GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow catback review

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/05, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked the stock exhaust and had it been a touch louder I would've just added tips, BUT RPMOUTLET posted a bunch of Magnaflow catbacks on Ebay because they were clearing them out and I gave it a try. That being said if this review is what you like you need to keep a eye on Ebay. $350 for the entire catback brand new is what I paid.

Now on to the install. First thing you will notice is less bends in the pipes going to the mufflers. This helps on power of course, but it helps alot on getting them back in the car if you have jack stands or ramps. Just a few tips on the installation. You do not have to take the factory muffler hangers off as stated in the instructions.If you take all the pipes and mufflers loose first, then yank the pipes out, the mufflers will come out easy. If you have the car on jackstands get it up as high as possible then let the rear end assembly drop down with the shocks loose. This will give maximum clearance and you should be able to twist the pipes out. The new pipes go on easy after that. Leave everything loose and check your mufflers and tips and see if they will line up properly at the back of the valance. I could not get the driver side to match with everything the way they sent it. So I got the passenger side were it was perfect and then I went to work on the driver side. Basically the rear hanger(on the muffler) (closet to the valance) was welded at the wrong angle, so I took the rear hanger off the car and lined everything perfectly and tightened it up. Then I went back and added spacers to the hanger to get it to work right. I do not know if this is a common problem but I would put the mufflers in place and check to see how close they are before I even started. The rear hanger(on the muffler) just needs to be heated to line up without adding any spacers.

Now onto the sound and looks. The looks are great. The pipes have less bends, the mufflers hide a lot more and are nice and shiney, and the tips look great. I give it a A+ on looks. The sound at idle is deeper for sure, but I would say it's the stock sound level. The sound at part thottle is about 5%-10% louder, very small amount but it is louder. The sound at WOT is about the same, but closer to 10%. The tone is softer than the stock note, but deeper while driving. I felt the stock exhaust had a little sharper tone to it. The tone at WOT is softer than stock, but still pretty aggressive. Right now I'm still getting used to it as I did really like the stock exhaust so my vote is neutral at this time, but there are alot of positives to this system so we will see.

To sum it up, a nice system with a little more volume. The tone is softer and deeper with great looks. I just wanted to pass this along to maybe help others. Again this will NOT wake up the neighbors

Thanks Mike
Old 4/27/05, 08:02 PM
Cobra R Member

It will get louder in two weeks, as you burn off the machine oils.
Old 4/27/05, 08:43 PM
GT Member

I have had my Magnaflows for a week and agree. A little louder, little more power, no drone, and really looks great.
Old 4/27/05, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Same system I have, itll get a little louder
Old 4/28/05, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had the same problem with the hangers so I added spacers. I also really like these mufflers. Just the right sound for me.
Old 4/28/05, 07:04 AM

Hi,
I also have the Magnaflow Catback, but while I love the tone...it's just a bit too quiet for me, in fact i went ahead and ordered the SLP Loudmouths So, maybe i'm going from one extreme to the other. Gotta say that the Magna's are a quality built system, very nice lookin' and quality materials. Who knows, maybe I'll just switch back and forth every so often, depending on my mood ....summer's a comin' time to cruise with some authority

Somewhatdamaged
Old 4/28/05, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I have to agree with Ralph. I had the Magaflows and they were a little too quite for me; however, you can't beat the looks. The Magnaflow tips are awesome looking.

I switched to Magnapaks and they are much louder but I hate the looks. I personally do not know why Magnaflow did not use the same tips on the Maganpaks as they did on the Magnaflows. It's not terrible but it bothers me.

I'm thinking about running a x-pipe with comp cats and the regular Magnaflows, hopefully this will be louder than the Magnapaks. Or SLP Loudmouths with the stock pipe (but might be too loud for my wife?)

Cheers_Jay
Old 4/28/05, 10:36 AM
FR500 Member

I agree too. I have the Magnaflow axleback, and I'm sure the sound would be identical to the catback to the human ear. It was too quiet for me. So, I hollowed out my cats and it got about 2-3 times louder, with an awesome growl. But, if you like the more subdued sound, the Magnaflows are great. They will get a tiny bit louder though in a few weeks.
Old 4/28/05, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I think with it being as quiet as it is, it might let me add the X-pipe without getting extreme with noise. I haven't noticed anyone with the complete system ( catted x with quiet magnaflow) installed to get their input on the sound. Do you guys know someone that has?

Thanks Mike
Old 4/28/05, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Mike - Bryan (2005RedGT) has that setup. He said it is awesome. Check out his site...Bryan's Website

That is the setup I'm considering; however, I must say as everyday goes by I am liking my Magnapaks more and more. They seems to get louder as time goes on. I'll have a sound clip or video ready soon.

Cheers_Jay