GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MAC Headers

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/07, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAC Headers

Anyone have any info on MAC long tube headers? Brenspeed sells them but I need to know about fit and finish etc. I was considering Kooks, but the MACs are a much lower price and they are coated. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 1/29/07, 08:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are talking about the LT's I believe they aren't full length they are more like mid lenght's, that's why they are cheaper then most LT's. I was really debating on getting these but just took off my cat's instead. I know a guy on another site that installed them along with the mac prochamber and he loves them. He said fit and finish was great, I wouldn't expext any thing less than that from mac.
Old 1/29/07, 08:52 PM
Former Vendor

I sell that same package for 899 shipped to the door. MAC is great quality stuff. I have had nothing but luck with their systems. They are currently having a problem with all catted systems, but I spoke with them and gave them a line on high flow catalytic converters. They should be back up in a month or so with cats!

Anyway, let me know if you're interested... that's for the MAC long tubes which are 1 3/4" setup, and the 2.5" prochamber to match it, without cats. They are sort of "mid length" like mentioned above. They are supposedly a very nice HP gain. I have 2 sets in stock.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 1/29/07, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
I sell that same package for 899 shipped to the door. MAC is great quality stuff. I have had nothing but luck with their systems. They are currently having a problem with all catted systems, but I spoke with them and gave them a line on high flow catalytic converters. They should be back up in a month or so with cats!
what kind of problems? I guess that explains why I can't seem to find the prochamber with cats anywhere! Hope it comes back soon
Old 1/29/07, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor

The company Catco who they were getting their high flow cats from (as well as ourselves) decided to stop warrantying their pieces of **** cats. So everyone got stuck with a bunch of faulty cats that they SAID were going to be warrantied. So now, we have a new supplier. I called my buddy at MAC and let him in on it, and they should be good to go soon.

btw, your photography is sick! those b&w car shots are amazing!
Old 1/30/07, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I assume these MAC mid-length headers will directly bolt-on to the stock cats?

Can I also assume their performance is better than shorties, and not too far off from LTs??

Has anyone here tried to install them yet? Are they a PITA like LTs, or something one could easily do while lying on your back in the garage?
Old 1/30/07, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor

You assumed correct on both items there. Direct bolt-up and much better than shorties. The install (according to MAC) is very similar to LT's. They're not too bad, though. On the back isnt that fun, unless you have someone standing helping you from above the motor.
Old 1/31/07, 02:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Wait, so Mac headers bolt up to the stock cats? If thats the case I'm moving headers up on my list Do you need to retune for headers?
Old 1/31/07, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a set of mac LT's ordered with the off road legs for my off road prochamber already on the car...going to dyno the car before and after the install, hopefully by the end of next week...will post results but i've heard of 15 to 20 rwhp gains....we'll see.
Old 1/31/07, 09:27 PM
Former Vendor

Wait a minute, I just looked above and saw. Here's what MAC offers.

They're long tubes that have prochamber setups that bolt up to the long tubes... one in a high flow cat and one in an offroad. High flow catted is about $60 more, but MAC's out of cats temporarily... so about 2 months out.

The one that goes to the stock cats, is just a direct fit, not for long tubes.

These LT's are configured just like any other, they take a special LT-specific X/H pipe to tie in below the driveshaft. I talked to a MAC representative today who claimed 20hp gains LOW ESTIMATE? When I get someone at the shop who wants a set, I'll dyno tune them to confirm.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/1/07, 11:27 AM

So if they don't bolt to the stock cats, what hi-flo cat systems can we use? I don't like the prochamber, so what are my options? Are these headers a good choice for a daily driver?
Old 2/1/07, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor

GREAT choice for everyday driver!!!

Mac has a high flow cat prochamber that will fit with those headers. They're about 60 bucks more... but like I said MAC won't have cats for a few months.

Or if you want to custom fab, you can purchase the longtubes with the offroad prochamber that fits with it, and cut out the prochamber and have someone weld straight sections in there?

The right way to do it is to go with the prochamber, unfortunately. I personally love the prochamber stuff, but alot of guys want that straight through design.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/11/07, 10:56 PM
JGT
V6 Member

The company Catco who they were getting their high flow cats from (as well as ourselves) decided to stop warrantying their pieces of **** cats. So everyone got stuck with a bunch of faulty cats that they SAID were going to be warrantied. So now, we have a new supplier. I called my buddy at MAC and let him in on it, and they should be good to go soon.
My catted Mac Prochamber is giving me a P0430 check engine light. Would this be considered a faulty cat (and something worthy of a warranty return) or is this just the result of a picky computer that will now require me to disable the 02 sensors with my tuner?
Old 2/12/07, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor

Yes, that's the catalyst system below limit light for bank no 2. That's a common problem with the MAC systems, and Catco won't warranty the cats because their customer service sucks. I would weld in some Magnaflow high flow cats. Then you'll have no problems. Yes, disable the rear 02s as well.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/13/07, 08:19 AM

Yes, that's the catalyst system below limit light for bank no 2. That's a common problem with the MAC systems, and Catco won't warranty the cats because their customer service sucks. I would weld in some Magnaflow high flow cats. Then you'll have no problems. Yes, disable the rear 02s as well.

CR
Tillman Speed
Thanks for the info. I am planning on going an entirely different direction once I buy headers. For now I am just going to throw on an offroad h-pipe.
Old 2/13/07, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor

Let me know, I can probably beat pricing on them. The Pypes off-road H is 170 shipped to the door!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/13/07, 08:13 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with Tillman!
CR won't steer ya wrong....

[Prochamber install happens Saturday, CR ]
Old 2/13/07, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Go with Tillman!
CR won't steer ya wrong....

[Prochamber install happens Saturday, CR ]
Let me know how it turns out! That should be a hassle free install, and I think you'll get the results you're looking for!

AND THANKS ON THE PLUG, TOO!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 5/1/07, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

ANyone have the MAC headers installed with clips?
Old 5/1/07, 05:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I pulled the trigger and ordered the MAC LTs, Im gonna custom fab my H-Pipe to fit it....

Quick Reply: MAC Headers