GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mods Budget 2k

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/13, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods Budget 2k

Hi all, just got a bone stock 05 GT and have a couple grand only to spend on mods. So far only add is Kenwood DNX6990HD $710 installed), which I'm happy with/still figuring out. Otherwise I thinking of these

--BBK 62mm throttle body & CAI
--Flowmaster American Thunder
--Leave tune alone as I don't know what I'm doing--not a fan of canned tunes, and I haven't found a decent dyno shop

With the change I'll probably add a chin spoiler and a little bling...

Smart moves for the money? Your opinion please....
Old 4/27/13, 11:04 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Throttle body would require tune.. And you will be wasting your money since it dont do much when everything else is stock.
Get exhaust. Not much performance but you gotta be able to hear the rumble of the v8. Trust me
Old 4/27/13, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by texastboneking
Throttle body would require tune.. And you will be wasting your money since it dont do much when everything else is stock.
Get exhaust. Not much performance but you gotta be able to hear the rumble of the v8. Trust me
Thx Texas,
Throttle body has an annoying hesitation at 1st petal so looking to replace it anyway
According to BBK no tune needed
I figure I can chase down a future tune if I need it

You don't think I'll get 25-30 horse add?
Old 4/27/13, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ledhed
Hi all, just got a bone stock 05 GT and have a couple grand only to spend on mods. So far only add is Kenwood DNX6990HD $710 installed), which I'm happy with/still figuring out. Otherwise I thinking of these

--BBK 62mm throttle body & CAI
--Flowmaster American Thunder
--Leave tune alone as I don't know what I'm doing--not a fan of canned tunes, and I haven't found a decent dyno shop

With the change I'll probably add a chin spoiler and a little bling...

Smart moves for the money? Your opinion please....
Get a programmer from AM. The BAMA tunes are actually pretty close, my peak was only 5hp more after being dynotuned. Wipe your *** with the throttle body, it's a waste of money. Just clean your throttle body. Get an H pipe from JEGS, it's like $160. The CAI will be a good move. And do gears. Either 410s or 430s.
Old 4/27/13, 02:46 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Thx Texas,
Throttle body has an annoying hesitation at 1st petal so looking to replace it anyway
According to BBK no tune needed
I figure I can chase down a future tune if I need it

You don't think I'll get 25-30 horse add?
The lag is in the tune. A tune will fix that lag. Not a throttle body.

I can promise you wont see those gains with your setup
Old 4/27/13, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 542 Likes on 422 Posts
Like mentioned above by muscledom, cleaning the existing throttle body is a good idea and will probably get rid of that hesitation you mention.

I wouldn't bother with a CAI, but different mufflers/exhaust will give you enjoyment every time you press that nice little pedal on the right
Old 4/27/13, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by muscledom

Get a programmer from AM. The BAMA tunes are actually pretty close, my peak was only 5hp more after being dynotuned. Wipe your *** with the throttle body, it's a waste of money. Just clean your throttle body. Get an H pipe from JEGS, it's like $160. The CAI will be a good move. And do gears. Either 410s or 430s.
Doesn't a stock gt come with an H pipe?
Old 4/27/13, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tu3218

Bigger H
Old 4/27/13, 07:08 PM

Well looks like the only consensus is axel backs. You guys about talked me out of everything else! For now going to clean the TB and see if it helps with the hesitation, and go from there...thanks for the replys

Last edited by Ledhed; 4/27/13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 4/27/13, 07:11 PM
Banned

*offroad h pipe
Old 4/28/13, 08:44 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Well looks like the only consensus is axel backs. You guys about talked me out of everything else! For now going to clean the TB and see if it helps with the hesitation, and go from there...thanks for the replys
Tune will fix the hesitation
Old 4/28/13, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

*offroad h pipe
Would the inspection people be able to tell I have an offroad h pipe? I want one so bad but we have inspection in Maryland. I want more sound and power(not sure how much the H pipe would give).

OP, definitely recommend CAI and tune. Unbelievable combination. You won't regret it. Get it from AM though. Their tunes are very safe.
Old 4/28/13, 12:02 PM
Banned

Would the inspection people be able to tell I have an offroad h pipe? I want one so bad but we have inspection in Maryland. I want more sound and power(not sure how much the H pipe would give).

OP, definitely recommend CAI and tune. Unbelievable combination. You won't regret it. Get it from AM though. Their tunes are very safe.
Dude I'm not really sure. In Florida it's all good so I don't have to sweat that. Swapping the h pip is only like a 45 minute ordeal in your driveway.
Old 4/28/13, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dude I'm not really sure. In Florida it's all good so I don't have to sweat that. Swapping the h pip is only like a 45 minute ordeal in your driveway.
assuming I have jacks to lift my car up lol But yeah, that's why I was thinking this for my next step because I could do it myself. Just didn't really want to add a mod that I'd have to take on an off. I see they have catted ones but they are twice the cost of the off road ones. Screw maryland lol
Old 6/14/13, 10:41 PM
GT Member

I did the Airiad race CAI and Bama tune from AM and the lag is almost completely gone I was a little on edge about the whole tuning process but it worked and it helped a ton not to mention the tuner is also a DTC scanner which Is awesome kind of a two in one for the off chance your car throws a code and for axle backs I got the Borla Atak system and its perfect with the catted h pipe for emissions crap and it sounds amazing look up sound clips on YouTube it helped me decide which kit
Attached Thumbnails Mods Budget 2k-image-1733455141.jpg   Mods Budget 2k-image-779245970.jpg  

Last edited by vistabluenorange; 6/14/13 at 10:44 PM.
Old 6/15/13, 01:27 PM
V6 Member

My choice would be :

Steeda Underdrive pulleys.
JLT V3 CAI combo with BAMA tune.
Ford racing cut and clamp x pipe
Axle back exhaust.
Ford Racing Manifold.
GT500 Chin spolier
Honeycomb decklid panel
Black tail light trim
Old 6/15/13, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Like mentioned above by muscledom, cleaning the existing throttle body is a good idea and will probably get rid of that hesitation you mention.

I wouldn't bother with a CAI, but different mufflers/exhaust will give you enjoyment every time you press that nice little pedal on the right
Why wouldn't you bother with the CAI? I've never heard anyone say don't do a CAI. Almost 100% of the posts I've read on the subject say its one of the best mods to do. Really the tune is where most of the gains come from but why not do both?
Old 6/15/13, 10:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 542 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Why wouldn't you bother with the CAI? I've never heard anyone say don't do a CAI. Almost 100% of the posts I've read on the subject say its one of the best mods to do. Really the tune is where most of the gains come from but why not do both?
Since I wrote that, I more recently ended up doing a CAI/tuner combo and am pretty happy with it, but I probably would've been pretty happy with just the tune too, and saving the $300+ the CAI cost

Really, it only adds a couple/few horsepower, and if anybody says they can feel the difference between a 440hp car and a 443hp car, they're simply lying.

The sound difference is big and it sounds cool, but modding the exhaust makes it more fun and you don't have to really get into it to enjoy it, like you have to do with a CAI
Old 6/16/13, 08:25 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Gabe

Since I wrote that, I more recently ended up doing a CAI/tuner combo and am pretty happy with it, but I probably would've been pretty happy with just the tune too, and saving the $300+ the CAI cost

Really, it only adds a couple/few horsepower, and if anybody says they can feel the difference between a 440hp car and a 443hp car, they're simply lying.

The sound difference is big and it sounds cool, but modding the exhaust makes it more fun and you don't have to really get into it to enjoy it, like you have to do with a CAI
Well spoken
Old 6/16/13, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gabe...did the CAI change the exhaust sound or do you hear the sound from the engine more, or both?

If it changed the exhaust, how? Louder, deeper?

Quick Reply: Mods Budget 2k