GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mac vs Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/07, 09:08 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mac vs Flowmaster?

Which is louder? Which one would sound the best with a offroad H pipe? Are the Mac suppose to be deeper than the flows? What's the difference?
Old 9/4/07, 09:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

from what ive heard the mac is deeper and less raspy to begin with, so the flows will definately be raspier without cats....

i would assume right out of the box the flows would be louder,i have had lots of flows, but no macs before..
Old 9/4/07, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had both setups, and the Macs by far are louder with an off road h. Mind you they would probably be even louder if you throw a set of headers on. I didn't have my FRPP shorty headers on at that time to really find out. Even my old JBA's (that I've had in storage for a year) that I just threw back on sound great with my headers and off road h pipe. Have a listen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Duc0C776yQQ
Old 9/5/07, 06:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

the MACs are louder, more girble and rumble, but the drone is unbearable compared to the flowmasters!! you will have a headache when you drive in the car with MACs
Old 9/5/07, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have mac's and the drone doesnt really bother me. I would say that the macs do sound better than the flowmasters too, hence why i bought them
Old 9/5/07, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

drone doesn't bother me that much, unless I have to drive at 61mph exactly. Faster or slower than that is no problem. I've heard both macs and flows, macs definitely louder.
Old 9/5/07, 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
My wife and I just made a 850 mile round trip in the GT to Rapid City S.D. I thought the MAC's were kinda quiet and the Mrs. read her book the whole trip.Even with a FRPP X-pipe its not that bad.It does drone but maybe this old geezer is still used to old muscle hi-lift cams,headers and 2 chamber flows.Like this old 390 Javelin SST I restored.

Old 9/5/07, 12:11 PM
GT Member

I love my macs. I will also agree with JedKid that there is a certain speed/rpm that you try to avoid. I get really bad drone at about 66 mph. I'm just glad that speed limits on the highways here in Fla are 70.

As a side note, I believe I remember some posts on some Flowmasters that had a small problem with interior welds.
Old 9/5/07, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I miss my MACs :-(
Old 9/7/07, 03:40 AM
GT Member

Well, I have the Pypes off road H and I have had 4 different setups on this car. I had the Corsa's with the off road H, and it sounded like a cross between a riding lawnmower a harley and one of them there diesel trucks at wide open throttle. I had the off road H with Stingers, and pretty much the same as the Corsa's. I had the Flow's with the o/r H and it sounded good, but not quite what I wanted. I recently bought the Mac's, and that paired with the o/r h sounds awesome. I would say the Mac's are a little louder than the flows, but in a good way. The Mac's have more of a clean smooth sound compared to the Flow's.
Old 9/7/07, 05:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

+1 on the MAC's... I have people comment that they sound better from the back (riding behind) than in or near the vehicle.

Drone...what drone???

Thats the sound of Victory....
Old 9/7/07, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Love my macs too!!!!!! would never change. Plus with the manual, I can make it so they are just as quiet as the stockers when I cruise.
Old 9/7/07, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Twisted_Reality
I love my macs. I will also agree with JedKid that there is a certain speed/rpm that you try to avoid. I get really bad drone at about 66 mph. I'm just glad that speed limits on the highways here in Fla are 70.

As a side note, I believe I remember some posts on some Flowmasters that had a small problem with interior welds.
I don't know anything about the Macs but the weld problem with Flows was taken care of.. Only some of the early batches had a production problem and it was corrected at the manufacturer by the time I got my set in March 2006. The only other problem with Flows is that some people have problems with the clamps supplied by Flowmaster, easily fixed with a different clamp.

I like my Flows, including the fact that they are painted black (except the tips) and therefore blend in under the car.
Old 9/7/07, 02:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Yeah, I had that problem with the clamps myself yesterday. The clamp holding the muffler onto the exhaust wouldn't tighten up enough. It was pretty loose, so I called up Flowmaster and told them about it and they're going to send me some saddle clamps instead of the ring clamps like I had.

Part of this seems to be my fault since I didn't put the clamp on the very end like I guess you're supposed to. Here's a thread that shows how to do it.....

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ght=flowmaster

Update to the Flowmaster Disaster:

OK, so now I have the U clamps that Flowmaster just sent me shown in the pic. But, I also ordered one of these lap joint band clamps show in this link.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

The question is, which one do you guys think I should use? The U clamp, or the lap joint style clamp?

Originally Posted by mot250
I don't know anything about the Macs but the weld problem with Flows was taken care of.. Only some of the early batches had a production problem and it was corrected at the manufacturer by the time I got my set in March 2006. The only other problem with Flows is that some people have problems with the clamps supplied by Flowmaster, easily fixed with a different clamp.

I like my Flows, including the fact that they are painted black (except the tips) and therefore blend in under the car.
Attached Thumbnails Mac vs Flowmaster?-08-pony21.jpg  
Old 9/7/07, 07:45 PM
V6 Member

After listening to quite a few systems, I chose the MAC's s and they sound awesome. As far as drone goes, yes there is drone. Unless you go with the Corsa's, you will have drone. It is only at certain RPM's however so if it bothers you, avoid those rpm ranges.

The sound is low, throaty and solid! I can highly recommend the MAC's based solely on sound quality. Got mine at www.50resto.com.
Old 9/7/07, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Falchion
Yeah, I had that problem with the clamps myself yesterday. The clamp holding the muffler onto the exhaust wouldn't tighten up enough. It was pretty loose, so I called up Flowmaster and told them about it and they're going to send me some saddle clamps instead of the ring clamps like I had.

Part of this seems to be my fault since I didn't put the clamp on the very end like I guess you're supposed to. Here's a thread that shows how to do it.....

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ght=flowmaster

Update to the Flowmaster Disaster:

OK, so now I have the U clamps that Flowmaster just sent me shown in the pic. But, I also ordered one of these lap joint band clamps show in this link.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

The question is, which one do you guys think I should use? The U clamp, or the lap joint style clamp?

My drivers side Flowmaster clamp did the same thing. I repositioned it like in that first link then tightened it down but it didn't seem to go on tight enough so I loosened the nut sprayed the threads with WD40 and retightened it. The nut went on at least an additional 1/2 inch. No more rattles!

OK, back to the Mac vs flowmaster topic...
Old 9/14/07, 02:04 AM
GT Member

MACs FTW!

From what I've heard off of sound clips, anyway... I will be going with the MAC cat-back system, with LTs and a catted H.
Old 9/14/07, 07:16 AM
GT Member

I just installed my MAC axleback and it sounds killer. very very deep. I've had Flows and quite a few O/R setups (too much trumpeting and no smooth tones) and I'm liking just the MAC with everything else stock.
Old 9/15/07, 07:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Poco
My wife and I just made a 850 mile round trip in the GT to Rapid City S.D. I thought the MAC's were kinda quiet and the Mrs. read her book the whole trip.Even with a FRPP X-pipe its not that bad.It does drone but maybe this old geezer is still used to old muscle hi-lift cams,headers and 2 chamber flows.Like this old 390 Javelin SST I restored.

Nice car! My dad had a '73. He had both a 360 and a 390.
Old 9/16/07, 11:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks!