GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need Advice....

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/07, 04:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice....

I'll be the first person who will admit I know a lot less about cars than probably 9/10 of you guys. So, I'm asking some advice.

I have an old friend who is a VERY succesful lawyer in Ner Orleans. We are supposed to race for money. I proposed a straight 1/4 with my GT/CS Twin turbo. At 625hp, he declined. My bet was 10K. He drives a Ferrari f430. He countered with a 50K bet with a 2.5 mile four lap race. I countered with a 20K bet, but not with my Pony, but with my GT (not the pony version). He declined. So, I am in the process of putting a turbo on my Mazda RX-8, alomg with other modifications to bring it up to 475hp (3K curb weight).

I would like to put this Italian puss out of his misery, but want input as to whether I can actually do it. I am a pretty good driver, and this RX-8 can take a 45mph 90 degree turn without as much as a squeek....

Input would be appreciated. Thanks.....
Old 6/15/07, 04:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well for that, I'd take his offer, then "Pit him" at the get go.

sry, me evil twin just got into me.
Old 6/15/07, 05:50 PM
Cobra R Member

I think I would but let me hold the moola till the race is over
Old 6/15/07, 06:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Put up or shut up!!! You got more guts or at least money than me!!!!!
Scott
Old 6/15/07, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Unless you are going to turbo charge the Mazda RX-8 anyway, I believe I would save the money on the mod and leave my 20K in the bank or invest it in some type of good investmen and leave the Ferrari F430 alone...

That is not to far from a F1 car in street clothes (it has common parts with the Enzo F1)... He has race car frame, race bread 483 hp engine with a 6 speed trans, tractor trailer size carbon-ceramic brakes that will stop it on a dime with change all day long and it weighs 3179 lbs.

Your Mazda might get 475 hp from turbo charging and only weigh 3K, but there's a lot more to making 4 laps on a track than that.. I think you are out of your class on this one. If he can afford $171,000 base price to start with, he can afford to modify his F430 as well as you can any of yours.

Save you money Dude... or I will be saying "I Told You So" when your pockets are 20K lighter.

Read this article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

I'm not sure I would have made that wager with the Ford GT. Would be a closer race.

Bobby M.
Old 6/15/07, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
How about you split the difference...... a $10,000 bet on the drag strip, and a $10,000 bet on the road course. And I'll broker and mediate the time, location, and security for a 5% commission plus travel expenses.
Old 6/15/07, 07:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MooStang05gt
Unless you are going to turbo charge the Mazda RX-8 anyway, I believe I would save the money on the mod and leave my 20K in the bank or invest it in some type of good investmen and leave the Ferrari F430 alone...

That is not to far from a F1 car in street clothes (it has common parts with the Enzo F1)... He has race car frame, race bread 483 hp engine with a 6 speed trans, tractor trailer size carbon-ceramic brakes that will stop it on a dime with change all day long and it weighs 3179 lbs.

Your Mazda might get 475 hp from turbo charging and only weigh 3K, but there's a lot more to making 4 laps on a track than that.. I think you are out of your class on this one. If he can afford $171,000 base price to start with, he can afford to modify his F430 as well as you can any of yours.

Save you money Dude... or I will be saying "I Told You So" when your pockets are 20K lighter.

Read this article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

I'm not sure I would have made that wager with the Ford GT. Would be a closer race.

Bobby M.
Agreed

Richard
Old 6/15/07, 11:08 PM
Bullitt Member

In a "more money than brains" issue, I think you should just cut a deck of cards for high card and give the cash to the high draw. Then race for the fun. The one that escapes the fuzz can bail the other out of jail..
Old 6/18/07, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

All of which mean nothing without a proper driver. Does your friend have a clue what he's doing? Road course regular or a typical lawyer with a fast car?
Old 6/18/07, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
All of which mean nothing without a proper driver. Does your friend have a clue what he's doing? Road course regular or a typical lawyer with a fast car?
Jake... the guy owns a Ferrari F430 and HE requested a four lap race on a road course... do you think he knows anything about how to handle a car on a road course..?? If he doesn't, then he deserves to lose his money...

I certainly wouldn't ask to participate in a money race in a type of race I wasn't familar with.. especially for that kind of money... Of course, I don't have that kind of money so it's a mute point...

As the old saying goes... IT MUST BE NICE TO HAVE MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS. No offense meant here..

Bobby M.
Old 6/18/07, 12:59 PM
FR500 Member

Sounds like a bunch of mastibatory fantasy to me
Old 6/18/07, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

He'd have to be a pretty terrible driver, I'd surmise, to lose to you in a road race. That Ferarri has so many gadgets keeping it straight, I'm guessing a monkey could drive it halfway decent.
Old 6/18/07, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jake... the guy owns a Ferrari F430 and HE requested a four lap race on a road course... do you think he knows anything about how to handle a car on a road course..?? And if he did, then he deserves to lose his money...

I certainly wouldn't ask to participate in a money race in a type of race I wasn't familar with

Bobby M.
That only means he's smart enough to know the road course is where the ferrari will even stand a chance. Knowing how to handle a car on a road course takes a lot of practice. Most Ferrari drivers have no clue whatsoever about racing lines and proper braking/accelerating/turning techniques. Driving experience in track racing is much more important than drag racing. Especially with exotics and higher hp cars.
Old 6/18/07, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you guys are loaded with $$$$$, Why not each buy a Shelby GT500 and demo derby them against one another.
Old 6/18/07, 04:02 PM
V6 Member

No, he's a good driver. He started the French Quarter Classic in New Orleans six years ago. This is a serious race for real money. Yes, he has all the advantages, but I am going to pour it into this RX-8 to get it ready. Its already a 50/50 car, so the turbo and meth injection, lowering the car, etc... Should be able to get it competitive....
Old 6/18/07, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by oulexicon
No, he's a good driver. He started the French Quarter Classic in New Orleans six years ago. This is a serious race for real money. Yes, he has all the advantages, but I am going to pour it into this RX-8 to get it ready. Its already a 50/50 car, so the turbo and meth injection, lowering the car, etc... Should be able to get it competitive....
Well, I personally believe you are going to need some serious LUCK to win the race.

You certainly have BIG kahunas, at least it's not for PINKS.

Bobby M.
Old 6/18/07, 07:54 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SixtySix
Sounds like a bunch of mastibatory fantasy to me
Well, the F430 gives this dago a boner.

Anyway - my advice is appreciate what you got, enjoy it, and unless you're going pro, don't spend money modding a car just to win a bet.
Old 6/22/07, 04:53 PM
V6 Member

He insisted in noproblem raceway in LA. Its a 1.8 mile 14 turn course. He trained there and held his Ferrari French Quarter Classic there last year. I turned him down. At first. He called my GT a " hand grenage" that would be "slow and dangerous". In other words, he's ****ing me off even more. I just sent him another email, and reduced the bet to 10K. If its his track, I'm not risking as much. My mechanic seems to think he can put together a 1000hp GT that will be totally reliable. My friend counters with a story of a dangerous car that has as much HP as a 500K formula one car. My mechanic thinks I can beat him in my Pony (with a few suspension mods), which is easily over 625hp. To make a long story short, I am running out of options on this, but desparately want to put him to bed. I looked at modifying a 2000 Modena 360, but that's not why I want to race him. I want to beat his little Italian sportscar with some American muscle. We are set to race in September, so I'll post what I can from now until then. I am sure I am up for a few blank checks until then... Blah...
Old 6/22/07, 05:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAN would I love to be there to see this race!!!! Good luck!!!
Old 6/22/07, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread is just "pudd pounding" I agree with Sixty Six. Call it what you want!

Quick Reply: Need Advice....