GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow X-Pipe Installed

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/05, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the same sound that I heard when I put it on at first. I was so excited that I wasn't paying much attention to it for a while and I had the radio on some of the time so I wasn't hearing it. It is a metal sounding rattle/ping/vibration, it's a little hard to describe. I am running the stock tune right now and I will be getting a custom dyno tune from Modular Depot on Thursday. Do you think that getting a good tune that gets a good AF ratio and timing will help?

I appreciate all of your input.
Old 8/3/05, 08:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ryan1112

It may be your exhaust pipe hitting under chassis support near the panhard bar. My hits there and I plan on getting some pipe insulation tape to stop the issue.
Old 8/3/05, 09:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not sure if I know exactly where you mean. I can always check clearences over the entire pipe though. Thanks.
Old 8/3/05, 11:52 AM
GT Member

So this is different from the ping that you got after you installed the K&N?

I guess thats what Im trying to figure out- you may want to check the adjustment again, as after you have it on your car for a while, we suggest that you recheck fitment as stainless will change during the first few weeks of use on the car-

has to do with the initial expanding and contracting that happens to stainless systems when it is new-

after a few uses though, the stainless will setlle- usually in an expanded state- causing stainless systems to be realigned sometimes after installation-

def check the clearance between the top of the converter and the floor board as that is the tightest spot and let me know what the distance is approx-

Thanks-
Old 8/3/05, 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I know that this is def not from the K&N. I will get the car on jack stands tonight and retighten all of the bolts and I will take a really close look at the clearance. I realized by looking at the pipes when reving that when the engine torques, it moves a little bit and that may be causing the pipes or cats to be touching something just enought to vibrate it. ie. heat shield. I will let you know what I find. Thanks again.
Old 8/3/05, 05:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, I got under the car and had a look. The cats have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch between them and the heat shielding. I pounded on the shield and got it away as far as I could but it is still close. I don't see any way to adjust the x-pipe to be further away. I'm also not completely convinced that it's the shield rattling that is the sound. After studying it more I can describe it as being a bit of a ticking noise.
Old 8/3/05, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My passenger side tube is extremely close to the floor pan. Driver's side nearly touches the block - MagnaFlow even warns you to check for interference when installing. However, I don't believe the tubes have ever contacted the body.
Old 8/3/05, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by gnn60gt500@August 3, 2005, 10:55 AM
So this is different from the ping that you got after you installed the K&N?

I guess thats what Im trying to figure out- you may want to check the adjustment again, as after you have it on your car for a while, we suggest that you recheck fitment as stainless will change during the first few weeks of use on the car-

has to do with the initial expanding and contracting that happens to stainless systems when it is new-

after a few uses though, the stainless will setlle- usually in an expanded state- causing stainless systems to be realigned sometimes after installation-

def check the clearance between the top of the converter and the floor board as that is the tightest spot and let me know what the distance is approx-

Thanks-

but why cant you make them to fit?
Old 8/4/05, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ryan1112@August 3, 2005, 5:40 PM
Well, I got under the car and had a look. The cats have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch between them and the heat shielding. I pounded on the shield and got it away as far as I could but it is still close. I don't see any way to adjust the x-pipe to be further away. I'm also not completely convinced that it's the shield rattling that is the sound. After studying it more I can describe it as being a bit of a ticking noise.

if you actually think it's a ticking noice y ou might have an exhaust leak. Does the ticking go away as soon as the car warms up?

I had a rattle (many of them) when I installed the x-pipe and my catbacks. I just kept aligning and retightening. I finally figured out one spot it was rattling...it was the hanger on my Magnaflow muffler hitting the back skirting of the car. I just cut the hanger with my grinder and no rattles since.

Hope you find it...rattles drive me crazy too.

Cheers_Jay
Old 8/4/05, 08:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by j-stang@August 4, 2005, 7:40 AM
if you actually think it's a ticking noice y ou might have an exhaust leak. Does the ticking go away as soon as the car warms up?

I had a rattle (many of them) when I installed the x-pipe and my catbacks. I just kept aligning and retightening. I finally figured out one spot it was rattling...it was the hanger on my Magnaflow muffler hitting the back skirting of the car. I just cut the hanger with my grinder and no rattles since.

Hope you find it...rattles drive me crazy too.

Cheers_Jay
That is a good point. The ticking, or rattling seems to be very spuratic. This weekend I will loosen everything and reallign. Can't hurt.