GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

newbie to nitrous. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/11, 01:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie to nitrous. HELP

Im looking to nitrous for a cheep(er) way to get really good hp gains. Im looking at a 75 shot on my mostly stock 06 mustang gt (auto trans). I have a CAI, tuner, and BBK 62mm throttle body. I was also curious if you need forged internals(like pistons) to run nitrous? I use my car as a daily driver so I really cant ruin it. I was looking into this as a set up.
1. Zex Wet Injected Nitrous System
2. Zex Nitrous Dual Outlet Purge Kit
3. ZEX Nitrous Bottle Pressure Gauge
4. ZEX Traction Control Window Switch
5. ZEX Universal Programmable TPS Switch
6. Steeda Billet Charge Motion Control Plates
7. Ford Racing Boost Gauge
8. spark plugs? i think? if i need them?
all from americanmuscle.com
Anything else I need? thanks guys!
Old 2/13/11, 07:18 AM
Dez
GT Member

i dont know anything about nitrous really, but i dont think you need a boost gauge.
Old 2/13/11, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yikes you need to do a lot of reading. Ditch all the Zex stuff and go with a more reliable system. The Zex stuff is easy to install but that's about the only thing it has going for it. Shoot the guys at http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/ an email and have them piece together a system for you. Oh and you don't need the steeda plates or the boost gauge.
Old 2/13/11, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have not had a single problem with my zex kit. Your list looks good and ditch the boost guage. On a 75 hp shot you don't need forged internals. A zex wet kit is very reliable and user friendly. American muscle even made a YouTube video for install. I did mine in 2 hrs with beer breaks
Old 2/14/11, 02:55 PM
V6 Member

ok, i think this is a better list. What do you guys think? Also do I need a fuel pump? Do I need a dyno tune or can the guys at BAMA tuning(through Americanmuscle.com) tune this for me? If dyno tune is needed, then where can I go in the Chicagoland area?
6.Nitrous Outlet Ford 4.6L 3V Plate Conversion
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...0&product=3597

thanks again guys!
Old 2/14/11, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

also how safe is it? i see so many guys say its perfectly safe and so many others seem to be ruining there engines? It just seems too simple for such a big gain? Why isent everyone doing it?
Old 2/17/11, 02:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustangmike06
also how safe is it? i see so many guys say its perfectly safe and so many others seem to be ruining there engines? It just seems too simple for such a big gain? Why isent everyone doing it?
I would love to know this too.
Old 2/17/11, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's very safe if you know what you're doing. More people go the boost route because you don't have bottles to refill.
Old 2/18/11, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangmike06
ok, i think this is a better list. What do you guys think? Also do I need a fuel pump? Do I need a dyno tune or can the guys at BAMA tuning(through Americanmuscle.com) tune this for me? If dyno tune is needed, then where can I go in the Chicagoland area?
6.Nitrous Outlet Ford 4.6L 3V Plate Conversion
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...0&product=3597

thanks again guys!
I think that the wet kit, purge kit, pressure gauge for the bottle, window switch and TPS are exactly what you need. A Bama tune will be MORE than capable of handling this for you. If you plan on running a 75-100 shot or more, I would recommend going with the HT0 plugs, one step colder (stock gap is fine). We will hook you up with a more than safe tune that will get you every bit of advertised power from Zex and a ton of torque, too! I have a few people running our mail-order nitrous stuff all the way at 150 shot if you want I can get you in touch with plenty of people to discuss with, right here on the forums.

I would personally set the window switch from 3000-6000, and that will be perfect. 100 shot, HT0 plugs, with the Bama 91 or 93 Race tune... hold on!!

That should put you about 370RWHP and 420RWTQ or so...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/zex-mu...s-2005-gt.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/zex-ni...tle-gauge.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/zex-dual-purge-kit.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/zex-tr...ol-switch.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/zex-tps-switch.html

All in-stock for same-day free shipping!

Edit: also, the delete plates you first mentioned aren't NECESSARY, however they're not a bad idea at all. Those deletes will pick up a little bit of power. I have a brand new set of the old economy charge motion plates I'd sell for $50, personally.

Last edited by AMChrisRose; 2/18/11 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2/19/11, 12:28 AM

Hi Chris,

If those delete plates aren't spoken for I'd take them off your hands.

To the OP, I've been running the Zex kit @ a 75 shot for a while now with no issues on stock plugs. It is without a doubt the safest kit for a street car. I spray it every run at the local 1/8 mile track and on the street with no worries. If installed correctly it is perfectly safe for daily use. I purchased 3V0 plugs to up the shot to 125 for this year and have full confidence it will remain reliable and safe. People give the zex kit a bad name for two reasons. #1 it's hp rating is flywheel, not rear wheel like NX. #2 hardcore racers try to use it as a race kit and that's not it's purpose. All manufactured parts have a failure rate and yes the solenoids have become stuck in some cases. However, the Zex NMU will not spray if it senses anything less than optimal with the flow. If that happens just by another NMU and not a motor. Just get the supporting equipment to stay safe and have fun.
Old 2/19/11, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nitrous is perfectly safe when tuned properly. I spray meth to eliminate any possibility of detonation and allow for a bigger shot. When spraying nitrous DO NOT LOAD UP YOUR HIGH OCTANE TUNES. this will increase your risk of detonation. 87 octane tune with high octane in tank and 2 degrees retarded timing. I have been spraying a zex wet 100 shot with no timing retard but I went thru a 15lbs bottle testing and tuning to establish that my motor was compensating for the shot. I bought a meth kit as cheap insurance and in the plus side my intake is as clean as an operating room.
Old 2/20/11, 08:23 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to follow along. I'm in exact same boat. But my car is bone stock.
Went 14.0 at local track, I'd really like to do low 13's if possible.

Surprisingly the main problem was traction and not HP. But I know I'll need more HP once the tires are worked out.
Old 2/22/11, 12:26 AM
V6 Member

yea id def like to get thos plates. let me know
Old 2/22/11, 12:33 AM
V6 Member

Im still on the wall with the nitrous. I talked to a few mechanics and racers I know and they tell me my engine will just be a time bomb even with the right set up. Im def. looking at the 75 shot. Im just not sure what to do yet.
Old 2/22/11, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got customers about to hit 75,000 miles with heavy nitrous usage from atleast 20,000 miles and on. 125 shot. As long as it's tuned right (call me! LOL) and you have the right stuff, you'll never have an issue. The setup I sent you with stock plugs and 75 shot is MORE than safe. The setup I sent you with one step colder Autolite HT0 plugs and 100-125 shot is decently safe. 150 shot is getting out of the zone of "safe" and becoming dangerous... plus you're on the verge of maxing out your fuel pump. 175 shot is where you are in the danger zone, and you've already maxed out the stock fuel pump. So basically, 125 shot and down (preferably 75-100 shot) and you'll be just fine! I'd still get the HT0 plugs (stock gap out of the box).
Old 2/23/11, 08:21 PM
GT Member

What do people usually pay to have a bottle filled?

Where can you go to have a bottle filled?
Old 2/24/11, 12:36 AM
V6 Member

ive seen prices in the chicagoland area between 40 and 80 dollars, and it seems like major performance places fill them up. there arnt too many off them but there are around.
Old 2/24/11, 02:57 AM
GT Member

Thats not too bad. I wonder how fast a bottle gets used up on a DD with 75 or 100 shot. My wife asked me how safe have a bottle in the trunk would be in the event of an accident. That would be my holdup on something like this....can I feel safe with my wife or daughter driving the car if someone rear ends them with a full bottle in the trunk.
Old 2/24/11, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
Thats not too bad. I wonder how fast a bottle gets used up on a DD with 75 or 100 shot. My wife asked me how safe have a bottle in the trunk would be in the event of an accident. That would be my holdup on something like this....can I feel safe with my wife or daughter driving the car if someone rear ends them with a full bottle in the trunk.
That's what blow down tube is for
Old 2/24/11, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

what he said! ^

Quick Reply: newbie to nitrous. HELP