GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Newbie Needs info

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/05, 02:22 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*IF* I get my 05 mustang (c/u) and am interested in helping the horse power a little bit by changing the Air intake to one of those cool funnel looking things. Cold Air Intake is what it's called? CAI for short?

Also maybe putting on an aftermarket exhaust.

Although I have worked on 64 VW Bug and 68 Mustang Coupe, I have never tried making any changes to "modern" cars. What do I need to know about this stuff?

What I have gathered so far is that if you get a CAI that you have to change the programming in the computer chip. I assume this is for changing the richness of the fuel mix? Also, it looks like you may have to start using 97 octane fuel if you do this? I read one review that said that the CAI system reviewed couldn't have very cold air because the air filter had a metal cowling around it that heated up. This hold any water?

Listen, I'm a computer programmer but changing the computer programming of my car makes me VERY nervous. Mainly because I know that when you makes mistakes you can break things (ever break a CRT monitor by sending it graphic frequencies it can't handle?). Also, on the old cars I've worked on you really had to work HARD to break something bad. But I can imagine making settings to my car computer that would rev the engine too high. So...anyway.....that stuff makes me nervous.

I'm also interested in some aftermarket pipes. I'm looking for a little more open exhaust to possibly help the HP and a good sound. I guess I'm mainly looking for recommendations on that front.

Finally, my overall goal is not to make some hoped up racer but just to boost my daily driver a little bit so that it's a little better than stock (if I could reach 300HP delivered to the wheels with some reasonable purchases I would be thrilled).

Maybe I just need a K&N filter since I'm not real serious......anyway.....can you guys edumicate me?
Old 4/25/05, 02:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure the CAI I would recommend would be the JLT or the C&L both come with a handheld reprogrammer spefically design for them. You can down load additional progams if you add say headers. They usally come with more than one tune say one for 83 ocatane one for 87 octane one for 93 or whatever. You should get 12 to 30 extra horses the greater is for the higher octane. A underdrive pulley setup from Steeda with that and if you have a standard you should be real close or past 300rwhp.
Old 4/25/05, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Greywolf@April 25, 2005, 3:34 PM
Sure the CAI I would recommend would be the JLT or the C&L both come with a handheld reprogrammer spefically design for them. You can down load additional progams if you add say headers. They usally come with more than one tune say one for 83 ocatane one for 87 octane one for 93 or whatever. You should get 12 to 30 extra horses the greater is for the higher octane. A underdrive pulley setup from Steeda with that and if you have a standard you should be real close or past 300rwhp.
OK....I just got lost. What is an underdrive pulley? Man...I feel stupid for asking because I should probably know...but I don't.

EDIT: Ok...I just looked it up. It a pulley for the belt system. I understand how the belt system can reduce the HP that the engine delivers but what I don't understand is how simply changing a pulley can increase the HP? Is the pulley made of some lightweight material that doesn't take as much force to turn?
Old 4/25/05, 03:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

They are the pullies that run your accesories off of your serpentine belt it slow them down a little therby cause less parasitic engine loss allowing more of the power to go to the rear wheels.
Old 4/25/05, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Xader, there are a number of good threads on the CAI, underdrives and other mods. You can use the "Search" button at the top of the forum and put in the key words Ex. ( CAI) Good luck :usa:
Old 4/25/05, 06:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Personally I like the C&L/DiabloSport Predator combo. Both companies are top notch and from my experience have good customer service. The techs at DiabloSport spent a while with me making sure a problem I had got resolved.