GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

New Mods question

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/05, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the new GT three weeks ago. Got it on the X Plan so saved some on the deal. Now to spend it. Already have new wheels, tires and stripes. Would like to change out exhaust system and get a CAI. What do others have and what are they happy with. Looking at Bassani or MAC to change our entire system from back of headers to tips. Also looking at K&N, C&L, MAC or JLT for CAI. Trying to keep in under $1800. Need to hold some back for new Hurst shifter when they come out. Thanks.
Old 5/1/05, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by btrokc@May 1, 2005, 5:59 PM
Got the new GT three weeks ago. Got it on the X Plan so saved some on the deal. Now to spend it. Already have new wheels, tires and stripes. Would like to change out exhaust system and get a CAI. What do others have and what are they happy with. Looking at Bassani or MAC to change our entire system from back of headers to tips. Also looking at K&N, C&L, MAC or JLT for CAI. Trying to keep in under $1800. Need to hold some back for new Hurst shifter when they come out. Thanks.
the stock mufflers (if you are ok with the sound) will flow fine up to about 450 HP, so if you dont care about improving sound dont worry about changing them, otherwise if you are price conscious go with the SLP loudmouth axleback (great flow as they are wide open) this will set you back $224.00 shipped

as for the CAI again if you are price conscious i would go with the mac straight shot since it is about $150 and is almost exactly identical to the steeda CAI but $100 cheeper.

also remove the HC trap from the intake tube (search the forums for this)

a tuner (SCT or DiabloSport Predator) is essential to make the most power and safely add certain mods and can be purchased for around 330-350 bucks

the steeda short throw shifter has actually been one of my favorite additions as it gets rid of the awkward 2-3 shift which is due to the squishy rubber bushings that ford uses for the shifter, but if you don want to go with the steeda shifter at least buy their bushing kit for like $30, it will be a huge improvement in shifting feel over stock.

mak performance makes an offroad x pipe that is simple to install and will eliminate the cats and net you some extra power for about $250 on ebay (not mac performance but maK performance)

tall gears (3.73, 4.10's)....this will be about a $600 hit, but in my opinion well worth it, this is a cheap way to improve performance since it will put that modular moter right in the power band more quickly and improve acceleration. this improvement should be well thought out since it can have a great impact on day to day driveability. if you do alot of highway driving and have a manual tranny i would suggest nothing bigger than a 4.10, if it is an auto than i would not go past 3.73 this is due to the fact that your rpm's at cruising speed (70-80) will be higher (depending on the final drive ratio it can be anywhere from 300-1000 rpms higher depending on the gear) so choose wisely.

headers....
if you are gonna invest in headers make sure that your local emissions will allow it, and make sure you get equal length tube headers that are of good quality. buying cheap headers will usually result in poor fitting, warping, valve burning nightmares. shorty headers generally are not worth the hassle for the little bit of HP they afford you, and unequal length headers dont flow as good as equal length ones. so if you get headers get long tube, equal length, high quality headers and consider having a collector made as well.

also remember the following:

horsepower sells cars, torque wins races
-Caroll Shelby

hope this helps.
Old 5/2/05, 07:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What, you are not interested in Maganflow or MMR CAI? Too bad, I am really happy with what I've got.
Old 5/2/05, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

I wasnt saying not to consider others, but was just outlining the least expensive/most bang for the buck mods. I like what you have too, in fact i believe the adrenalin car may be my favorite 05 stang to date.

just my view on the budget minded mod strategy thats all.....

Old 5/2/05, 11:01 AM

I have 4.30 gears and I run right at 3000 rpm @ 80mph. I actually went from stock gears to 4.10's to 4.30's.
Stainless Works has some very nice- long tube headers, equal length. I have these as well as the full 3" exhaust-offroad. The SCT has the bugs worked out. As far as I read, Diablo is always updating programs still. Steeda's CAI does cost a bit more, but works great.
Old 5/2/05, 11:14 AM
FR500 Member

I'd get some MAC long tube headers and a MAC Pro Chamber (off-road if your state doesn't do emissions). That's what I'll be getting as soon as I can afford the money to get them. And although I am very happy with my Magnaflow exhaust, if you are gonna get MAC headers and Pro Chamber, might as well get their exhaust too. A full MAC exhaust system including long tube headers, Pro Chamber and cat-back exhaust would cost you about $1300 at partshopper.com (not including shipping) and will add a lot of HP and an awesome sound for a decent price.

As for as CAI, I am also happy with my MMR intake (and they will be coming out with a straight high-flow inlet tube soon) but you could go with just about anyone there. Just do some research here on prices and gains.
Old 5/2/05, 07:31 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@May 2, 2005, 12:17 PM
I'd get some MAC long tube headers and a MAC Pro Chamber (off-road if your state doesn't do emissions). That's what I'll be getting as soon as I can afford the money to get them. And although I am very happy with my Magnaflow exhaust, if you are gonna get MAC headers and Pro Chamber, might as well get their exhaust too. A full MAC exhaust system including long tube headers, Pro Chamber and cat-back exhaust would cost you about $1300 at partshopper.com (not including shipping) and will add a lot of HP and an awesome sound for a decent price.

As for as CAI, I am also happy with my MMR intake (and they will be coming out with a straight high-flow inlet tube soon) but you could go with just about anyone there. Just do some research here on prices and gains.
Old 5/2/05, 09:40 PM

I'm going to be getting my stang here soon and i am wondering about the effects of the underdrive pullies from Steeda. Are they worth the money? I will be getting a CAI at the same time, as well as a tuner. Are the pullies worth the price or should it go to something else?
Old 5/4/05, 06:47 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@May 2, 2005, 12:17 PM

Thanks to all for the advice and posts. Decided to go with full Bassani system and hold off on the CAI for now. Will let all know how the system comes out.