GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mufflers Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/04, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to ask, but I need someone to post pics. My new camera & older computer are not jiving so well. The pics need to be reduced quite a bit. Please give me your email for the file. Thanks in advance.

Here's the deal. Small muffler shop ordered me 2 stainless tips, Volt # 577481. 3" id x 12" long, 4" diameter with the inside edge also finished. Used 2.5 aluminized pipe for the fitting. Installed price $200. One of the techs, a die hard Chevy guy with roots from the Bronx, said the car sounded very similar to a GTO with flows. He didn't work on my car, but tried to persuade me to put on tips that are shaped like the Chevy bow tie. He was very impressed with the under pinnings of the car, especially the 3 link rear.

Results as of only a short 40 mile ride in the rain are impressive. I will say that it is probably not a conversion for the timid, but the car sounds sooooo sweet. At idle it is not much louder, but it is deeper & sounds like it has a little cam thing going. Give it gas & it wakes up but sounds great. Kind of like an older muscle car with headers & low restriction exhaust.

In the car from a dead stop there is more intrusion noise then before till you get the car rolling. On the highway at a steady throttle the intrusion noise is close to stock, gas it & again it picks up, but sweet.

I think in my short run tonight the MPG is looking better. With the wet roads the car seemed to spin the wheels easier. Tomorrow is supposed to be dry, will get a better seat of the paints.

Between my poor mans air box & the mufflers delete, I am sure I have picked up 5-10HP, differently more responsive. Hopefully more MPG. Tips look great & car sounds as good as it looks now. Also took about 30lbs off the car.

You may also notice the blacked out tail lens lines.
Old 12/7/04, 04:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Let me get this straight, your tips are shaped in the Chevy bowtie logo on your '05 Mustang......that would be something interesting to see and also very confusing.....
Old 12/7/04, 04:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Oh, you said he tried to persuade you....did you do it?
Old 12/7/04, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wait for the pics.

He was quite the character. The fellow who did the work did a very nice job. Need a host. Thx
Old 12/7/04, 06:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Edit: I had to clear up some space on my boomspeed account, as my car is due to arrive any day now. The pics of the muffler delete on Ponyxpress' car are posted below!
Old 12/7/04, 06:21 PM
Cobra R Member

I live in Missouri with state inspections. I would not make it to first base with this setup. Is the pipe stainless? Looks nice and tight. Bow tie indeed. LOL maybe he would like a mustang shoe print on his hinnie.
Old 12/7/04, 06:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks MTAS for posting the pics.
Old 12/7/04, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Bill

No, they use an aluminized pipe. It is easy to bend & make custom units. Stainless is very hard to work with as you would need to buy elbows, etc., to make a custom unit. That is one reason why most of the stainless units are very expensive.

The tips are stainless.
Old 12/7/04, 07:05 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great, basically the same thing I did on my 97 GT. I got away with it for 2 years until I was pulled over. I then had 48 hours to put mufflers back on and go to court to prove they were on. It sure was sweet without the mufflers.
Old 12/7/04, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks. I have the stock muffs for warranty work & in case the sheriff gets nosey. If you modulate the throttle you can control the note quite a bit. I don't foresee any problems with the law.
Old 12/8/04, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

get a laptop and a mic and get us a sound clip hehe
Old 12/8/04, 10:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Really.....i wanna hear that setup ASAP.....looks great....
Old 12/8/04, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

PONY XPRESS, I proposed this exact mod back in July, and started a pretty heated debate on whether the loss of backpressure would push the peak hp and torque higher up the rev band (a bad thing)

see the original post here: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...=3554&hl=delete

I have a couple questions.

First, do you have before/after dyno numbers? Did you in fact pick up a few ponies or (as many have shown often happens with flomasters or muffler deletes) LOSE a few accross the band?

Second, will the deletion of the mufflers (and resultant airflow increase) cause the motor to run lean, possibly leading to exhaust valve burning?

Third, even if the motor runs lean, won't the engine computer adjust fuel flow to copmensate?

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts/research on this topic. If there is no power loss and little worry about damaging the motor than I might just reconsider deleting the muffler's on my O5...
Old 12/8/04, 01:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

wow.....never gave all that much thought......kinda scary...
Old 12/8/04, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Purple Hayz, all you said is true, except that I read that the major restriction on this car is the cats, not the muffs. I was one of the people who said, "No, don't do it" when you talked about getting rid of the muffs.

Because the cats are the big restriction, I doubt that this dude picked up any HP by doing this mod...if he provides dyno charts, then I will eat my words.
Old 12/8/04, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey guys

First day with the mod & most is good.

My MPG looks like it has gone at least .5 & maybe as close as 1.0 more MPG. I have a heavy foot so it is hard to get max MPG. I did a 30 Mile run averaging 69 & got 23.3 MPG. It use to be in the mid 22's. With my 40K a year that could add up.

I'm more of a road racer then drag racer. Before I did the air box & deletes I used a hand held stop watch, (I'm pretty good with them as I use to time myself road racing until the automatic systems came out) to time my 0-60. To try to set a constant I would keep the TCS on, bind the tranny to 2000 & go. My best was a 5.35. Did it today & got a 5.33. With the TCS off I could probably get it lower, but again didn't want to add in too much driver in the equation.

Where the car really shines with this mod is the top end & highway. Don't have any numbers to give you, just years of driving & racing. The car is definitely stronger pulling to higher speeds & slowing using the gears. My best description would be the car is freed up.

The car noise wise is ok, but when you go WOT it is loud, but a good loud. Deep & throaty, not ricey fart can loud.

I wish I had more info for you guys. I did this more or less on a whim just to see what it would achieve. Out of town for a few days, when I come back I will post the fog light conversion to driving lights.
Old 12/9/04, 11:48 PM

Ok so does this mod lose hp or gain? Also am i looing at ******* up my car by doing this? I was thinking about it but now its an iffy subject. Just let me know.Thanks
Old 12/10/04, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, as your handle xpresses, you will likely voice your drivetrain warranty by deleting the mufflers.

Also, don't try to get around the language filters, it's a family site for a reason.
Old 12/10/04, 04:16 PM

Well shea if i need to do any warrenty work i fould just weld on mufflers. And i dont think there are to many kids under 16 which is around the time kids get cars and if they get offended by the f word than they need to tuffen up a little and get a life.
Old 12/11/04, 03:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Adam, firstly, any good dealer will be able to tell if you pull mufflers, then weld new ones into place. If you want to risk it, cool.

Secondly, I personally don't care at all if you swear, but this isn't my site. The moderators do care, and I was just giving you a friendly word to the wise.

Being tough has nothing to do with being offended (or not offended) by the f word. I am a bouncer as well as having a concealed weapons permit and 3 years of training in Kung Fu, but that doesn't make me tough, and neither does swearing.

I'm just saying that out of respect for Brad (owner of the site) we should abide by his rules, and that includes no swearing. I already learned that lesson the hard way. Peace.

Quick Reply: Mufflers Delete