GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MAC Exhaust Drone - MAC response

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/05, 04:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by GbNNP@May 9, 2005, 10:34 PM
Another vote for Magnaflow, no drone.
I see "Sirius" in your signature. What system did you get? Do you recommend it?
Old 5/10/05, 04:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could not take the MACs. I cannot believe they were designed for that noise. I was in pain, waiting to switch them out for the magnaflows for a couple weeks.

My wife was not aware of the MAC mod. She is real low key, and has no interest in the Stang thing - -an no objection. I start the puppy up the morning after the install. She said it about shook her out of bed, shook the house, and to expect calls from the neighbors. For me, the sound was really overboard.

The drone was exhausting.... pardon the pun. It was tiring listening to that up and down the road to work.

With the Magnaflows, I have had comments from friends they hear me coming from a block a way, but not in an overpowering sense.

Also, I think the Magnaflows are quieter than stock at 75mph and up. But, I also find they do drone some at 2k, and less so when the car has been running.
Old 5/11/05, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dfhurleydude182@May 9, 2005, 8:06 PM
Yeah ALL chambered mufflers drone. Bottom-line. MAC, FLowmasters, Borla, etc. they all drone from around 1900-2100 rpms. There is no fix except to get a quieter muffler or a straight through muffler that won't hurt your poor little ears. And as far as your son not having drone on his '04, that's bs... I for one LOVE the drone and sound of the chambered mufflers. I might be swapping out the 40 series to some 10's(1-chamber) sometime soon.

So if you really can't live with it, then your best bet would probably be magnaflow. They won't be as loud as MAC but they still sound good.
Your right about Flowmaster and Mac but incorrect about Borla . Borla is a straight through design similar to magnaflow and Bassani.

Ok now thats out of the way and we can get onto the topic of exhaust drone. Guys if you wanted a quiet car then go and buy an import. Every mustang I have ever ridden in has had exhaust drone around 1800-2200. Even my bone stock 91 hatch 5.0 and my bone stock 00gt. That is part of the car deal with it. If you dont like it go and trade it for something quiet. If you test drove the car then you should have noticed that there is a slight drone. Personally I like the drone other than on a long trip it makes you tired.
Old 5/11/05, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@May 11, 2005, 5:11 PM
Ok now thats out of the way and we can get onto the topic of exhaust drone. Guys if you wanted a quiet car then go and buy an import. Every mustang I have ever ridden in has had exhaust drone around 1800-2200. Even my bone stock 91 hatch 5.0 and my bone stock 00gt. That is part of the car deal with it. If you dont like it go and trade it for something quiet. If you test drove the car then you should have noticed that there is a slight drone. Personally I like the drone other than on a long trip it makes you tired.
Missed the point Andy. A lot of us have decades of experience driving and modding muscle cars, and live at the dragstrip. Loud doesn't bother us. We love loud. A car ain't a car without making an aural statement. I rattle the house every morning at startup, and start car alarms when I leave work. Love it man. But the drone that exists at this rev range, even on the stock muffler, is apparently above board on a limited number of folks with the MAC muffler (at least that's the only one I've read about with complaints). I have one and it's a female dog. Interestingly, it's either become less of a nuisance as I get used to it or the drone isn't as bad. Don't think I thought about it at all today, although I had Hendrix cranked up most of the drive time.

I have an 04 with MAC's and it drones too, but it's not INTRUSIVE--in fact, I kind of like it. I recall my old Camaro having a drone. I don't think my Roadrunner did, but I guarantee you it would loosen your bowels and clean your teeth at full throttle.

I'm really going to try to post some digital sample this weekend if I get a chance. I'm just not sure how well it will come off my digital camera, but I'll try to snag my son to give me a hand recording the samples...

John
Old 5/11/05, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is a teaser- but look for a post soon with a bunch of new pictures I just took-
SWEET!
Old 5/11/05, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is a little input. I have sold a lot of the Mac axlebacks and what I have found is it is very hard to make everybody happy because "sound" is so subjective. I have had customers say they wished it would have been louder, and then others say it was to loud for them. In the end it just comes down to the preference of ones own ears. I run them on my 05 GT and dont find the drone to be an issue and I think my 99 with Mac's drones worse than the 05. Maybe if I drove 60 miles a day I would think different, but for now my ears give me a thumbs up.

Good luck to all.
Old 5/11/05, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BRENSPEED@May 11, 2005, 8:06 PM
Here is a little input. I have sold a lot of the Mac axlebacks and what I have found is it is very hard to make everybody happy because "sound" is so subjective. I have had customers say they wished it would have been louder, and then others say it was to loud for them. In the end it just comes down to the preference of ones own ears. I run them on my 05 GT and dont find the drone to be an issue and I think my 99 with Mac's drones worse than the 05. Maybe if I drove 60 miles a day I would think different, but for now my ears give me a thumbs up.

Good luck to all.
I am one of his satisfied customers. I love the sound. Long trips get alittle loud. Everything else is great. Lots of people want to know what exhaust I am running.
Old 5/12/05, 07:41 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by BRENSPEED@May 11, 2005, 8:06 PM
Here is a little input. I have sold a lot of the Mac axlebacks and what I have found is it is very hard to make everybody happy because "sound" is so subjective.

I agree 100%
Old 5/13/05, 10:37 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Borla here. One of the louder exhausts. There is drone, but I really don't mind it at all. I like the humming as I'm going down the road. I'd trade a tiny bit of drone which is tolerable for this awesome sounding exhaust anyday.