GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

mystery chirping noise HELP

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/12, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mystery chirping noise HELP

ok, once the car warms up there is a chirping noise (it actually sounds like a cricket) eminating from the back half of the vehicle. the noise only exists while the car is rolling unless its very very slow, like less than 5mph. neither the brakes,the clutch, or the e brake have any bearing on the noise. after driving it long enough to get it squeaking, i jacked up the rear end, put it in 4th got it up to like 40 and put it in neutral and shut the car off. no noise...... -_- so now i understand that it only happens under a load. the noise only seems to intensify with rpms, not speed. which leads me to believe that its something to do with the driveshaft, like a u joint. i call to get a price on u joints, and there are none..... wft. anybody got a clue??
Old 9/3/12, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
ok, once the car warms up there is a chirping noise (it actually sounds like a cricket) eminating from the back half of the vehicle. the noise only exists while the car is rolling unless its very very slow, like less than 5mph. neither the brakes,the clutch, or the e brake have any bearing on the noise. after driving it long enough to get it squeaking, i jacked up the rear end, put it in 4th got it up to like 40 and put it in neutral and shut the car off. no noise...... -_- so now i understand that it only happens under a load. the noise only seems to intensify with rpms, not speed. which leads me to believe that its something to do with the driveshaft, like a u joint. i call to get a price on u joints, and there are none..... wft. anybody got a clue??
I had a similar noise that was actually coming from the exhaust clamp at the axle back. I tightened it but after a few days it would come back. I put lock tight on the bolts on both clamps, and it hasn't come back. Good luck, those noises are the worst cuz it's hard to figure out where they are coming from.
Old 9/3/12, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B1GP1MP1N

I had a similar noise that was actually coming from the exhaust clamp at the axle back. I tightened it but after a few days it would come back. I put lock tight on the bolts on both clamps, and it hasn't come back. Good luck, those noises are the worst cuz it's hard to figure out where they are coming from.
Yea I'm thinking that may be it. I recently added longtubes so hopefully it's just a clamp or hanger or something. Thanks for the input!
Old 9/10/12, 08:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak. This was mine with a cracked catalytic converter.

Best way is to get under the car and pinpoint it

Old 9/11/12, 05:49 AM
Banned

Thanks guys. Since I tightened the clamps she's hasn't *****ed a bit lol
Old 9/11/12, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
Thanks guys. Since I tightened the clamps she's hasn't *****ed a bit lol
Glad to hear you fixed it. Those noises can be a pain in the azz!