GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

My car doesn't "FEEL" right sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/05, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

EDIT: CAR IS PERFECT NOW, READ MY LATEST POST!

What can I say :notnice:

I started to feel a little hesitation in my car. Flooring it in 1st was no longer really grabbing me. And it felt sluggish sometimes. Granted, I did have less than 1/4 of a tank of gas, but I've filled her up tonight and hopefully tomorrow I'll see what happens.

It doesn't happen all the time, either. Its VERY wierd. I know it can't be me, because a friend of mine also commented that the "Car felt slower."

I also noticed something, probably normal, but when I turn the key to the On position (Not start, only until radio and lights turn on, no engine...) my Oil lamp light turns on and stays on. I turn on my car, and it goes away in a matter of 5 seconds. :bang: What the heck is going on!?!

I can't really provide too much information, simply because there isn't any. Im at 2,300 miles. Auto. No engine mods. Moderate driving everyday...

Can ANYONE offer some advice please?

-Chris
Old 9/21/05, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

All I can say is just take it into the dealer.
Old 9/21/05, 09:16 PM
FR500 Member

What it sounds like you are experiencing is the "too smart for it's own good" adaptive shifting on the auto.

What happens is that it "learns" your driving habits. So let's say that you're driving around town in heavy traffic lugging around like a snail on sleeping pills.

All of a sudden traffic starts to clear up and you give it a little gas and......it feels like you're dragging a lead weight.

3 things you can do to alleviate the problem some.

1. Turn off overdrive in heavy traffic, you really don't want to be lugging around in 5th gear at 35 mph anyway, turning off overdrive won't allow that to happen.

2. When this happens or every once in awhile (I make a point to go WOT at least once a day) Going full bore through at least the first 3 gears seems to help a little, kinda like reminding your transmission how you REALLY want to drive.

3. Unhooking the battery will also help, but it's something I wouldn't do, it's just not practicle.

The ignition in the ON position. Ummm that's normal. Your engine won't be running until you move the key to the start position. The warning lights are just doing a self test at startup...again normal AND all of this is stuff is discussed in the owners manual
Old 9/21/05, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@September 21, 2005, 9:19 PM
What it sounds like you are experiencing is the "too smart for it's own good" adaptive shifting on the auto.

What happens is that it "learns" your driving habits. So let's say that you're driving around town in heavy traffic lugging around like a snail on sleeping pills.

All of a sudden traffic starts to clear up and you give it a little gas and......it feels like you're dragging a lead weight.

3 things you can do to alleviate the problem some.

1. Turn off overdrive in heavy traffic, you really don't want to be lugging around in 5th gear at 35 mph anyway, turning off overdrive won't allow that to happen.

2. When this happens or every once in awhile (I make a point to go WOT at least once a day) Going full bore through at least the first 3 gears seems to help a little, kinda like reminding your transmission how you REALLY want to drive.

3. Unhooking the battery will also help, but it's something I wouldn't do, it's just not practicle.

The ignition in the ON position. Ummm that's normal. Your engine won't be running until you move the key to the start position. The warning lights are just doing a self test at startup...again normal AND all of this is stuff is discussed in the owners manual
I actually read the manual...I know the lights all test, but the right side lights ALL turn off except the oil...

Not worth disconnecting the battery?
Old 9/21/05, 10:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Tony I think it all those ghost playing around under Chirs's hood.
Old 9/21/05, 10:33 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@September 21, 2005, 9:00 PM
I actually read the manual...I know the lights all test, but the right side lights ALL turn off except the oil...
Not worth disconnecting the battery?
The oil needs a few seconds to circulate before the sensor will pick up the proper pressure. If it stays on longer than a few seconds....then you need to be concerned.

And IMO, no it's not worth disconneting the battery to erase your "driver data". I can get the same result by flogging it a little each day. Which one is more fun?
Old 9/21/05, 10:34 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@September 21, 2005, 9:08 PM
Old 9/22/05, 12:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@September 21, 2005, 10:08 PM
Old 9/22/05, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Probably heat soak. Your car will feel sluggish when you do alot of stop and go or it gets hot under the hood and you don't get a chance to drive enough to circulate it out. I would never drive a overdrive trans. in overdrive around town or when doing alot of stopping. This builds alot of heat in the trans. Not good for it.
Old 9/22/05, 10:00 AM

So, to keep it simple for someone who is confused by overdrive, and new to the Mustang- I should turn off overdrive all the time, EXCEPT when cruising on the highway????

thx
Old 9/22/05, 10:04 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris - welcome to the wonderful world of 'computer controlled throttle'....

I am going with DOug's tune from Bamachips which is supposed to really help alleviate this.....

On surface streets, I also drive around with the OD off if I am under 60 or so.
Old 9/22/05, 10:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by godochaos@September 22, 2005, 10:03 AM
So, to keep it simple for someone who is confused by overdrive, and new to the Mustang- I should turn off overdrive all the time, EXCEPT when cruising on the highway????

thx
Ford designs their transmissions to try to be very smooth.... I haven't driven the new auto in the Mustangs, but I can say this is true for the E4OD in my Bronco and the 4R100 in my Expedition... it sems to shift a million times though there are only 4 gears. The valve body allows the clutches in the torque converter to slip when you're not at WOT so that there are no "apperant" shift points... the objective is that you won't feel it shift at all... then you get more of a possitive lockout when you go WOT, or even just hard excelleration.
So... OD is not technically a gear.... it's an overdrive. The computer tells the valve body not to positively lock out that gear, so your tranny is constantly slipping. This generates heat and subsequently wear and tear. This is the reason that they recommend taking the vehicle out of OD while towing... you'll generate enough heat to melt the seals and blow out all of your fluid (I did this once pulling my boat in a head wind) So.. based on that idea, that's why you'll want to keep your car out of OD while driving in traffic, around town, etc. ... plus, with the OD on, the computer is going to try to shift at the lowest RPM feasible, which will cause you to be constantly fishing thru gears..... once again, a lot of heat generated.
How you drive it is up to you... but that's the principle behind that thought process.
Old 9/22/05, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

That makes a lot of sense. I'll try driving with OD off all the time around town, even though most of the time, it IS off anyway.

You guys mentioned heat...the past few days its been BURNING in Glendale, 80-90+ degrees, and the heat on my car was just impossible to bear. My college parking lot literally turns my car into a melting pot.

Maybe it is this heat that's causing it. Well, my car's in the garage now, we'll see how it runs when I go to school, and I will keep you all updated!

-Chris
Old 9/22/05, 05:43 PM

The oil light will stay on if engine is not running(no oil pressure}.Goes out when pressure is up as soon as you start to crank.
Old 9/22/05, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Burke0011@September 22, 2005, 9:07 AM
I am going with DOug's tune from Bamachips which is supposed to really help alleviate this.....
Oh yea!! :worship:
Old 9/23/05, 01:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well...I started my car up in the morning, nice and normal temps in the garage...The car drove like its old self again. No more sluggishness. I guess my GT IS really getting hot under the sun at my college. It really feels like night and day.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful comments!
Old 9/23/05, 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

Right on.... I'm glad it's behaving a little better. You may want to consider what has been previously stated.... getting a flash tune on your CPU. The computer sends different levels of voltage to the solonoids which control the valve body, which, in turn changes the way your car shifts.... you can tune it to be a more crisp shift so that it's not slipping as much, etc. Then at that point, you may even have better luck using OD in town or whenever. I know that's the first place I'd head if I were getting an auto... I'd "chip it."
Old 9/23/05, 10:15 AM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by don_w@September 22, 2005, 11:48 PM
Oh yea!! :worship:
PLEASE Don - I am trying to be patient as it is and you ain't helping....

I am paid and just waiting for Doug to return home - should go out Monday so looking forward to the new tun in by next weekend....
:drive:
Old 9/23/05, 09:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I got doug's tune and I love it. I still get the hesitation sometimes..it's so weird but it does seem to happen more when it's really hot. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all and sometimes very bad. The computer must be really sensitive to heat or something and tries to save the tranny that way..I know my car is faster with the tune hands down..did a 13.5 1/4mile in my auto in humid florida weather. The on/off hesitation is just annoying. I wish it could totally be tuned out..Doug if you're reading..is there any really true fix to this 100% of the time?
Old 9/23/05, 10:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad I ordered a manual transmission! :drive:

Quick Reply: My car doesn't "FEEL" right sometimes...