GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Modding isn't for everyone...

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cruise a number or Mustang forums on a daily basis. For whatever reason the 2005-Mustang-specific forum here seems to be particularly sensitive regarding any sort of modding shortcoming. I realize that after flipping through a Mustang magazine a person might get the impression that building a better car is a simple matter of throwing on parts and everything instantly just works perfectly 100% of the time.

Ask someone who has done any amount of aftermarket modding how "positive" their experiences have been. Take a poll as to how many people have spent medium to large amounts of money on products that did not work/fit/align and ultimately even failed to deliver.

When JLT's CAI was released into the 03-04 Cobra world it was initially received with skepticism and criticism. After years of trials and tribulation any Cobra junkie can tell you that the JLT and the K&N FIPK are the two top dogs in a market flooded with CAIs.

On a funny note...if you are having any "CAI blues"...try installing a set of long-tube headers to put things into perspective!
Old 6/9/05, 06:33 AM
FR500 Member

Don't remind me of my Hedman tri-Y headers on my 66'. Leaky bastages
Old 6/9/05, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by SixtySix@June 9, 2005, 5:36 AM
Don't remind me of my Hedman tri-Y headers on my 66'. Leaky bastages
Two Mustangs ago I installed long-tube headers...I won't be doing that again.
Old 6/9/05, 11:39 AM
FR500 Member

Before I even finished your second paragraph, I was thinking... this is going to be about the JLT CAI. And I was right. You work for JLT, don't you? Is MrDrezzUp Jay from JLT? I personally agree with you though, whether you are affiliated with JLT or not. I mean, dang... this is a brand new car. And the aftermarket is pressured to make products ASAP because us consumers are planning mods before we even get our cars and want the stuff now. Actually, yesterday. So, there are going to be fitment and other issues on these products at least for the first year. If you want a perfect product, don't be so impatient. Just my 2 cents.
Old 6/9/05, 11:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hence, that is why I am glad MRT keeps cancelling shipments of the louvers. They want them to be perfect and so do I before I buy them. Ihave bought a lot of stuff already for my car and had issues with most of them as far as fit and finish. That is why I have decided to wait until I buy my body kit and new hood.
Old 6/9/05, 01:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

There are certainly risks in being first to mod - kinda like getting a first year model vehicle some would say.
Old 6/9/05, 04:02 PM

Certainly not affiliated with Jay or JLT...just a lowly Mustang modder who does a lot of his own wrenching.

Here is one of my first cars... http://www.mrdrezzup.com/mustang/ As simple as that list of mods is I can not begin to describe what was involved during the installation/configuration and even afterwards. I pulled the suspension apart so many times on that car (to get one thing or another corrected) that I could almost do it in the dark. I had to make so many trips to the local automotive shop (for tools, bolts ect) that I became friends with the staff there.

Here are some examples of what happens during modding.

- While installing long-tube headers realization that the stock x-brace (found only on convertibles) will have to go. BBK never mentioned this. Bummer...oh well...primary frontal stabilizer gets tossed.

- After getting the long tubes in place, realization that the automatic transmission no longer works. Why? The long-tube headers conflict with the automatic linkage. BBK never mentioned this. Bummer...oh well...Hours of sawing/adjusting/re-running the automatic linkage to a new location.

- Long tubes in place...supplied bung hole is completely unusable due to its location. Oh well...weld over bung hole, cutting torch called out to put in a new one.

There is more to my "long tube installation" but I am sure my point has been made. The rest of that cars modification journey was pretty much the same. In the end though that is part of the reason why I enjoy modding as it requires patience, ingenuity, skill, and temperance.

In the JLT spectacle we have people who encountered problems, used their heads to solve them (e.g. hair spray, sanding etc), informed others of their problem(s)/solutions, and notified Jay of what they encountered, which will hopefully allow Jay to improve his product. Then we have the other side where you have "OMG MY FILTER FELL OFF"! or "OMG MY CAR HAS A CEL NOW"! Everyone is entitled to their opinions and reactions. I appreciate that. I started this thread as a heads up to people who are thinking of going down the "modification road". If you are like minded to the first group of people you will find modding a challenging (and possibly rewarding!) experience. If you are of the second group that is ok too but modding is probably not for you.
Old 6/9/05, 04:43 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MrDrezzUp@June 9, 2005, 2:05 PM
Certainly not affiliated with Jay or JLT...just a lowly Mustang modder who does a lot of his own wrenching.

Here is one of my first cars... http://www.mrdrezzup.com/mustang/ As simple as that list of mods is I can not begin to describe what was involved during the installation/configuration and even afterwards. I pulled the suspension apart so many times on that car (to get one thing or another corrected) that I could almost do it in the dark. I had to make so many trips to the local automotive shop (for tools, bolts ect) that I became friends with the staff there.

- While installing long-tube headers realization that the stock x-brace (found only on convertibles) will have to go. BBK never mentioned this. Bummer...oh well...primary frontal stabilizer gets tossed.

- After getting the long tubes in place, realization that the automatic transmission no longer works. Why? The long-tube headers conflict with the automatic linkage. BBK never mentioned this. Bummer...oh well...Hours of sawing/adjusting/re-running the automatic linkage to a new location.

- Long tubes in place...supplied bung hole is completely unusable due to its location. Oh well...weld over bung hole, cutting torch called out to put in a new one.

There is more to my "long tube installation" but I am sure my point has been made. The rest of that cars modification journey was pretty much the same. In the end though that is part of the reason why I enjoy modding as it requires patience, ingenuity, skill, and temperance.

In the JLT spectacle we have people who encountered problems, used their heads to solve them (e.g. hair spray, sanding etc), informed others of their problem(s)/solutions, and notified Jay of what they encountered, which will hopefully allow Jay to improve his product. Then we have the other side where you have "OMG MY FILTER FELL OFF"! or "OMG MY CAR HAS A CEL NOW"! Everyone is entitled to their opinions and reactions. I appreciate that. I started this thread as a heads up to people who are thinking of going down the "modification road". If you are like minded to the first group of people you will find modding a challenging (and possibly rewarding!) experience. If you are of the second group that is ok too but modding is probably not for you.
Very nicely siad, MrDrezzUp...and you can't possibly be Jay as your spelling and grammar are quite accurate!

J/K Jay!
Old 6/9/05, 04:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by MrDrezzUp@June 9, 2005, 5:05 PM

I always wrench on my own cars and would be pissed if I encountered the problems that are appearing with the JLT. I have built engines, worked on race cars, etc etc. I could easily fix the problem, but if I wanted to modify a CAI, I would have just built my own. Now that I have a real job, I don't have time to be messing around with defects. Time is money as they say. Anyone that says that they wouldn't be frustrated with a poorly engineered product is just kidding themselves.
Old 6/9/05, 05:05 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@June 9, 2005, 2:55 PM
I always wrench on my own cars and would be pissed if I encountered the problems that are appearing with the JLT. I have built engines, worked on race cars, etc etc. I could easily fix the problem, but if I wanted to modify a CAI, I would have just built my own. Now that I have a real job, I don't have time to be messing around with defects. Time is money as they say. Anyone that says that they wouldn't be frustrated with a poorly engineered product is just kidding themselves.
Yes, but it is a rare occasion when the aftermarket product fits and works perfectly. Everything from B&M shifters to fiberglass body parts to ignition components from both MSD and Mallory - I have had these kinds of problems with most bolt-ons. More often than not, there is an issue to some degree. Guess it's just the way it is...I think the point of the thread is that if you aren't prepared to roll up your sleeves and do a little creative thinking, then leave your car bone stock and don't change anything out. And use your factory warranty to your heart's content when year-one issues arise...
Old 6/9/05, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by loudog@June 9, 2005, 4:08 PM
Yes, but it is a rare occasion when the aftermarket product fits and works perfectly. Everything from B&M shifters to fiberglass body parts to ignition components from both MSD and Mallory - I have had these kinds of problems with most bolt-ons. More often than not, there is an issue to some degree. Guess it's just the way it is...I think the point of the thread is that if you aren't prepared to roll up your sleeves and do a little creative thinking, then leave your car bone stock and don't change anything out. And use your factory warranty to your heart's content when year-one issues arise...

That is exactly my point. I am sitting here going over all of the aftermarket mods my friends and I have installed over the years and I am really struggling to think of any that were without some sort of installation/configuration/useage shortcoming of some sort. For me it is just all part of the modding experience and it is to be expected.
Old 6/9/05, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MrDrezzUp@June 9, 2005, 6:05 PM
...oh well...
...oh well...
Oh well...

So, let me get this straight. BBK delivers a piece of crap to you and all you can say is "oh well"? Interesting . . . OK, to each their own.

The Boss Hog
Old 6/9/05, 05:55 PM
V6 Member

I find this post offensive. First off, i was one of the ones who found the JLT product to be a pain. However, if a product is melting and changing shape because of heat, then what can i do but change products and request a refund? Second.... for you to imply that modding isnt for me is ridculous, as i have run into many a problem while installing parts on my 03 cobra. heck, i spend over 20 hours installing a Paxton NOVI 2000 on my 03 cobra with a custom intake manifold and internals etc.. and was not short of problems. It not the problems here that were bothering me onthe instal, it was the fact that the filter fell off due to the product melting.
Old 6/9/05, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've modded and restored cars over the last 20 years and pretty much agree that most mods require some "Tuning"......The first post got me to thinking, this may be the first car in a long time that has attracted a whole new group of mustang converts, some who may be new to the "Mustang game", that is " I can't leave it stock now!?" and among them people who used to leave their cars stock or whatever. With some exceptions....Some of the latest threads have gotten out of hand, in the long run, the info and discussions we're having will benefit many of these new owners. and will result in improved products from manufacturers and yes , even a few may fold their tents. :w00t:
Old 6/9/05, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by loudog@June 9, 2005, 6:08 PM
I have had some problems in the past with aftermarket parts, but that's usually because I bought cheap parts. The C&L and MAK offroad x-pipe installed without any modifications because they were manufactured properly. You shouldn't have to roll up your sleeves and modify a simple intake, that's just poor engineering. If my engineers at work were to make a mistake on their end, I know darn well that customer would be complaining. People pay good money for products and it should work as advertised.
Old 6/9/05, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MrDrezzUp@June 9, 2005, 6:30 AM
I cruise a number or Mustang forums on a daily basis. For whatever reason the 2005-Mustang-specific forum here seems to be particularly sensitive regarding any sort of modding shortcoming. I realize that after flipping through a Mustang magazine a person might get the impression that building a better car is a simple matter of throwing on parts and everything instantly just works perfectly 100% of the time.

Ask someone who has done any amount of aftermarket modding how "positive" their experiences have been. Take a poll as to how many people have spent medium to large amounts of money on products that did not work/fit/align and ultimately even failed to deliver.

When JLT's CAI was released into the 03-04 Cobra world it was initially received with skepticism and criticism. After years of trials and tribulation any Cobra junkie can tell you that the JLT and the K&N FIPK are the two top dogs in a market flooded with CAIs.

On a funny note...if you are having any "CAI blues"...try installing a set of long-tube headers to put things into perspective!
EDIT: Don't know what happened there, but it deleted what i typed.

I agree with your post, that is why I told Jay he hould only sell to people with IQs higher than their shoe size

Modding DEFINATELY isn't for everyone
Old 6/9/05, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@June 9, 2005, 6:05 PM
I have had some problems in the past with aftermarket parts, but that's usually because I bought cheap parts. The C&L and MAK offroad x-pipe installed without any modifications because they were manufactured properly. You shouldn't have to roll up your sleeves and modify a simple intake, that's just poor engineering. If my engineers at work were to make a mistake on their end, I know darn well that customer would be complaining. People pay good money for products and it should work as advertised.
Ya, Jay should have bought a fleet of 05s and sent them to all climate conditions all around the world for real world testing. Only after tens of thousands of miles of testing should he have released his product in late 2006 for a bargain price of $5000 a piece.

He obviously has not had this problem with his intakes for previous years and he has been diligent about correcting issues. Even wit people posting completly BS threads about "Waaaa, I almost got killed". We all know those threads are BS. We all know they just wanted a refund.

BTW - I have a JLT. The first week I had it I drove 3 hours in So. Cal. traffic in 90* heat to the drag strip where I then made 12 runs in approx 4.5 hours. I have since driven 1500+ miles with the JLT including a Memorial weekend trip that was a 4 hour trip each way. On the way home I drove "Historic Route 1" from Pismo Beach to Santa Barbara. My average speed was 94. This road is not well maintained and there were alot of "flyers" (bumps in the road that try to launch your car). All that and I purposely took my filter off yesterday to see if mine had any signs of distortion. My JLT is still roundy round. I think it has alot to do with how tight the clamp is. Sort of like over torquing bolts on something that has a gasket. The gasket just gets squished out. I don't think the ambient air temp is enough to distort the tube. heated tube with an over tightened clamp might.

Good luck to all with their mods
Old 6/9/05, 08:05 PM
V6 Member

Same here. I live in FL, and its Hot! been in the 90s for over a month. I have had my JLT for 3 months and 4000 miles. Over very rough rail road crossings and bumps, hard launches and fast curves. Never a CEL problem, Never had the filter fall off. But then I have been wrenching on cars for better than 25 years. I guess I learned how to tighten clamps.

I see the same thing in my business too. There will always be some who can never be satisfied. I think it was Clint Eastwood who said this: "A man has got to know his limitations"
Old 6/9/05, 08:17 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 9, 2005, 4:58 PM
I find this post offensive..
Gee, I don't remember anyone actually naming names. Ever heard what they say about people who protest too much <_<
Old 6/9/05, 08:23 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ya SixtySix. No names were mentioned yet he is offended. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Modding isn't for everyone...