GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow Catted X pipe ready- 19rwhp/17rwtq w/cb

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/05, 11:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a Magnaflow catback, the catted X made 19rwhp and 17rwtq

Still awaiting the dyno from R&D- (the dyno on our website is wrong if anyone had not noticed- R&D sent over a dyno from a design that did not make it by accident to marketing)

Picture included- Check you local Magnaflow distributor for pricing!
Old 2/17/05, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

I am assuming this is NOT legal in California?
Old 2/17/05, 01:17 PM
FR500 Member

I see cats.... could very well be legal!
Old 2/17/05, 01:24 PM
GT Member

That has to be legal. It has cats, in the factory location, so in most states, it would be legal. No one would ever know that it was changed, unless they knew that the stock pipe was an h-pipe, which has nothing to do with emissions. I knew you guys would come out with one soon, and I couldn't wait to see it. Thanks Magnaflow! This will sounds great with my Magnapacks. Oh yeah, are those new cats high flow, or do they flow the same as stock? Later.

-Andy
Old 2/17/05, 02:39 PM
Cobra Member

Not necessarily!..I have been down this road before..In california they must be OBDII compliant and have the Carb approval #'s with them or no pass the test..End of story!

Most states are Nothing like Cal Emissions requirements so regular cat converters here are useless
Old 2/17/05, 03:08 PM
GT Member

Well I can say these are not CARB legal, but they are legal in all 49 other states!

As far as CARB, we are expecting news on some new CARB approved OBDII converters soon- I will make sure you guys are the first to know if it happens-

From what I understand, there is something coming, but we are not being told at this time what years it will cover-

I for one am excited to see what we come up with.

Look for an announcement in about 2-3 months.

Thanks for your support
Brent
MagnaFlow Performance
Old 2/17/05, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by gnn60gt500@February 17, 2005, 4:11 PM
Well I can say these are not CARB legal, but they are legal in all 49 other states!

As far as CARB, we are expecting news on some new CARB approved OBDII converters soon- I will make sure you guys are the first to know if it happens-

From what I understand, there is something coming, but we are not being told at this time what years it will cover-

I for one am excited to see what we come up with.

Look for an announcement in about 2-3 months.

Thanks for your support
Brent
MagnaFlow Performance

Brent - thanks for the information and that's GREAT news. Are these bolt on's? I ask because in CA you don't have to have your car smogged for until it is 4 years old so you could run with the above "X" pipe and change them out for the smog.

Can you elaborate if the above X pipe/cat system has all of the O2 sensor hookups - so the computer is not throwing codes - i.e., so if you had to have the car serviced under warranty - they would not be able to tell unless they physically noticed the "X" instead of the "H" pipe underneath? And last but not least, how much louder is this set-up going to make my '05 GT where I already have your MagaFlow CatBack exhaust system installed?
Old 2/17/05, 04:10 PM
GT Member

The system will not change the volume of your Mustang- as the high flow converters increase noise, but the X decreses noise so they cancel each other out- All 02 bungs are there so that it will not throw any check engine lights.

These are bolt on X pipes, no welding required-
Old 2/17/05, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by gnn60gt500@February 17, 2005, 5:13 PM
The system will not change the volume of your Mustang- as the high flow converters increase noise, but the X decreses noise so they cancel each other out- All 02 bungs are there so that it will not throw any check engine lights.

These are bolt on X pipes, no welding required-

Sweeeeet!!!! Thanks for the prompt response and where do I get 'em???

Brent - I neglected to ask - the hp gains that you got with the above "X" pipes - was that on a stock Mustang with a stock tune? Seems if you have to reflash the ECU for better flow on the intake side - wouldn't that stand true for better flow on the exhaust side?
Old 2/17/05, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Will these fit to JBA short Headers?
Old 2/17/05, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks brent for the info and i did not know on a new vehicle it does not need to be smogged for 4 years, so that is looking up for me to get this after all!.I would like to know if it will work with the JBA shorties as well since I have those to put on and would like to do it all at the same time.I don't see why it wouldn't fit since the JBA's bolt to the stock collectors.
Old 2/17/05, 09:24 PM

Also need part #
Old 2/18/05, 07:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by HOTLAP@February 17, 2005, 5:23 PM
Brent - I neglected to ask - the hp gains that you got with the above "X" pipes - was that on a stock Mustang with a stock tune?

Yes, was it stock otherwise? Which mufflers did you use? Would you have to switch from stock mufflers to see the gains?

If I had a choice of paying for an X-pipe that increases hp and a muffler that does not, I would rather spend $$$ on the x-pipe before the muffler.
Old 2/18/05, 08:58 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome news. I already have the Catback with magnapaks. This would make a nice addition
I am surprised though that it would not change the sound of the exhaust at all because others have claimed that after installed an X-pipe (from different manufacturers) they noticed the exhause was a bit louder and had a lower rumble to it.
Old 2/18/05, 10:22 AM
GT Member

The dyno gains were for both the X pipe AND the catback on the car.

The X pipe part number is 15448

The catback installed for the dyno numbers was the Magnaflow catback

These numbers were achieved with out a tune. You could tune it to take better advantage of the parts

This will fit with JBA shorty headers

While you can use a stock catback with this part, in order to gain maximum amounts, you need a straight through muffler or even just straight pipes for the X pipe to work correctly

A chambered muffler will decrease exhaust velocity too much backing up the exhaust after the X before the mufflers, which will cause a loss in scavenging effect by the X

Any straight through muffler will work, SLP, Bassani, Borla, and of course Magnaflow-

I will be working with Gus from Steeda in the near future as he was also curious as to how we acheived these gains with out a tune- so he will be running some of his own tests-
Old 2/18/05, 12:28 PM
FR500 Member

When will Magnaflow have the off-road X-pipe available. I don't need cats where I live, and want to get rid of them. Any info on when that will be ready? And how about prices on the catted and non-catted X-pipes? Can you give us an idea on how much? Ballpark would be cool.
Old 2/18/05, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

This is good news. I was wondering how much hp a x-pipe would make on this car and now I know. Another mod for the to do list when I get mine.
Old 2/18/05, 01:33 PM
Bullitt Member

What gain does just the catback make? In other words, what's the gain of the X-pipe plus catback over just the catback?
Old 2/18/05, 03:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MrMorden@February 18, 2005, 2:36 PM
What gain does just the catback make? In other words, what's the gain of the X-pipe plus catback over just the catback?

Andy - IIRC the catback system alone adds very little power by itself (3rwhp?) - because Ford has already used the 2.5" mandrel bent stainless.....that's why many have just gone with the axle back system rather than the cat back. I have heard as well that the aftermarket Cat back systems may have a few less bends in it.
Old 2/20/05, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

What are these going to run ballpark?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Catted X pipe ready- 19rwhp/17rwtq w/cb