ignorant with every post. Next, you are going to say Vettes don't handle well. Your logic is very poor, stay in school kid. Uneducated Bum, nice shot there. I can see that I am dealing with a child whom has to resort to personal insults when they are wrong. Just for your knowledge I hold a BS in Marketing and am working on my masters.
Old 2/25/06, 04:05 PM
Cobra Member

I've read posts on the GTO forums of people wanting to get a SRA because of wheel hop issues at the strip and because of increasing power, no one seems to think thats a goofy idea.

IRS is better for road racing, I don't think anyone will argue that. The Mustang seems to hold it's own quite well with the SRA but I'm sure hard core enthusiast of road racing would like to upgrade to IRS. Where as the majority of Mustangers will do fine with the SRA set up and most seem to enjoy drag racing where the SRA is more suited and a better option than IRS. Especially for high horespower aplications.
Old 2/25/06, 04:07 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 25, 2006, 5:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I can dig up failures on this very forum, from blown diffs to bad clutches at the strip.
[/b][/quote]
I myself have a clutch that requires replacement but it isn't due to a design problem.
I'm the idiot who tried to do a dry burnout on 11" wide drag radials.
I will not claim that the Mustang has a poor clutch design because of what I did to it.
I cannot recall any failiures attributed to drag racing a stock mustang running on street tires.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 25, 2006, 5:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The myth is that IRS rears are bad for drag racing. I know about the LG motorsports brace and the hardened output shaft for C5s. Lou Gigliotti is probably one of the most knowledgable tuners of Vettes and is an asset in terms of suspension mods. He does drive a C6 in Speed World Challenge. I almost bought an 00 FRC Vette about a year before my 05. There are plenty of IRS cars driven down the track without problems. Every car has it's share of problems, even our beloved Mustangs. You are very correct that wheel hop is the root of IRS failure. Just ask the CTS-V guys. That's why people whom drag race upgrade the bushings and add bracing to prevent wheel hop from damaging the rear end. Kind of like we add upper and lower control arms to prevent wheel hop, thus achieving a better 60'.
[/b][/quote]
When you called the IRS of the Cobra a poor design i didn't argue.
When I called the IRS of the Vette which has the same problems a poor design you claim it's a myth.
Why would you call it a poor design on the Cobra but not on the Corvette since they share the same weaknesses? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
When companies are making braces for both these cars it is obvious that there is an inherent weakness in both.

The only common thread in both these designs is that they are IRS.
This would bring most people to the conclusion that a SRA is better than an IRS for drag racing.

I must leave for the evening so we can pick up on this discussion tomorrow if you like .
It is obvious that neither one will concede the other is correct though so the whole excercise is pointless. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Good Night
Old 2/25/06, 04:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 25, 2006, 5:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

When you called the IRS of the Cobra a poor design i didn't argue.
When I called the IRS of the Vette which has the same problems a poor design you claim it's a myth.
Why would you call it a poor design on the Cobra but not on the Corvette since they share the same weaknesses? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
When companies are making braces for both these cars it is obvious that there is an inherent weakness in both.

The only common thread in both these designs is that they are IRS.
This would bring most people to the conclusion that a SRA is better than an IRS for drag racing.

I must leave for the evening so we can pick up on this discussion tomorrow if you like .
It is obvious that neither one will concede the other is correct though so the whole excercise is pointless. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]

Good Night
[/b][/quote]

The SN95 chassis wasn't designed for an IRS, hence why we both agree it's a poor design. The weakness that you bring up isn't a problem that a majority of Vettes have. You are making it seem like it's a really common problem. Companies make braces for our SRA too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img] I never stated that SRA isn't better at the track, rather isn't IRS isn't bad like everyone makes it seem. You are correct this is pointless. Have a good one.
Old 2/25/06, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 25, 2006, 4:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Uneducated Bum[/b][/quote]

Word filter got me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 25, 2006, 4:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Just for your knowledge I hold a BS in Marketing and am working on my masters.
[/b][/quote]

Wow. Congratulations you're mediocre. Digging pretty deep to try and impress me huh?
Old 2/25/06, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shifty @ February 25, 2006, 5:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Word filter got me.

Wow. Congratulations you're mediocre. Digging pretty deep to try and impress me huh?
[/b][/quote]

Mediocre? Your actions show your age, have fun in high school. I wasn't trying to impress you and don't care to. Rather I was showing that you aren't very intelligent to make comments about someones education over the internet. I love it when people are wrong and have nothing pertinent to say. The last resort is insults.
Old 2/25/06, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

So wait, you're calling me stupid for insulting you? Isn't that exactly what you're doing to me? Does the word hypocrite mean anything to you? I don't have the time for ethugs who have to bring their college career into car arguments. How pathetic is that? You might want to rethink your life if you have to prove your worth to an 18 year old on the internet.
Old 2/25/06, 04:58 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Boys...settle down...back on topic...and no personal attacks please....

You can debate with some maturity...
No name calling and such.
Old 2/25/06, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shifty @ February 25, 2006, 5:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Fan boy of what? I'm not the uneducated bum who's running my mouth about other people's cars.
...It's pretty comon knowledge that supra's are dyno queens. Even import people will admit that. They don't have 1/4 times that are suitable for the amount of power they are putting down.[/b][/quote]
You're shooting your mouth off about Supras quite a bit.
Ask your friends if they know a guy with the last name of "Ten" and what he's done in the past with a Supra.
Old 2/25/06, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shifty @ February 25, 2006, 5:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So wait, you're calling me stupid for insulting you? Isn't that exactly what you're doing to me? Does the word hypocrite mean anything to you? I don't have the time for ethugs who have to bring their college career into car arguments. How pathetic is that? You might want to rethink your life if you have to prove your worth to an 18 year old on the internet.
[/b][/quote]

For an 18 year old your memory is poor. You resorted to the personal insults calling me an "uneducated bum". That statment show's a lack of intelligence(or deductive reasoning) since you have no clue what my educational background is, is that hard to fathom? At 18, you might be a college freshman, but likely still in HS. Hmm, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see whom is more educated. Again, you brought intelligence into this(automotive) arguement in the quote above. Like I stated earlier, you had nothing pertinent to bring to this conversation, hence the personal attacks. Welcome to the land of ignore.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ February 25, 2006, 6:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Boys...settle down...back on topic...and no personal attacks please....

You can debate with some maturity...
No name calling and such.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry about that. I can debate with maturity, but my counterpart can't. Sorry I should have followed the golden rule: Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I am done, back on topic.
Old 2/25/06, 05:15 PM
GT Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] I got a bit out of this thread anyways.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

I want a new Vette !!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/25/06, 05:37 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks like another topic that needs to be sent to the cleaners.......
Old 2/25/06, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

okay so nothing is solved here yet. lets make this very easy
Top Fuels,Funny Cars and ProStocks do not use IRS systems.
Indy cars and F1 do.
what does that say about the two different types of racing?
they require different suspensions.
yes you could theoretically put an IRS in a Top Fuel and run 5.00 but they run 4.40's with a SRA system.
same goes for F1 a solid axle would perform great with the level of technology they have at their disposal but that doesn't mean it's right for the application.
IRS=best for road race
SRA=best for drag race
beat a dead horse if you want to switch these around for the pleasure of having the fastest IRS twin turbo 1.847L black 97 supra on exxon 91 octane with 20" wheels and flashing strobe lights....but...
that means nothing.if you have a 2100lb car with 1200hp it better run well in the 7's no excuses as to well it's got stock axles or whatever. the bar has been set on both corners and in the straights. anyone with a minor bit of automotive knowledge knows this whether you are 18 or 60.
it's just apples and oranges guys nothing personal.
ford made the right decision on this car to stick with a SRA IMO. since a vast majority are going to to drag strip first. they learned from that fiasco with the 03-04 cobras which by the way never should have had an IRS.
Old 2/25/06, 06:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Food for thought: The Camaro and Challenger concepts both had IRS rears. If both go into production(which I've read both have been approved), the next gen Mustang will most likely have an IRS to match the competition.
Old 2/25/06, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 25, 2006, 6:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You resorted to the personal insults calling me an "uneducated bum". [/b][/quote]

I'm through arguing but I just want to say that I said something else but the word filter changed it to that. I get why you were talking about education now. Complete mistake lol.
Old 2/25/06, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/popcorn2.gif[/img] I knew that I started something I shouldn't have.
Old 2/25/06, 11:23 PM
Cobra Member

I think Thump_rrr is doing well here without my interference, game on boys game on. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

-Dan
Old 2/26/06, 05:26 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 25, 2006, 5:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You obviously have a distaste for Supras. It's common knowledge on other boards that Mustang's are peices of Junk and driven by rednecks. Keed making generalizations, you are as bad as the people whom make that statement. Better yet, how about you call Supra owners on a Supra forum dyno queens. I am sure they will roll out the welcome mat. So you have no timeslips, say your car will be in the 11s, and have the nerve to call a car that runs 8's on video a dyno queen. Supras don't handle well?? You are making yourself look more ignorant with every post. Next, you are going to say Vettes don't handle well. Your logic is very poor, stay in school kid. Uneducated Bum, nice shot there. I can see that I am dealing with a child whom has to resort to personal insults when they are wrong. Just for your knowledge I hold a BS in Marketing and am working on my masters.
[/b][/quote]

I somehow missed this post earlier so I'll reply now.

In your reply to shifty you write "It's common knowledge on other boards that Mustang's are peices[sic] of Junk and driven by rednecks."
In the next sentence you write "Keed[sic] making generalizations, you are as bad as the people whom[sic] make that statement."

Do you see the irony in those 2 statements?

You state that it's common knowledge that Mustangs are a piece of junk, implying that it's a widely held view.

Generalizations such as those are usually made by people who feel threatened by the success of the S197 not by current owners.
It's more like it's common knowledge that Ford hit a home run with the new Mustang selling out their whole production run.
The car has been so successful that the Chrysler and Chevrolet camps are trying to release retro versions of their own classics.
As for the quality of the new Mustangs,it has exceeded my expectations.
The modular 4.6L engine has been around since 92 and has had a good track record.
The interior and exterior fit and finish is excellent with good panel alignment and tight body gaps.
For the price and performance nothing compares to it.
So tell me then why do people who drive GTO's, 350Z's and Subaru WRX STI's still feel the need to compare their cars to the "piece of junk" mustangs which cost far less than their cars? Do they have inferiority complexes?

As for the redneck part I could just as easily say that Corvettes are driven by people with with male sexual enhancement issues but that would force me to stoop to your level of maturity.

PS. You state that you are working toward your masters degree. I hope you put a little more effort into your spelling and grammar at school.

Quick Reply: Not to rehash the IRS vs SRA