GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mid Muffler System vs. LT + H pipe

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/07, 09:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid Muffler System vs. LT + H pipe

I have a 2007 gt with borla stingers. The sound is mediocre at best. Nothing like what the previous generation gt's sounded like. Would the Pypes Mid-Muffler system make my car sound like the previous generation mustangs?

http://pypesexhaust.com/newproducts.html#12

Or, would i get a better sound with long tube headers + h-pipe + stingers?

http://www.lmperformance.com/7104/73.html

Also, with the mid-muffler system, how far does it go back? Can i add headers to that or does the system go from the axle all the way to the stock headers?
Old 6/21/07, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I've been going back and forth on this myself. I kind of like how my Bassanis sound, but not totally.

The mid-muffler setup looks nice, and for $300 you can't go wrong. I think it sounds pretty good, but I'd like to hear it from different sources, or in person, before deciding. I'm guessing it does a decent job of eliminating drone and making it sound like an older Mustang - at least I hope it does that.

I think it just hooks up to the stock H-pipe, so as long as a header setup doesn't require cutting, you'd be set.
Old 6/21/07, 11:20 PM
Cobra Member

LT Headers will make your car sound MEAN!!!! check out the American Racing Longtube Headers with H-Pipe with or without cats
Old 6/22/07, 08:11 AM
GT Member

I think it just hooks up to the stock H-pipe, so as long as a header setup doesn't require cutting, you'd be set.
does that mean that i could get a LT header + h-pipe setup and bolt the mid-muffler system onto that as well?

LT Headers will make your car sound MEAN!!!! check out the American Racing Longtube Headers with H-Pipe with or without cats
do you happen to have any video clips? i have been looking at the american racing + h-pipe but haven't been able to hear any
Old 6/22/07, 08:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RFLgtcs
I have a 2007 gt with borla stingers. The sound is mediocre at best. Nothing like what the previous generation gt's sounded like.
Please explain, mediocre how? Not loud enough?

I'm considering Stingers and the Pypes mid-muffler but I'm afraid the Pypes might be louder but not deeper than stock.
Old 6/22/07, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

anyone know how loud the pypes mid-muffler setup is? Would it be louder than stock exhaust+flowmasters? I'd like to give the pypes setup a shot, since I seem to really like the sound of midmuffler cars (classics) even though I know that there is more than the mufflers placement that changes sound (motor type, heads, headers, cats/nocats, and so on)
Old 6/23/07, 08:43 AM
GT Member

Please explain, mediocre how? Not loud enough?
well with certain setups we can definitely make our cars loud enough, but the quality of the sound and the tone is nothing compared to an SN95 gt. i know they have 2 & 4 vavles which completely changes the sound along with the mid mufflers, but i want to try and get as close as i can get

I'd like to give the pypes setup a shot,
so would i but i've been warned that it could potentially be dangerous as it puts the muffler right next to the gas tank. is that true?
Old 6/23/07, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

so would i but i've been warned that it could potentially be dangerous as it puts the muffler right next to the gas tank. is that true?
Nope.
Old 6/23/07, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

Alot of the sound still depends on what kind of mufflers your have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFxl7EW89jY here are the ARH with O/R H-Pipe
Old 6/23/07, 12:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you happen to have any video clips? i have been looking at the american racing + h-pipe but haven't been able to hear any
RF, I have this setup (AR L/T's, Catted H, Borla Stingers) and its automotive nirvana!!! The sound the car makes is INSANE!! The start up is a deep agressive rumble, and when you get on it half throttle, wow!! Full throttle, HOLY S***!!! I am hoping to have a sound clip on Monday, the 2nd of July posted, as myself and Hi Roller are going to a show. He's getting his Kooks L/T's done at JDM and I told him to bring along a camcorder. We can video it, and post it so you all can hear the difference. Just depends on weather that day too.

IMO, there is no sound better than American Racing headers, with Borla. ITS SICK!!!!
Old 6/23/07, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Get ready for alot of frustration in trying to get a sound out of these new Mustangs that you really, really enjoy. I finally settled on Ford Racing shorty headers, Pypes offroad H pipe, Dynamax resonators installed on the over-axle pipes, and Borla mufflers. This is after trying Bassani, Corsa, Borla and stock mufflers with an offroad H pipe, stock midpipe, Bassani catted X, and Bassani offroad X. I will say that the Borlas with offroad H sounded the best to me, but the drone and trumpeting were annoying so adding the resonators took that away. Now, I am happy.
Old 6/23/07, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

I've had a TON of setups. One word, prochamber! Its so worth it and gets rid of all the trumpeting and tin sound you get with the H pipe. Check out my sig for my setup. I think the prochamber is the best exhaust piece I've bought to date. With LTs it would be SICK
Old 6/23/07, 03:39 PM
GT Member

thanks guys for all of the helpful responses

would it be possible to mate the ARH lt headers and an OR h setup to the pypes mid-muffler? would that be too obnoxiously loud or even possible?

other than that, i'm really leaning towards the ARH lt headers + OR h pipe + stinger setup
Old 6/23/07, 05:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
I've had a TON of setups. One word, prochamber! Its so worth it and gets rid of all the trumpeting and tin sound you get with the H pipe. Check out my sig for my setup. I think the prochamber is the best exhaust piece I've bought to date. With LTs it would be SICK
I will def agree with you on the prochamber
Old 6/23/07, 06:38 PM
GT Member

if i purchased the ARH Lt headers, would the prochamber fit as well?
Old 6/23/07, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would it be possible to mate the ARH lt headers and an OR h setup to the pypes mid-muffler? would that be too obnoxiously loud or even possible?
All signs point to yes.

Personally I'd go AH long-tubes, off-road H and the Pypes mid-muffler setup. That should logically be closest to an old Mach 1/whatever in sound, although sometimes what would be logical doesn't play out.
Old 6/23/07, 07:34 PM
GT Member

All signs point to yes.

Personally I'd go AH long-tubes, off-road H and the Pypes mid-muffler setup. That should logically be closest to an old Mach 1/whatever in sound, although sometimes what would be logical doesn't play out.
i think we have a winner. i think i'm set on this setup. but do you think the off road h would be a bit much? i am young, but i'm not deaf.

i think the pypes mid-muffler are a straight through design and seem to be pretty unrestrictive. would the LT + OR H + pypes be too much?
Old 6/23/07, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

You would need to do some modding to get the prochamber to fit but yes it would work. I dont think the LT + OR H + Pypes would be to much but then again I like it loud!
Old 6/27/07, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think we have a winner. i think i'm set on this setup. but do you think the off road h would be a bit much? i am young, but i'm not deaf.

i think the pypes mid-muffler are a straight through design and seem to be pretty unrestrictive. would the LT + OR H + pypes be too much?
It'd be pretty loud, but I know it wouldn't be too much for me. I like 'em loud.

Alternatively, you could keep the hi-flow cats and be hassled less by the man in the future.
Old 6/29/07, 03:50 PM
GT Member

alright, so i've almost narrowed it down

how hard is it to switch from a catted mid pipe to an off road?

i'm thinking about starting with cats and if i want it louder just to switch out the midpipe

Quick Reply: Mid Muffler System vs. LT + H pipe