GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Nearly stranded by #$%@ Aftermarket Throttle Body!!! anyone have a stocker??

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/06, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nearly stranded by #$%@ Aftermarket Throttle Body!!! anyone have a stocker??

I was at the dyno today when I started getting some error codes, mainly P2112 and P2104, and the car wouldn't start. Well not knowing exactly what they were I knew they were TB codes so I thought they maybe related to the TPS TSB. So I called around and had a friend drive me 40 miles to the nearest open dealership to buy a TPS, $89. I installed the new TPS and it still did it.

I finally got it started another time after loading tune after tune thinking it maybe the tune. I brought it home, 70 miles away. After loading more tunes and trying the stock air box and such I could hear a clicking noise coming from the TB. It seems that the TB plates were stuck closed and causing this P2112 code, TB plate stuck closed. And the P2104 is " Forced Idle". I removed the TB and now I dont have one to go back on it as I gave mine to a friend when he installed his Vortech as his had a bolt broken off in it.

This is my last straw with these Aftermarket TB's, this was the LFP Billet Aluminum 62mm TB with the metal gears. Sure enough after removing it you can make it stick closed with ease. It never made any power but I had it fully polished on the outside and that was the reason I kept it. Guess now its a shiny paperwieght.

Anyone got a stock one they want to get rid of? I can't make it the Barber's event this weekend without one and there's no way I'm buying a new one.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/26/06, 08:39 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh s***!!!

**** man - I'd send ya one if I had one......

Someone will hook you up - you gotta make it this weekend.......
Old 8/26/06, 10:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

**** that sucks. i wish i could help you but my TB is screwed in addition to siliconed to the inlet port on my Kenne Bell S/C
Old 8/26/06, 11:27 PM
Cobra Member

go buy a GMS TB

-dan
Old 8/27/06, 03:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
go buy a GMS TB

-dan
Yeah definitely, I have been very happy with mine
Old 8/27/06, 07:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Doug,

You can have mine....I took it off and replaced it with the same LFP TB.
I snapped off one of the machine screws that had the loctite on them. I took it into a machine shop and they removed the snapped off screw, but they messed up the threads in the hole. It'll need some attention, like an insert put in to accept the cover's machine screw. I'm sure you could handle it and get it to work. The other holes, that hold the plastic cover on, are fine.

I have the same LFP TB on my car and did have the same codes pop up after about a month. I had to advance the spring one more click to get mine just right. It's been working good ever since. The instructions said to advance the spring until it engages. Well mine only need a 1/4 turn to engage. It worked fine for awhile but I think the spring may have stretched and needed just a little more tension. I advanced it another 1/2 turn and it's been working good ever since....I still wish I never bought the 'paper weight TB' either...it doesn't do anything for performance.

Let me know if you want my old TB....

hags1
Old 8/27/06, 08:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hags1
Doug,

You can have mine....I took it off and replaced it with the same LFP TB.
I snapped off one of the machine screws that had the loctite on them. I took it into a machine shop and they removed the snapped off screw, but they messed up the threads in the hole. It'll need some attention, like an insert put in to accept the cover's machine screw. I'm sure you could handle it and get it to work. The other holes, that hold the plastic cover on, are fine.

I have the same LFP TB on my car and did have the same codes pop up after about a month. I had to advance the spring one more click to get mine just right. It's been working good ever since. The instructions said to advance the spring until it engages. Well mine only need a 1/4 turn to engage. It worked fine for awhile but I think the spring may have stretched and needed just a little more tension. I advanced it another 1/2 turn and it's been working good ever since....I still wish I never bought the 'paper weight TB' either...it doesn't do anything for performance.

Let me know if you want my old TB....

hags1
Hello,

Yeah, its kinda funny because I never had an issue with mine but earlier this week I was helping someone install their Granetelli over the phone so I took mine apart and walked them through it, they had turned their spring clockwise instead of counter clockwise. But it didn't do it to me Friday night or anywhere on the drive down to the dyno but rather when I stopped and was trying to load new tunes.

I did remove the throttle cover and try and reqind the spring but only as much as normal. I may try and take it around another turn and see what that does. If not then I'll definatly take your old one, if you will please email me at BamaChips@gmail.com and I'll send you my address along with request what payment information you need. I'd like it overnighted US express mail if I could if I need it. I'll let you know by tonight.

Thanks!! Doug.
Old 8/27/06, 12:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Fixed it!!

All I had to do was install a STOCK THROTTLE BODY. I had a local guy who had his old one and wasn't interested in returning his to stock, yet. The issue was that the throttle plate would bind up when the bolts on the side of the throttle motor were installed. I tried loosening them up while it was on the car but still nothing. I tried lubing the electric motor with dielectric clear grease but still nothing. I installed a stock Tb and tightened the heck out of the bolts and the blades moved fine without any binding. Finally it fired right up and the codes went stayed off after clearing them.

I guess the housing that the TB motor sits in is deformed or warped somehow? Either way I'll not use nor recommend anyone use another one unless it is all a one peice casting like the stocker, I think the BBK is like that? Truly, the stock TB will be fine for me.

Thanks for your help and I hope this helps anyone else with these two codes, P2104 and P2112 .

Doug.
Old 8/27/06, 12:07 PM

Glad you're back up and running Doug. I personally know of many, many people making tons of power with the stock throttle body, and I'm firmly planted in the camp that believes that there is zero benefit from an aftermarket unit, and it seems they crap out more often than not.
Old 8/27/06, 12:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Yet another TB report to show it is all BS. Has anyone heard of a aftermarket TB that works? and gives some HP gain for the money??
Old 8/27/06, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Yet another TB report to show it is all BS. Has anyone heard of a aftermarket TB that works? and gives some HP gain for the money??
Well, I've had mine installed for awhile now, but I installed it at the same time I did my CAI, so I'm not sure how much of a difference just the t-body makes. Harley said he noticed a gain when he installed his t-body alone, which he did first, and I'd believe it. As far as it working, well yeah, I mean it opens up when I push the pedal down, it gets the engine what it needs when it needs it, and for me personally throttle response also increased. I have seen posts from other people that have said the same thing. So I don't know about other manufacturer's products, but so far the GMS t-body has worked for me, and I am completely happy with it. But I'm still holding on to my stock too.
Old 8/27/06, 06:23 PM

A good tune will virtually eliminate the throttle lag in the stock TB.
Old 8/27/06, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad you got it working Doug...
With my luck I'd probably have similar problems once I give up my stock TB...
Either way, the offer still stands if your local guy wants his back....

hags1
Old 8/28/06, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, I have the GMS t-body as well and have not had any problems with it (yet)....But you have given me consideration for thought and I will at least keep my stock one at the ready. There has been a lot of bad PR on these aftermarket T-body's so it sounds like good practice to keep the stocks, just in case.
Old 8/29/06, 08:18 AM

This is the reason why companies such as Accufab and BBK have yet to ship a throttle body for these vehicles. There appears to be too many variables that can effect the proper function of an aftermarket throttle body. Perhaps someday, someone will have a "sure fire" upgrade that does not have such issues, but the feedback that I have been receiving from customers has not been encouraging. And even when they try to go back to their stock throttle body, it does not fix the issue. Perhaps it has something to do with the TPS? Either they are not properly installing the TPS back on to the throttle body, or the TPS get damaged somehow. I do not know. I have (so far) avoided doing any testing on throttle bodies until someone can show me that there is one that works 100% of the time ...you know, like on most of the older vehicles...
Old 8/29/06, 12:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

hey doug, you think about buying at BBK T/B and seeing what that performs??

its funny because I was just browsing around on California Mustang to see what new stuff they had on and this came up.

http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-11323-25-0.html

and in there they write:

Note: The only time a person would need to re-flash is if they already have a custom tune.

any thoughts there Doug??
Old 8/29/06, 03:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-11323-25-0.html

and in there they write:

Note: The only time a person would need to re-flash is if they already have a custom tune.

-Dan
Old 10/29/06, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
why'd you get rid of the stock TB?
Old 10/29/06, 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
why'd you get rid of the stock TB?

He is a tuner.

Why'd you revive a 2 mo old thread?
Old 10/29/06, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Back from a long death....oh it's Holloweeneeeez

Quick Reply: Nearly stranded by #$%@ Aftermarket Throttle Body!!! anyone have a stocker??