GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need more traction!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/08, 06:33 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Need more traction!!!

Well after yesterday, a couple kills, and really taking it up into the rpm's at wot I realized I need more traction. By the time I hit 4.5k in first the tires break loose and i have to shift to second. On certain surfaces the tires will break loose in second. Any ideas other than putting drags in the rear or getting wider wheels. I was thinking about getting some sticker tires, I have nitto nt555's right now, are there better tires than these as far as grip Maybe relocation brackets Any ideas would be appreciated! I know I still have to adjust to the new power but I am just curious. Adam at ST is emailing me my dyno sheet and i think I have more power than I thought . Thanks

Oh yeah Kills-
-Turbo'd 350z- not a chance
-BMW Z4 ( I know big deal)
- Evo ( not really a kill but this is the short story) By the time I could even hit 3k in first this mother had like a lenght and a half on me. While we were sitting there waiting for the light to change I could here him bouncing it off the rev limiter. He at least took off at 4k. When the light turned green he just shot out in front and it was like i wasn't even movin, I was annoyed to say the least. I caught him by the time I hit third but just as I was gonna pass he hooked a left, figures. I know the guy and he is pushin more boost than stock. I wish we could take off like those dam AWD!!! I got him before the light though from a 40mph roll and easily had 2 lenghts before I pulled out. Well thats my story and i'm stickn to it!

-Adam
Old 1/21/08, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto DRs are good tires. They won't last long though, about 15k miles.
Old 1/21/08, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dropped my tire pressure down to around 23psi and it helps. Tires probably won't last as long, but I do get slightly better traction. These are Michelin pilot sports. I was considering a softer compound street tire that has a lower life expectancy if you know what I mean. Some tires just have a harder compound like my Michelins.
Old 1/21/08, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea try lowering the tire pressure. You might want to look into an adjustable upper third link to adjust your pinion angle. Are you saying launching at 4500 you lose traction or after you have traction and are accelerating to 4500 in 1st they break loose?
Old 1/21/08, 08:25 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
I dropped my tire pressure down to around 23psi and it helps. Tires probably won't last as long, but I do get slightly better traction. These are Michelin pilot sports. I was considering a softer compound street tire that has a lower life expectancy if you know what I mean. Some tires just have a harder compound like my Michelins.
Did you just drop in in the rears?
Old 1/21/08, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
Yea you wouldn't lower the pressure in the front.
Old 1/21/08, 08:40 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
relocation brackets - yes
Old 1/22/08, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
relocation brackets - yes
My exact thought since the car is lowered, need to raise the rear instant center to reduce rear end squat and improve weight transfer to the rear wheels. That will help, but stickier tires will too.
Old 1/22/08, 08:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
My exact thought since the car is lowered, need to raise the rear instant center to reduce rear end squat and improve weight transfer to the rear wheels. That will help, but stickier tires will too.
Relocation brackets won't lower the rear right?
Old 1/23/08, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I just dropped the pressure in the rear tires. I can't wait till summer to see how it goes with warmer tires and streets. Maybe 23 lbs will be decent....for street of course.
Old 1/23/08, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, they just relocate the LCAs back to the same positon as before you lowered the car. I have them, and I do think they help with traction. I'm also having my 4.10s changed to 3.73s tonight. IMO, the 4.10s are too low a gear for a blown car. At WOT, I don't have much traction at all until I hit 3rd gear. (With street tires)
Old 1/23/08, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo ( not really a kill but this is the short story) By the time I could even hit 3k in first this mother had like a lenght and a half on me. While we were sitting there waiting for the light to change I could here him bouncing it off the rev limiter. He at least took off at 4k. When the light turned green he just shot out in front and it was like i wasn't even movin, I was annoyed to say the least. I caught him by the time I hit third but just as I was gonna pass he hooked a left, figures. I know the guy and he is pushin more boost than stock. I wish we could take off like those dam AWD!!! I got him before the light though from a 40mph roll and easily had 2 lenghts before I pulled out. Well thats my story and i'm stickn to it!
I have had the same problem with EVO's and WRX's, I allways have to chase them down. I usually catch them around the 1/8th mile (****es them off). I guess if you had raced him at the track he couldn't have turned off.

RACING ON PUBLIC ROADS IS EXTREMELY............STUPID!!
Old 1/23/08, 05:18 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tacbear
I have had the same problem with EVO's and WRX's, I allways have to chase them down. I usually catch them around the 1/8th mile (****es them off). I guess if you had raced him at the track he couldn't have turned off.

RACING ON PUBLIC ROADS IS EXTREMELY............STUPID!!
Keep your STUPID comments to yourself I know!! , but anyways this was a road back in the boonies. Nobody was around but maybe a few cows.
Old 1/23/08, 05:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Keep your STUPID comments to yourself!! , but anyways this was a road back in the boonies. Nobody was around but maybe a few cows.

I work about half of my fatal crashes on back roads in the boonies! Some times the bodies are intact enough for the mom or dad to identify them, sometimes they are not. They allways ask me why it happened to their son or daughter. How do you answer that? I guess they just have to look at the yaw marks where the striation lines indicate over 100 mph and they figure it out their self.
Old 1/23/08, 05:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I work about half of my fatal crashes on back roads in the boonies! Some times the bodies are intact enough for the mom or dad to identify them, sometimes they are not. They allways ask me why it happened to their son or daughter. How do you answer that? I guess they just have to look at the yaw marks where the striation lines indicate over 100 mph and they figure it out their self.

Some people are idiots when they street race, I don't race up to 100mph!!! Maybe i'll take it to third but thats it on the street. People are gonna do it no matter what. Its like smoking or drinking, people know that some day it can kill them but they do it because they like it. Nothing is safe about street racing, I know. You can rant and rave all you want because iI have heard it a million times. If some dude pulls up next to me at a light reving his engine and there is nobody around i'm goin for it, if im on the freeway and that camaro pulls up next to me, i'm droppin it to third!!!
Old 1/23/08, 06:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Some people are idiots when they street race, I don't race up to 100mph!!! Maybe i'll take it to third but thats it on the street. People are gonna do it no matter what. Its like smoking or drinking, people know that some day it can kill them but they do it because they like it. Nothing is safe about street racing, I know. You can rant and rave all you want because iI have heard it a million times. If some dude pulls up next to me at a light reving his engine and there is nobody around i'm goin for it, if im on the freeway and that camaro pulls up next to me, i'm droppin it to third!!!
Exactly. Just getting out of bed could kill you. Just so long as you use some common sense it's all good.
Old 1/23/08, 07:41 PM
Cobra Member

Just the rear anchor for the LCA
Old 1/23/08, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

If some dude pulls up next to me at a light reving his engine and there is nobody around i'm goin for it, if im on the freeway and that camaro pulls up next to me, i'm droppin it to third!!!
Just like the children in winged Civics
Old 1/23/08, 10:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Just like the children in winged Civics
You got me there