GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

More Exhaust Info - PRI

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/04, 06:46 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from the Performance Racing Industry trade show at Indianapolis. I went to the Borla booth to see if they had anything to offer that would enhance the sound of my new GT. I decided to look at Borla because I like their sound - more mellow than FlowMaster - louder than Magnaflow.

Yes, they do - a cat back system that their tech says got 31 dyno HP (too good to believe). But they don't have an axle back system at all.

There were 2 modified '05 GTs at the show - one had a Steeda exhaust. So, off to the Steeda booth I go. Yes, they have an axle back system in stock ready to go. OBTW Steeda doesn't make it - Borla does.

Pipes/mufflers should be here this week.
Old 12/13/04, 06:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Roger Ramjet@December 13, 2004, 7:49 AM
Just got back from the Performance Racing Industry trade show at Indianapolis. I went to the Borla booth to see if they had anything to offer that would enhance the sound of my new GT. I decided to look at Borla because I like their sound - more mellow than FlowMaster - louder than Magnaflow.

Yes, they do - a cat back system that their tech says got 31 dyno HP (too good to believe). But they don't have an axle back system at all.

There were 2 modified '05 GTs at the show - one had a Steeda exhaust. So, off to the Steeda booth I go. Yes, they have an axle back system in stock ready to go. OBTW Steeda doesn't make it - Borla does.

Pipes/mufflers should be here this week.
congrats dood. post a sound byte once you're finished so we can check it out.

Old 12/13/04, 07:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

If you're wanting louder and lower then Magnaflow and Flowmaster then check the Bassani's......probably run you less then Borla also.....just an idea....
Old 12/13/04, 07:28 AM
GT Member

Actually, I know I don't want the Bassani exhaust - too obnoxious!
Old 12/13/04, 07:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Any specs on the Borla system?
I've been waiting on news.

They didn't have an axleback ready or they won't have one at all?

And was it standard Borla Mufflers or Stingers?
30hp gain is impressive if true...but I have a hard time believing it.

So that answered a previous question a long time ago, Borla still manufactures Steeda's exhaust. They are not the same as regular borla's rebadges as steeda's....if I can remember correctly, Steeda gives Borla the specs and borla makes them for steeda.
Old 12/13/04, 10:11 AM
GT Member

The Borla tech guy I talked to in the booth said that they got the gains from finding good bend locations. All he told me was they only offer the full cat back system. I didn't even ask the price.

I don't know what type of muffler the Steeda axle back uses. It is a round 5 x 14 inch can with flat ends - not tapered....and it has STEEDA stamped in 2 inch letters the length of the muffler. The Steeda guys told me their system saves 35 pounds from stock. $429 retail.
Old 12/13/04, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

man,I e-mailed Borla for some pics a week ago.I thought they did not have it ready yet.Now I see they have a proto system already on a car.Come on Borla,lets see some pics.Is it a stinger system???can you verify HP with a dyno?????Put up something or Bassani will get my business.
Old 12/13/04, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Roger

I'm the guy who started the muffler deletes. The stock muffs maybe weigh at the high end 20lbs each, so I'm not sure how Steeda saves 35lbs.

I agree with others that the 31HP claims sound high. Did they have any dyno sheets to prove?
Old 12/14/04, 03:18 PM
GT Member

There is not 31rwhp to be had from a stock 05 GT cat back plain and simple-

1. The 05 Mustang is now using 2.5" mandrel bent pipe (99-04 had 2.25)
2. The 05 MUstang GT muffler flows a lot better then the 99-04 GT muffler (a guy put Flowmasters on all ready and lost hp on the dyno)

So based on the above facts, if a 05 Mustang gains 31rwhp, then a 99-04 GT should gain even more because it is using even more restrivtive piping and mufflers.

Ask for a dyno sheet. I promise you won't get one.

Normally I don't stick my head in when it comes to other manufacturers, however.....

when aftermarket companies quote outrageous numbers, we all start getting a reputation for padding the numbers- it just makes us all look bad-

They make a nice product- but they need to be realistic-

I have internal dyno sheets I would be more then happy to send out on our gains- a much more believable 10-11rwhp is what we quote-

*******Also what is really wierd is Steeda has two 05 Mustangs running around- one with Borla exhaust and one with Magnaflow exhaust-

Now as far as bends- there are four bends that can be eliminated from factory exhaust system by the rear axle- those are probably the bends he is reffering to- we also eliminated the bends as well- as Bassani did as well-
Old 12/14/04, 03:22 PM
GT Member

More clarification-

The 05 Steeda at the NItto booth at PRI had Magnaflow exhaust on it- so if that was the car you saw, you were actually looking at a Magnaflow exhaust system-
Old 12/15/04, 04:34 AM
GT Member

Yeah, I saw the Magnaflow system on the red GT. The yellow Gt at the bottom of the escalator had the Steeda system. And I agree, there is not 31 HP in any full exhaust system change. When the Borla guy said that I threw the BS flag and turned to another guy for info.
Old 12/15/04, 06:22 AM
GT Member

Some observations on dyno testing intake/exhaust systems on OBDII machines:
- Desired WOT AFR is achieved by long term fuel trim at part throttle plus fixed fuel increase (O2 sensor is only accurate at 14.7 AFR).
- Factory tune at WOT is rich for cat con longevity.
- Any increase in airflow leans AFR.
- Most of the observed HP gain is the result of a leaner WOT AFR.
- After some normal driving (~100 miles), most of the observed HP gain will be trimmed out by the ECU.

I always use my own weather station during a dyno session. Then I do the HP corrections myself using the dyno raw values. Keeps everyone honest!
Old 12/15/04, 12:00 PM
GT Member

I think this is the car I saw at PRI.

Old 12/15/04, 04:37 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Anyone have a steeda sound clip?
Old 12/15/04, 06:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They hide nice, they look nice..
May have to givem a whirl
Old 12/16/04, 04:08 AM
GT Member

Got the Steeda muffs yesterday....and put them on last night.

The best thing is how they look. Much cleaner rear view. The big oval muffler cans are gone. The 4 inch tips look better too. They are MUCH lighter than the stock setup.

Don't have a sound clip. They are louder than MagnaFlows but have the same kind of sound. The mufflers are a straight through absorber design - like MagnaFlow. As everyone expects, they are loudest around 2000 RPM cruise in 5th gear.

I'm very satisfied with Steeda's service - ordered Friday, got 'em Wednesday. They were shipped with protective foam bags. Bolted right up like advertised - took about 1/2 hour.
Old 12/16/04, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Roger Ramjet@December 16, 2004, 5:11 AM
As everyone expects, they are loudest around 2000 RPM cruise in 5th gear.
So that would stink for those that drive a lot of highway at 65 mph.
Old 12/16/04, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Those Steedas look nice, but I wish they had rolled tips like some of the other axlebacks coming out now. Like the angle-cut tips though...thye look a lot like my old Bassani tips.
Old 12/13/07, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gnn60gt500

Also what is really wierd is Steeda has two 05 Mustangs running around- one with Borla exhaust and one with Magnaflow exhaust-
Why is that wierd? Sounds like development mules to me...IMO.
Old 12/13/07, 01:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jager
Why is that wierd? Sounds like development mules to me...IMO.
Dude... you are replying to a three year old post!

Quick Reply: More Exhaust Info - PRI