GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need help w/FRPP GTA muffler install

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/07, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help w/FRPP GTA muffler install

Hi Everyone... I just installed the FRPP GTA mufflers (Thanks Ninosport) but I am having an issue. The muffler on the passenger side wont go in all the way. I didnt notice how far out it was until I say the driver side on. Well I used everything I can think of but I cant get the passenger side to go in any further. Wierd thing is when looking at both from beneath the car. Only one (passenger side) has the written info facing down. Anyone else who has installed these mufflers, have u noticed the same thing? I wonder if I got a defective set and I cant call the vendor because its Sat and its almost 7pm here on the east coast. Any help or opinions would be really appreciated. Should I take it to a local muffler show and have them try and fix this?? The passanger side is about a good inch to inch and a half further out then the driver side and the driver side actually wont go any further out because of the placement of the clamp. So I dont know if its the passenger side or the driver side that's not made the way its suppose to. Grrr this is getting frustrating
Old 3/31/07, 05:13 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loosen the clamp where the over axle pipe connects to the h-pipe and you should be able to slide the over axle pipe in or out to match the other side. You may have to loosen both sides and pull one muffler out and push the other in to get the tips to look right. It's also a good idea to have someone line up the tips while you're under the car. Not necessary, I did my muffler installs alone, but it makes it easier.

And the written side will be up on one and down on the other.
Old 3/31/07, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

i did loosen the clamp.. it doesnt get any looser.. i forced the crud out of that passenger side muffler it its not bodging. I even sprayed it w/ some WD 40 and its not going in any more. I wonder if a cut a small piece of the axle pipe if that would help. I really dont want to take it to a muffler shop cause they are gonna rape w/labor charges I'm sure.
Old 3/31/07, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by superman112
i did loosen the clamp.. it doesnt get any looser.. i forced the crud out of that passenger side muffler it its not bodging. I even sprayed it w/ some WD 40 and its not going in any more. I wonder if a cut a small piece of the axle pipe if that would help. I really dont want to take it to a muffler shop cause they are gonna rape w/labor charges I'm sure.
You definitely loosened the mid-pipe to H-pipe clamp? Not the clamp at the muffler/over-axle pipe...
Old 3/31/07, 09:20 PM

there are small pins from the factory on the over the axle pipe that were used to position the muffler that may be keeping it from sliding on further. Might want to grind them off.
Old 3/31/07, 10:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boss 302
there are small pins from the factory on the over the axle pipe that were used to position the muffler that may be keeping it from sliding on further. Might want to grind them off.
Yes, get rid of those guide pins!!.........Look at my avatar, GTA's all the way!!
Old 3/31/07, 11:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll look into gringing those pins off.. I was also thinking maybe I can gring the inside of the axle pipe to, maybe make it a easier fit. Lucky for me I have my trusty Dremel!! HA HA. I must say the tips of the GTA's are NICE! Best o all no DRONE!!!! it was nice to actually here my ipod why driving. Even the idle sounds sweet. Cant wait to get those cams installed. Bet my baby will sound even better then!
Old 4/1/07, 09:21 AM
GT Member

The passenger side sticks out a bit more with my set as well, but not as much, maybe 1/4", doesn't bother me since it's barely noticeable, so I left it as is. And the guiding pin is not in the way.
Old 4/1/07, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

yeah I just spent the moring cut off bits of the axle piping.. it looks better but one (the passenger side) is still about 1/4 inch out more then the other. I ran out of cutting wheels for my dremel so I'm gonna go get more but I have had enough for today. Its sunday and I dont want to spend it on the ground under the car. Gonna go see Blades of glory....
Old 4/1/07, 09:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by superman112
I'll look into gringing those pins off.. I was also thinking maybe I can gring the inside of the axle pipe to, maybe make it a easier fit. Lucky for me I have my trusty Dremel!! HA HA. I must say the tips of the GTA's are NICE! Best o all no DRONE!!!! it was nice to actually here my ipod why driving. Even the idle sounds sweet. Cant wait to get those cams installed. Bet my baby will sound even better then!
There's no need to dremmel out the inside of the pipe,they should slip right on.I installed the FRPP X-pipe along with GTA's and it really sounds great.And no drone at cruizing speed.