GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow Catbacks Installed

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/05, 01:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

I was waiting to tell the whole story on this until I was done with it, and today I was. So settle in, this will go for a bit...

I originally ordered the Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust System part #15881 (NOT the Magnapacks) from Partshopper.Com a couple of weeks ago. They came in last Friday (a week ago), and I happily opened the carton. Imagine my surprise when I saw two mufflers. Two left-side mufflers. EEK! So I e-mailed Partshopper and explained the situation. They were very understanding, and contacted Magnaflow, who immediately sent out a replacement set. It arrived today. Fortunately, I was going to the garage today to change out my oil, so now I had two projects to do.

The install was very straightforward. The only difficulty was each muffler had one bolt on the bracket that was right between the frame and the muffler, very difficult to get at. After much swearing, they finally came out. The mufflers popped right off, and the over-axle pipes were very easy to remove on the lift. The Magnaflows went on in the reverse order from where the stock pipes came out. That is a departure from the instructions, which say to mount the mufflers before mounting the pipes. Well, if you do that, it's impossible to get the pipes onto the mufflers. No big deal, just put the pipes on first, then re-hang the mufflers. Really straightforward process. Total install time was a little less than two hours. Could have been faster, but I was taking my time, no rush.

Let me tell you, when I double checked all the bolts, dropped the lift, and fired Caroline up, every head in the garage snapped around! A couple of the guys had asked why I was replacing a perfectly good exhaust system, and I replied to stick around and hear the reason when I was done. They did, and agreed the difference was worth it. The volume is not noticeably louder, but the tone is definitely deeper. If they do get louder as they break in, then they'll be perfect. I get many stares now, and two appreciative nods today from Cobra drivers.

Pros: Sound, looks, price (thanks Partshopper) and excellent customer service!

Cons: Slightly out-of-order directions, but not a big deal

Conclusion: Great looks, great sound, possibly great performance gains (we'll see next dyno session). What more could you ask? 9.5 out of 10.

Thanks to all the helpful people on this site who helped me decide. You guys are awesome!

By the way, I put Mobil 1 5W-20 in, and the guys at the garage didn't believe I had it until I showed them the bottles. They had been told by Mobil it wasn't available yet. When I said I had bought it at Walmart, they immediately called their distributor and gave him an earful! Thought that was extremely entertaining.

Eric
Old 5/15/05, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome Eric! Glad you like the way it turned out!