GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

need help - mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help - mod questions

hello all. i've had a Tungsten 2006 GT ("Gladys") since last november, and i'm finally getting around to modding it. i came into a little money recently that my wife has no clue about and thought hmmm.... this might be a good time for some mods!

i have a few questions so if you don't mind helping an amateur out i appreciate it.

1. will my wife be able to notice flowmasters? i'm not telling her i'm doing this stuff, do you think i can get away with adding flows and her not notice it? sidebar-she hasn't ridden in my car for about 2 months and probably won't ride in my car for another 5 months or so. so do you think i could pull it off or will she notice basically right away? btw she knows nothing about cars and couldn't care less about them.

2. do i need new shocks to go along with an eibach pro kit? i want to lower my car for looks and a little better handling. i'm never going to take it to the track so the idea is to have a car that will out do a stock gt, but i'm not looking to build a racecar. i read somewhere that i need to have tokico d-specs if i want the ride to be tolerable, but i don't want to spend like $800 just on the shocks. is the ride comfort going to be awful with stock shocks and eibach springs??

3. where do you plug in a tuner? i'm thinking about doing the CAI and tuner myself, but where the hell do you plug it in? i didn't order the optional usb port upgrade on my '06.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8/2/06, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

1. Depends on how observant she is. The sound will be a louder outside the car and slightly louder inside and the tailpipes will be larger and shiny. The canisters are black but, they are not too visable. If your assesment of her about cars is correct she probably will not notice. Sounds like my wife she doesn't get all this modding stuff either.

2. I have the Steeda Sport Springs, with the stock tires and wheels the ride on mine didn't suffer to much. I have 18's on it now and it is alot stiffer. The shocks are not necessarily needed but, I wonder if they might help with the ride on mine. The camber will more than likely be far off that you need camber adjustments bolts. Mine did with the Steeda Springs and they lower the car less then the Eibach's.

3. The port is just under the dash and left of the steering column.
Old 8/2/06, 12:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Ben said
Old 8/2/06, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks boys so does anyone have experience with the pro kit?
Old 8/2/06, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
DW- Let me chime in and keep your options open regarding lowering springs.

I have the Steeda Ultralite lowering springs. It lowers almost the same as the Sport springs, but offers a more compliant ride.

Mine dropped 7/8" in front and 1" in the rear.

No camber bolts were necessary, front alignment was brought back into specs. And, I'm using my stock dampeners too.

Oh, on questions #1 and #3, just go do it... I did!
Old 8/2/06, 03:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hell, I just got rid of the wife, I get whatever mods I want
Old 8/2/06, 04:33 PM
Cobra R Member

You sound like me, doing mods so the wife won't know. I did a bunch of suspension mods and a set of 4.10's and she did not know. Now exterior mods are different.
Old 8/2/06, 04:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My wife and your wives would all be very upset with you guys for "hiding" things from them. I usually like to tell her of it once I've ordered it or once it's already been delivered. I usually have to butter her up once she finds out. Then she let's it go and comments on if she likes or not. Which so far I haven't struck out on. So just buy it and deal with it when she finds out. That's my motto!

For example today I bought the sequentials,hood struts,mirror inserts, and the mgw pieces. Side note she gave me $150 today for being a good boy. So I'll tell her I got the sequentials, hood struts and mirror inserts. That comes out to about 300 so in reality I only spent $150. Now your thinking what about the mgw pieces well since that's on back order that won't show up for aleast another week. So I'll explain that when the time comes. So you see I spent about $400 today but she'll see it as I only spent $150 of my own money. And then next week she'll think I spent $100 on the mgw pieces. So you see it's all about how you present your spending.
Old 8/2/06, 05:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
... I usually have to butter her up once she finds out...

Just kidding, Leo! I don't know why we're sometimes spooked out by our wives.

Let's see, my wife saw me installing the H-Pipe yesterday... didn't say a thing.

Sequentials and my SCT tune will fly under her radar, so no problem there.

But, a few months ago, she gave me some grief on my billet fuel door. She said it looked like a pimp car!
Old 8/2/06, 05:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My Bad.

***Off topic***
I hope you don't mind that I used your sig format.
Old 8/2/06, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

my wife is super cool but i don't think she would understand buying a 28k car and then spending another 2-3 grand to mod it. what she doesn't know won't hurt her! :P

thanks for the tips guys!
Old 8/3/06, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sheesh... some of you guys need to grow a pair and quit letting your wives call the shots. Either that or get a wife like mine who likes drag racing and fast cars, and doesn't question any mods I do.
Old 8/3/06, 01:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, you sure got lucky...
Old 8/3/06, 05:22 AM
Cobra Member

wow.......... glad i got a girl that a: is into cars B:likes fast ones c:helps me work on my cars D:likes to race...........

my cars are my toys nothing will ever change that......she even want a 69 coupe for herself