GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Next Mods; How Far To Go???

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/17, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Next Mods; How Far To Go???

I'm sure a few of you guys have faced this dilemma. My '06 GT has most of the usual mods such as CAI, 4.10 gears, axle backs, MGW shifter, suspension mods, wheels, tires, some nice seats and a few other tweaks. It looks great, runs great, puts a smile on my face every drive.

I'm sorta at a threshold in terms of mods. The stuff I'd like to do now is pretty expensive. I'd like a 6 speed, big Brembos, cams, headers, maybe a blower......you know how it goes.

I'm at the point that I wonder should I just get another 'Stang? Maybe a new GT or perhaps a near new '15 or '16.

It's a happy problem to have but I'm vexed.
Old 7/10/17, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 05 and had the same thoughts. The new cars have more HP and obviously cost more to get. I prefer the s197 model's looks to the new ones, not that they are bad but I just like the old. I only had 3400 miles (yes, hundred) on my car and I replaced the engine/tranny/driveshaft/clutch/radiator to bring it up to current mods out there. I have 3 phases. That was one, suspension is 2 and Super Charged is 3. Now it just comes down to what you like on your car vs a new one and the fact that your current car is paid for. Best time to put more money in it and make it sort of a sleeper.
Old 7/10/17, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you thought about getting something other than a Mustang?
Old 7/11/17, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Good question. I was very interested in a C5 Corvette Z 06 for a while as their prices are currently quite low for the performance they offer. My enthusiasm for the Vette has cooled simply because I just can't "see myself" in a Corvette but that could change.
Old 7/13/17, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with harleybill. I love the look of my 06 GT Vert and can't see me dropping big bucks to get a new 15 - 17 GT. It's paid for so I modded it but from the inside out. New suspension, big brake kit, headers, Paxton Nuvi 1200 SC, carbon fiber hood and fenders, staggered 20" tires. Other cars pull up and want to play and I see the look on their face when I blow them away. It doesn't look fast but it's faster than a lot of cars out there.
Old 7/16/17, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
It's a lot cheaper to modify your car than buy a new one. You might say a blower and 6 speed and brakes and new rims to fit those brakes... that comes pretty close to a new GT after trade. But you know what's going to happen with that new S550. First it'll be tires, then rims, then a sway bar then the whole cycle starts over again.

If you do go the mod route, anyone will tell you bang for your buck go with a blower over cams. Most NSR cams like the FRPP hotrods people say are for the sound only because you only gain at high RPM (some people say you actually lose power down low). I ended up going the SPR route with Comp Cams Stage 1 and didn't gain any power below 3000 RPM (I didn't loose any either though) but I got a nice fat powerband from 3000 - 7000 RPM and gained ~60RWHP from my old intake+tune's 289 for a total 350. Nowhere near a blower's gains. All that said though, I still love my cams. Sounds mean, revs mean, drives like stock around town, and really sings once you get it in the powerband. Love the way it drives.
Old 7/20/17, 01:55 PM
GT Member

Cavero, you are spot on about "the whole cycle starts over again." Those of us born with the hot-rod gene can't ever seem to leave ANYTHING alone. I've been that way since my early teens with my bicycles, slot cars, then motorcycles, then cars, then firearms, and even guitars. It never stops, does it?

So I'm inclined to stick with my 197, make crazy expensive mods and have a nicely tricked out 11 year old 'Stang in beautiful condition and avoid the insurance and registration hit I'd take on a new GT.

Stop the cycle of abuse
Old 7/21/17, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I'm sure a few of you guys have faced this dilemma. My '06 GT has most of the usual mods such as CAI, 4.10 gears, axle backs, MGW shifter, suspension mods, wheels, tires, some nice seats and a few other tweaks. It looks great, runs great, puts a smile on my face every drive.

I'm sorta at a threshold in terms of mods. The stuff I'd like to do now is pretty expensive. I'd like a 6 speed, big Brembos, cams, headers, maybe a blower......you know how it goes.

I'm at the point that I wonder should I just get another 'Stang? Maybe a new GT or perhaps a near new '15 or '16.

It's a happy problem to have but I'm vexed.
What is your goal with the car? Where do you want to be at in terms of power or ET? That should be where you start, and then see what it will take to get there.
Old 7/27/17, 05:45 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
My enthusiasm for the Vette has cooled simply because I just can't "see myself" in a Corvette but that could change.
Same here.
I LOVE the C7 Z06 cars, but I don't think that's me. Plus, I'd have to have the Z07 package and that's a 100k car easily. (I saw a Long Beach Red C7 Z06 in the next town over from me last weekend while fueling up the truck after hitting the gym. I was glued to the car. Looked amazing. Beautiful car.)

Good luck with your choice going forward.

Last edited by Stage_3; 7/27/17 at 05:48 PM. Reason: text