GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

My CDC Shaker system sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/06, 02:36 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleveland
it may suck a little air through the scoop but if you open up the stock box for the flat filter there is more sucking going on from that over the Shaker.

You could get a better functional result by removing all the ducting and allowing it to do nothing more than bringing in "cold air" over the motor at speed. The Shaker (with all the ducting hooked up) still loses power over stock, how is that "functional"?

-Dan
"Loses power over stock"? That's a good one.

Yeah, the Ford "consultants" in FL don't know much about anything, either.
Old 11/10/06, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

How can cold air from outside the engine bay be a bad thing?

It's better than those other "cold air" warm air intakes....
Old 11/10/06, 03:57 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwBOOST
How can cold air from outside the engine bay be a bad thing?
That's what I would think, too.
Old 11/10/06, 04:13 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe there was a thread around a long time ago where they showed the setup lost horsepower, but I believe that was on a stationary dyno

I would say just from an engineering standpoint the setup would gain some horsepower driving down the street, just from the nature of the system. The problem is the routing of the ducting doesn't allow the air to move as efficently as possible (lots of turns, going through a hot engine bay), that's why you won't gain much horsepower from anything other than potentially cooler air.

The best setup IMO would be a WMS intake with a 68 Shelby-Style hood. That would be the straightest path.
Old 11/10/06, 04:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie
I believe there was a thread around a long time ago where they showed the setup lost horsepower, but I believe that was on a stationary dyno
I still don' see how it would LOSE power, but a Stationary Dyno wouldn't show much increase, if any, on a RAM air system of any kind, at least I don't think so. The whole concept is to RAM AIR into the intake and it doesn't do that setting idle.
Originally Posted by Galaxie
I would say just from an engineering standpoint the setup would gain some horsepower driving down the street, just from the nature of the system. The problem is the routing of the ducting doesn't allow the air to move as efficiently as possible (lots of turns, going through a hot engine bay), that's why you won't gain much horsepower from anything other than potentially cooler air.
I never said it gained a LOT of HP just refuting Cleveland's claim that it is NOT functional.
So many Shaker haters all of a sudden
Old 11/10/06, 04:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
So many Shaker haters all of a sudden
Because I proved something so many doubted.
Old 11/10/06, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Just a quick thought regarding the routing or "plumbing" as I like to call it.....

I had an '04 Mach 1 which we all know had the factory shaker. The Ford experts including Scott Hoag, all claimed that it was beneficial at speeds over 80-85mph. My question is: has anyone really looked at the factory plumbing on the Mach 1's? When I owned one I thought there was NO WAY it would help at all. Owning this CDC system, even with it's funky plumbing, looks like it would work minimally as well as the Mach's. No this isn't science....... but common sense.

Anyway, I defeated the purpose of any "sucking" and went right for the (insert jokes/flames here: ) blowing- see picture below.

Old 11/10/06, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Ive never seen or heard of any power gains from the shaker.
Off the top http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...lts-38707.html

I dont care for power over 85 mph, pretty much pointless.

But it sure does look **** sexy!!!!
Old 11/10/06, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

Oh it DOES suck air not may. (See Tom's Video again for proof)
Do you have a dyno test or something to prove your accusation or is it just that, and nothing more than your opinion ?
Didn't someone on here already prove that it did indeed increase the HP though not by much. I sure don't recall anyone showing that it decreased HP
And it DOES NOT increase performance.

Actually, you folks over here dont know what technical discussion is and Im not going to waste my time linking the thread and sheet that shows the decrease in performance. Go find it for yourself.

You can think it functional in whatever respect, its a cool cosmetic mod, just like stickers and painting body panels different colors.

-Dan
Old 11/10/06, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Actually, you folks over here dont know what technical discussion is and Im not going to waste my time linking the thread and sheet that shows the decrease in performance. Go find it for yourself.

You can think it functional in whatever respect, its a cool cosmetic mod, just like stickers and painting body panels different colors.

-Dan
Wow somebody's got there panties in a bunch. Looks like your one of those Modular Ford guys that think your better than everyone else just because your S/C or got nitrous.
Old 11/10/06, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Ive never seen or heard of any power gains from the shaker.
Off the top http://www.modularfords.com/forums/2...lts-38707.html

I dont care for power over 85 mph, pretty much pointless.

But it sure does look **** sexy!!!!
That thread starts off by claiming 18.9 more RWHP from the stock air box setup than the Shaker which is just absolute
running on a stationary dyno. Yea they added a fan to FORCE the air into the shaker. This could cause problems. 1) It could restrict the Shaker because it was supposedly connected by a pipe and a closed system 2) It force feed TOO much air and it ran too lean.
Even Cleveland was over there defending the shaker, so I am not sure why he is bashing it on TMS.

"Ummmmm, yeah. You are not getting enough air to the intake. You are going about this the wrong way since the car is standing still. You need to put the car on the drag strip to test the difference."

and

"It's very hard for us to analyse the results without seeing the test setup but, I find it hard to believe the Shaker would hurt the dyno run regardless, by that much.
Dyno's are run with the hood up and a fan usually blowing "low" at the front grill area. You would have to use another dedicated fan blowing directly into the shaker scoop to simulate real world. The shaker is "as good or better than" stock air charge into the filter whether you have it stock or even like don's imo. Certainly it can't be worse.
I agree with the posts above, prove it at the track and see, that said, I don't think the Shaker will yeild incredible gains but, it can't hurt performance and as don said, it looks NICE.

Only my thoughts..."

Also on the early model shakers (The one used in this test back in late '05), I believe CDC had you close off the inlet on the stock airbox as well, which proved to be detrimental to the performance of the shaker.
Old 11/10/06, 08:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

-Dan

I bet you're going to try to pass this post off as being misunderstood or misinterpreted again........ its amazing how, just like alcohol, computers can turn some people into a$$holes too. Let me have a turn- maybe you should stay where ever it is that you can actually contribute to your "technical discussions" and enjoy yourself a little bit.

Oh lastly, just like stickers and painting body panels different colors, your car would look better with the hood painted to match the rest of the car. Just my opinion for what its worth...
Old 11/10/06, 08:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

don't forget the huge mountain of a hood scoop on YOUR car. What preformance gain does that give you ? I see that giving you a decrease in visibility.
I didn't mean to **** you off, only state what this thread started off to be, which was proving that the Shaker did indeed SUCK air.
Then you took it upon yourself to bash it, hmm you must of had a change of heart, see your quotes in my post above from the very thread you are describing.

PS I am sorry we are not as technically advanced as you guys over at the MF forums, I bow to your great wisdom
Old 11/10/06, 08:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TacoBill
*still eating*

Thanks for the Saturday night entertainment.

btw- Shakers rule!
Old 11/10/06, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Im not taking either side, but show me gains. I have yet to see any, suck or not #'s dont lie.
Old 11/10/06, 08:35 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

OK,
Let me get this understood in my head, The system does provide a Cold Air intake point, It does provide a Ram Air effect, (when vehicle is in motion), It looks BIT##### as H### when installed.
It may not produce as much of a Horse Power increase as some of the other C.A.I. kits on the market, or may not produce the sound that the
owner is looking for. Such as turning the lid on a factory air cleaner assembly (especially) when carburetors were around. (EVen ford 2-barrels sounded MEAN).
And above all it has/is better than the factory intake port of approx. 2"
diameter that is in the side of the factory airbox into the inner fender area.
So besides the cost? Why not buy it?
Yes, I know that a CAI of another Manf. with a tune, could and would produce more Horsepower, and may even be cheaper up front.

But there is just something about a SHAKER on the hood of a STANG, that
says it all.

TDS

Just "moding" around.
Old 11/10/06, 08:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
*still eating*

Thanks for the Saturday night entertainment.

btw- Shakers rule!

Hey Bill- it's Friday night........LOL!

Anyway, you won't find this kind of entertainment "over there"!!

TMS rocks!
Old 11/10/06, 08:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
TMS rocks!
Old 11/10/06, 08:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
Doh!
Old 11/10/06, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-Dan
Shakers are functional compared to tacked on scoops with no opening whatsover. The gains, if any, may be small but I have a real hard time believing that they decrease performance.

By the way, I am unbiased because I neither have nor intend to get a Shaker. But that doesn't change the fact that they look cool because they SHAKE!

Quick Reply: My CDC Shaker system sucks...