GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mail order tune vs Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/08, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mail order tune vs Dyno tune

just curious if some of you folks that have experience with mail order and dyno tunes, if the difference between the two were substantial?
Its time to get a CAI/tune and I am debating on if I should use one of the more popular mail order tunes, or have this local place here in kansas city dyno it, Supertune Performance. They specialize in mustangs, I have read about them a time or two in 5.0 magazine as well.
Old 8/28/08, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor

For just a CAI and Tune, try one of our mail order tunes. I think it will be more than sufficient for you. Even being in a different altitude and climate, we will ensure that your part throttle fuel trims and WOT are correct, as well as many other parameters that we have dialed in here in-house on our Dynojet 224xLC dyno. The small changes that you see from variance in environmental related aspects will not leave you running lean, rich, or having detonation issues.

We will get you great throttle response, more power, driveability, and even a little bit of gas mileage.

Don't get me wrong, there's always room to dial in a complete custom tune on the dyno, but you will find that the power is still there with our mail order tunes. It will make probably the same as the results you'd find in-house at a local tuner's shop. We're pretty close when it comes to mail order stuff. They may be able to get the fuel trims 1% closer, and same with WOT. Point blank, we're going to get you as close to 12.8AFR's as possible, with the right amount of timing, and it will feel like a new vehicle. The throttle response in our mapping alone is enough to pull the trigger!

I would wait until the car is a little bit heavier modded before doing a complete custom tune.

If you have any questions about our different tuning maps, check out the following link, which is our Frequently Asked Tuning Questions (FATQ) on our message board:

http://www.tillman-speed.com/forum/v...2ecc1a1c43810b

Give me a shout! Good Luck!

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
Old 8/28/08, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with a mail-order tune when I ordered my JLT CAI. I had no complaints about it and ran with it for years. Once I started to add other things I went with a dyno tune.

For the value, they cannot be beat!
Old 8/28/08, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the informative post Chris
Old 8/28/08, 08:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Brenspeed mail-order vs dyno tune(Brenspeed) netted me 2HP & 2TQ.
Pretty much spot-on.
I went with a dyno tune after I installed a set of LT's because I wanted the piece of mind and verify everything was good.
Old 8/28/08, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

This should explain some of the basics:

http://www.tricktuners.com/email_tunes_explained.htm

Pick up a copy of one of the best books on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Managem...9976699&sr=8-1

And then if you feel you are up to a challenge, learn to tune yourself as I have. Then get to work learning and tuning using the best possible method, with your car at the track. Only YOU will be able to do this unless you pay big $$$ for a "tuner" to pay you a visit. A dyno tune is a distant second and a mail order tune that has not been tweaked is a parsec third.... And if $$$ is no object and you can pay a tuner to visit you, you'll have to do this every time you add a mod....

Last edited by Willie; 8/28/08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 8/28/08, 08:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was running a mail order tune for over a year before I had my 1st dyno tune. Once CR got his new DynoJet installed and the new shop up and running, we made an appointment, and I drove down to the new shop and CR did his magic on the car! Let me tell you, a custom dyno tune CAN'T BE BEAT!!! The power he was able to get out of my car with only an Airaid CAI and longtubes, was fantastic!!! The car is a beast!!! The best "bang for the buck" mod I have EVER DONE on my car!!! Thanks again CR, the car is running awesome 6 months since the visit!!

Steve, if you can get a good price on a dyno tune, DO IT!!! You won't be sorry!!!!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 8/28/08 at 08:31 PM.
Old 8/28/08, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Chris, pm sent
Old 8/29/08, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor

Thanks Jeff! Hows sales doing up there? You been getting over to any shows lately?

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
Old 8/29/08, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wish I knew of a Mustang shop in Columbus.
Old 8/29/08, 01:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Thanks Jeff! Hows sales doing up there? You been getting over to any shows lately?

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
www.TillmanSpeed.com
610-497-5776
No problem CR. Sales, right now are SLOW!! I've been doing this for 11 years and I NEVER seen it this bad, I really haven't. Getting scary if you ask me. As for shows? Got 2 on Labor Day I'm doing. Also did one in Canada at Ford HQ. Took 1st in Modified Class (guess thats what 14 hours of detailing will get ya ). Got several shows in September that looks good too. Holman Ford's show is pretty decent, on Sept 7th.
Old 8/29/08, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pwny
I wish I knew of a Mustang shop in Columbus.
try www.modulardepot.com that is the shop i use here in cincy . they just relocated across in nky 2 mins from downtown cincy. KenB is the owner and tuner he is also member of this forum, their shop has dyno and the people there are easy to deal with and get stuff installed quick .