GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is this normal acceleration for a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/07, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal acceleration for a GT?

I have a 2007 GT vert. If I launch from a dead stop with traction control off - pull my foot off the clutch and hammer the gas I don't burn out. Is this normal for a GT and related to "throttle lag"? And with a tune and CAI would I be able to burn out without revving up the engine before launching?
Old 4/26/07, 11:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by First Stang
I have a 2007 GT vert. If I launch from a dead stop with traction control off - pull my foot off the clutch and hammer the gas I don't burn out. Is this normal for a GT and related to "throttle lag"? And with a tune and CAI would I be able to burn out without revving up the engine before launching?
Yea pretty much, especially if you have new(er) tires. Once u get a tune it is MUCH easier to spin the tires.
Old 4/26/07, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If you dump the clutch, you'll burn rubber for sure.

But, if you want to do this and this, get a BamaChips tune.
Old 4/26/07, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 on BAMA!!!!
Old 4/26/07, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

might be time for a new clutch ?
Old 4/26/07, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
If you dump the clutch, you'll burn rubber for sure.

But, if you want to do this and this, get a BamaChips tune.
TacoBill:

Could you explain dumping the clutch? I am just taking my foot off the clutch, not letting it slip. Is that dumping it or do you mean to rev the engine and then take my foot off the clutch?

I remember driving a Mustang GT 5.0 in the 80s and it spun out with no problem without revving the engine. Maybe the newer tires don't spin out as easy?
Old 4/26/07, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by First Stang
TacoBill:

Could you explain dumping the clutch? I am just taking my foot off the clutch, not letting it slip. Is that dumping it or do you mean to rev the engine and then take my foot off the clutch?

I remember driving a Mustang GT 5.0 in the 80s and it spun out with no problem without revving the engine. Maybe the newer tires don't spin out as easy?
Dumping it is just that, raise the rpm's a little (~3000+), then rapidly release the clutch pedal.

If you don't raise the rpm's (with a stock tune), it'll slightly bog, then chirp the tires.

The stock tires are pretty hard compound rubber (treadwear 400 on my 18's). They should spin pretty easily compared to a set of Nitto 555R's with a treadwear of 100.
Old 4/26/07, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Or, you could supercharge your car and burn rubber as you will. no need of clutch dumping )
Old 4/26/07, 01:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a completely different car and cannot be compared to any of the previous Mustangs. This car I've noticed from the beginning gets it's power to the ground MUCH better than previous models. My previous Cobra had lots of activity and theatrics when you nailed the gas from a standstill, and then quite a few more when you hit 2nd. This car just bites, digs in and takes off. NOT IN THE RAIN though. Don't ever floor a Mustang in the rain.

Old 4/26/07, 01:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
NOT IN THE RAIN though. Don't ever floor a Mustang in the rain.
LOL, unless you enjoy kicking the *** end completely sideways, which I just happen to do.
Old 4/26/07, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
This is a completely different car and cannot be compared to any of the previous Mustangs. This car I've noticed from the beginning gets it's power to the ground MUCH better than previous models. My previous Cobra had lots of activity and theatrics when you nailed the gas from a standstill, and then quite a few more when you hit 2nd. This car just bites, digs in and takes off. NOT IN THE RAIN though. Don't ever floor a Mustang in the rain.

I agree with the car sitting down and taking off with no wheel spin from a normal rpm. Almost surprised me that it didn't spin when I had to make a quick move to avoid an oncoming vehicle and I punched it while turning. I can spin the them going from 1st to 2nd at WOT so the power is there.
Old 4/26/07, 08:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got a Bamachips tune. With my automatic and TCS ON, I burn my tires if I nail it from idle. And I spin the tires with every WOT shift. The stock tune sucks.
Old 4/27/07, 01:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

your 5.0 might have had more torque? I was never really satisfied with the low end power of my 06 untill the supercharger was installed. (being used to a very torquey cammed and carbed chevy 350)
Old 4/27/07, 09:52 AM
GT Member

our cars are heavy compared to a fox body also.

tune, cai and fancy foot work will make tons of smoke.
Old 4/27/07, 10:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They also went from a 60/40 to a 52/48 bias. You should be able to launch without much or no spin from a sub 3k rpm launch. The more you spin, the slower you go.

You can always dump it for a burnout if you feel like it. For a normal smokie I just dump it from 4700 or so rpm, get on the brake and pedal it up to WOT and fluctuate as you like from there, usually so it burns in time with the music, wahhh wahhh wahhhhhhhh then let it run out, straight or let her hang out to the side a bit-your choice. Sometimes I like it tail-left but get it straight just as the tires hook up, about 75' out, and just shift to second and roll out as if nothing happened. La dee da, don't mind the cloud from the trunk...

Did you get the 3:55's?
Old 4/27/07, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
They also went from a 60/40 to a 52/48 bias. You should be able to launch without much or no spin from a sub 3k rpm launch. The more you spin, the slower you go.

You can always dump it for a burnout if you feel like it. For a normal smokie I just dump it from 4700 or so rpm, get on the brake and pedal it up to WOT and fluctuate as you like from there, usually so it burns in time with the music, wahhh wahhh wahhhhhhhh then let it run out, straight or let her hang out to the side a bit-your choice. Sometimes I like it tail-left but get it straight just as the tires hook up, about 75' out, and just shift to second and roll out as if nothing happened. La dee da, don't mind the cloud from the trunk...

Did you get the 3:55's?
I never checked actually but from what I understand all Canadian GT manuals are equipped with the 3:55's. Is there a label somwhere to check?
Old 4/27/07, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know too much about CDN cars, it might
Old 4/27/07, 12:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You'd have to check underneath...
I'm pretty sure there is a sticker that says 3.55 or 3.31 on the rear end.

If not on a hoist, try spinning your tire to see what gear is installed.
Old 4/27/07, 12:12 PM

Should have a decal on the rear differential cover that looks like this..

Old 4/28/07, 08:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Bill: Why is your cover shiny? My 07 GT has a black cover.

Wouldn't that heat the clutch up quite a lot?

Quick Reply: Is this normal acceleration for a GT?