GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow X-Pipe Installed

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/05, 04:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today I got my Magnaflow Tru X-pipe to go with my Magnapacks. I have to admit the installation was a bit of a pain. I did the installation by myself but I really could have used someone there to hold the pipe up to the headers while I bolted them on. Other than that the install went smooth.

As for sound, the x-pipe made the car rumble, pop, and crackle a bit more. For the most part it sounds the same as far as tone goes. I got out on the highway for about a 2 miles and the drone is about the same as with the Magnapacks alone, which is not that bad once you get used to it.

I did notice a small power gain and it feels like theres some more mid range torgue. Throttle response also improved.

The only thing is there seems to be a small, dead "ting" sound when I am 2/3 to full throttle. I can't completely confirm that this is the x-pipe because I have had a small ping since I put on my K&N intake. I will be getting a dyno tune on Thrusday and I will see if the sound remains. The sound is really minor so I can't pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.

Overall, I am happy with this mod and it seem to be worth the $$. RPM Outlet has the best deal. Here are some pictures and I will make a video after I get a tune.
Old 8/1/05, 04:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

A few more
Old 8/1/05, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ryan did yours fit up to the exhaust manifold outlets correctly? I had to "spread" mine about 1/2" to fit properly. It was not my shorty headers that were the problem either. I measured the stock H-Pipe and the X-Pipe was about 1/2" too narrow. Also the flanges that slip over the studs on the headers fit extremely tight. Holes could stand to be a little bit larger. I also put mine on by myself with the vehicle on jack stands. A real PITA! However, I am very pleased with the results.
Old 8/1/05, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good report Ryan Have you had any Check-Engine light problems? Do these require a change to the "tune"? Thanks,

The Boss Hog
Old 8/1/05, 06:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

First off, yes I did have to spread mine about a half inch, just like you did. I saw that this happened to you on another thread so I was prepared. It still was a pain though. The flanges were extremely tight as well. I had to use a hammer to tap them on. And I also did it on jack stands, agreed this is a PITA. After all that complaining, I am also very please with this part.

Also, no check engine lights have come on and I have not tuned yet. Magnaflow told me that no tune is required and so far they are right. I will be tuning Thursday because I have enough mods that I want to make sure everything is perfect. I went out for another drive and it seems to be getting smoother. The little ping sound seems to be going away.
Old 8/1/05, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been eyeing the Magnaflow x-pipe for a while. Can't decide on it or the MAC Prochamber.
Old 8/1/05, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Even with the fitment issue I would recommend this pipe to others. I have not had to retune as the X-Pipe was installed after my last custom tune/dyno session and I have no trouble codes. I have had the pipe installed for about 2 months now.
Old 8/1/05, 06:41 PM
Cobra Member

Very nice! That's the one with converters in it, right? I was driving behind a black '05 that had an off-road x-pipe with no converters and stock mufflers on Friday. It sounded good, but was too raspy. After hearing that one, I'm thinking of going with the Magnaflow x-pipe with converters and leaving the mufflers alone.
Old 8/1/05, 07:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

This x-pipe would probably sound very good with the stock exhaust. The sound is not really more raspy, its more throaty.

I just drove it again and I'm liking this more and more.
Old 8/1/05, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I have heard that this X-pipe will not fit properly around an automatic transmission without being modified. Can anyone verify/debunk this? Thanks!

Ryan, great job on installation and documentation. It's posts like this that continue to narrow my searches for me!
Old 8/1/05, 07:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm not sure about the auto trans. :scratch: Can you post a picture of the underside of your trans? We can compare pictures and see if it will fit.
Oh, and glad I can help with the review. I use these forums to help make decisions about my mods so I figured I'd return the favor. Any questions just ask.
Old 8/1/05, 08:07 PM
GT Member

Great job on the install. I got my car up on jack stands on Saturday to install the Magnaflow X-pipe and quickly decided that it looked like a big PITA. I am taking mine over to a friends shop with a lift tomorrow to do the job. I have the SLP axleback so I am interesting in hearing how much louder it is.
Old 8/1/05, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Tim, I can't blame you for having someone else install it. It should sound really good with the loudmouths. I have heard loudmouths in person and since they already sound great, the x will probably make it sound amazing.
Old 8/1/05, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I want to see dyno results for these x-pipes, both magnaflow and Bassani. I understand that axle backs will get you just a few ponies, but most people are just replacing for the sound they want. But replacing the cats (illigeal if not needed) for a pipe that may gain a few horses to me is crazy. I was told that the Bassani would net you 20hp, but I want proof. Hopefully someone will post dyno tests of aftermarket cat x-pipes that have not been tuned yet to see if they are worth the $500.
Old 8/1/05, 09:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by jvm051@August 1, 2005, 8:14 PM
I want to see dyno results for these x-pipes, both magnaflow and Bassani. I understand that axle backs will get you just a few ponies, but most people are just replacing for the sound they want. But replacing the cats (illigeal if not needed) for a pipe that may gain a few horses to me is crazy. I was told that the Bassani would net you 20hp, but I want proof. Hopefully someone will post dyno tests of aftermarket cat x-pipes that have not been tuned yet to see if they are worth the $500.
I wish I knew the REAL HP my Bassani with cats netted. It was all done at once though, so 436 with the Paxton...
Old 8/2/05, 01:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@August 1, 2005, 7:11 PM
I had to "spread" mine about 1/2" to fit properly. It was not my shorty headers that were the problem either. I measured the stock H-Pipe and the X-Pipe was about 1/2" too narrow. Also the flanges that slip over the studs on the headers fit extremely tight. Holes could stand to be a little bit larger.
Eric I have an automatic
Old 8/2/05, 07:27 AM
V6 Member

I have had the maganflow x with cats for a few weeks and am very satisfied. I still have the stock muffs and the sound has improved substantially. I too installed the x myself which took about 2hrs. I also had to spread the ends out about and inch or so to get them to line up but the fit is very tight.
I had it dynoed the following day and pulled 250rwhp and 260rwtq on a mustang dyno with no other mods. I never got a baseline so I am unsure if this resulted in a gain or not. Either way, I am very happy with the product.
Old 8/2/05, 08:43 AM
GT Member

Well, one of the biggest problems with providing dyno results is these cars are hard to dyno.....

We picked up 19rwhp and 17rwtq with both the catted X pipe and Magnapack catback here.....

We made sure to look at humidity, intake manifold temperature, engine temperature, temperature, exc exc exc...about every variable we could think of...

We then dynoed the car before 5 times- did the install- let the computer adjust and dynoed 5 times afterward....

We throw out the two highest and the two lowest for stock and modified- then average the final 3 together and use the results as the gains-

I am positive you could get even more with a good tune- but we just wanted to get results on an absolute stock vehcile-

We average them together instead of reporting the highest or lowest gains because we think it is fair that way-
Old 8/3/05, 07:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

OK, now that I have been driving around with this thing for a while I have noticed that the tinny vibration sound has not gone away. I can hear the sound echo off of roadside objects, and I can hear it when I give about 1/3 throttle or more. Has anyone else heard this sound? I listened down by the side of the car and I gave some throttle with my hand and was able to hear the sound. It seem to be coming from up near the cats. I made sure all bolts were tight under there and the sound hasn't gone away.
Old 8/3/05, 08:16 AM
GT Member

Hmmm...and this is the same sound that you were hearing before...or is it a different sound now?

If the ping is the same as before- it could be fuel igniting inside the converters..

or is it more of a metal ping-

are you running an aftermarket tune?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow X-Pipe Installed